Sign in to follow this  
wwonka41

Please suggest a good Absinthe from this side of the pond.

I don't want to stir a hornets nest or anything but I was just wondering if you kind people might suggest a U.S.A brand that actually possible to obtain. It seems like a lot of small batch goodness is near impossible to obtain. I actually wanted to try some of the Jade line but for now its looking like I need to make my goals a little more reachable. So what are some good U.S. brands that are actually available today...not sold out. Sold out doesn't do me much good. Its great that the distilleries on here tend to announce new offerings of new products. So now that I'm a member, I will be keeping a keen eye out for the next batch of Jade or other desirables and quickly put an order in. I know everyone's opinions vary according to taste but let's all pretend I have a virgin palette for real Absinthe. I've tried a few Fauxinthe that don't even show up in the sites search engine....that can't be good.

Peace

You can at least get the Jade Nouvelle-Orleans in a few states. Other good (hell, even great) US brands are Ridge, Marteau, Pacifique, Leopold Brothers, and Delaware Phoenix are all very high quality and very tasty.

If you like blanches,La Clandestine is a very nice swiss absinthe available from DUNY.

Edited by redwun

Catskill Cellars & DUNY simply rock for online absinthe vendors. There is a very good reason why they head-up the recommended vendor list for WS. http://wormwoodsociety.org/index.php/absinthe-vendors-commercial-32

You can at least get the Jade Nouvelle-Orleans in a few states. Other good (hell, even great) US brands are Ridge Vilya, Marteau, Pacifique, Leopold Brothers, and Delaware Phoenix are all very high quality and very tasty.

We're having trouble getting used to it, too. Montana sez Ridge Distillery no longer exists. Weird.

That seems a bit excessive but as my oldest put, Ridge Distillery is going the way of the dod and lickable stamps. But that doesn't mean there will be even the slightest change in the product inside the bottle. Not a whit.

Now them Extrait d'Absinthe Verte shirts.... Good as gold, I tell ya! :secret2:

Besides the ones listed by Ambear, I would add Toulouse Red if you happen to be in New Orleans. It uses hibiscus in the coloring step, so it is a bit different, but I (IMHO) find it quite tasty at a high dilution.

Can't go wrong with a bottle of Butterfly - I get that over here in England so hopefully you can get that in the States.

Not yet but I hear rumors that the producer is working on Butterfly distribution in the U.S. which would be awesome since it's a recreation of an American pre-ban. It's currently made is Switzerland though.

Which reminds me, I have reviews to type up.

Unless you're going to get stuff shipped, what's available is going to depend on the state (and even city) you live in. For example, here in Dallas, I have plentiful access to Vieux Carre (hallelujah!), St. George, and Kübler, but I have to make a pilgrimage to The Colony (or Ft. Worth) to pick up some Clandestine (don't ask me why). So check your local stores first and see what they have to hopefully save a few bucks on shipping. If they're a bigger chain, you can also check their website and see if they have local inventory online (many do). If so, head on over to the review sections and see what sounds like a good choice based on what's available locally. I'm sure you can find at least one solid absinthe locally. Otherwise, plan a pilgrimage for Easter or order something online as suggested. Cheers!