JosephLabrecque

REDUX Absinthe - Golden Moon Distillery

I was able to stop by Golden Moon Distillery this afternoon for a little tour and a tasting. Tirador has some really nice stuff cooking :)

Initial impressions from tasting Redux Absinthe, Golden Moon Gin, Dry Curacao, and Crème de Violette...

Golden Moon Gin

Possibly the smoothest gin I'd had the pleasure of tasting. Very drinkable by itself with a very nice taste to it.

Dry Curacao

Have never had this before but it was quite nice and citrus-like. Dessert?

Crème de Violette

This was pretty amazing. Floral and flavorful... having never sampled any other Crème de Violette... I cannot say much but this was very enjoyable.

Redux Absinthe

Quite a show. A nice, natural green color as to be expected - the louching process is long and involved... lots of great trails! Serious trails. Fully louched- it appears on the thicker side (not at all thin) and looks marvelous. This absinthe has (what I would consider) a traditional aroma and taste and I really appreciated the full mouthfeel and the lingering flavours after it was gone. Just the right amount of numbing too. Really nice work - if I happened across this at a local bar, I would definitely order it. Wouldn't mind purchasing a bottle to have around the house either :)

I'd definitely recommend anyone in the area to stop by. The tasting room is nice with a cozy bar and full fountain. Very easy to locate off of highway 6 in Golden, CO - I'm terrible at finding stuff and had no problems locating it.

Cool, well that's a little more information about it anyway. Thanks for giving your impression, JL.

Picked up a bottle of this today and am enjoying a glass before lunchtime. Really quite excellent. Same great louche I remember from my tasting some months back. Bold herbs. Very pleased!

So, if anyone's going to Tales of the Cocktail this week feel free to track us down and say hello. I'm co-hosting the Absinthe Cocktail Lab with Ted Breaux, and we'll be pouring our core products (REDUX Absinthe, Golden Moon Gin, Golden Moon Creme de Violette, Golden Moon Dry Curacao and Golden Moon Amer dit Picon) in both the Craft Distiller's events.

As always I'll have a flask of REDUX Absinthe in my back pocket ... and if you ask really nice I might even have a taste of our soon-to-be-released Genepi as well.

I'll see at least some of you soon!

Stephen

Thank you all that came out and saw me and my team, drank with us, went to the Absinthe Cocktail Lab ... and etc. this week at Tales of the Cocktail. Great seeing you all ...

Edited by Tirador

Good seeing you and hanging out a bit as well ... sorry we had to leave early Friday. We needed to go to the Bar Fight to support our Colorado friends at Williams & Graham.

So the other day Shabba asked me about a cocktail that my lead barman created at Golden Moon Speak, called the Polar Vortex. SO, here it is ...

Take egg white, 1.5 oz of REDUX absinthe, 0.5 oz of orgot, 0.5 oz simple syrup, 0.5 oz heavy cream ... dry shake ... then shake w/ice to get really frikin cold ... strain with a hawthorn strainer from a as high as possible ... top with soda (also from high-up in a thin stream so as not to damage the head).

A pic of that cocktail is available here:

http://www.goldenmoonspeak.com/menu/absinthe/

Just received a shipment from DUNY, which included the Redux and also Jade 1901. First impression of the redux is favorable...fairly intense herbal profile...maybe with minty notes present in the mix? In some ways, it reminds me of Ridge Verte, though I think I slightly prefer the latter overall.

Shabba, any plans to add Redux to the review list on the main site?

Absolutely. I just haven't gotten a bottle yet, so I have yet to have a review to post.

Also, for everyone who has a review for a product not yet listed, you can opt to submit an entry for said brand at any time by clicking the 'Add New Listing' button at the top of any page of reviews.

I try to make it a policy to not ask for free bottles. I find it a bit tacky.

What I meant was that I just haven't gotten around to buying one yet. :) Not because I haven't wanted to, but because it's been several months since I've bought any absinthe. Simply because I have so many on-hand I still need to review!

Shabba,

I figured that ... but we gave away a bunch rather then carry it back from NOLA to Colorado ... so there were bottles for the taking. Next time ....

I just received my first bottle of REDUX today... The first word that came to mind with my first sip was, "Damn."

I'm not an expert by any means, but this is a great absinthe, imo. I really can't wait for it to age a bit but... I just have to leave it alone so it can *walks away slowly*

This definitely earns a spot on the "Order More, NOW dammit!" list

Just received our bottle in the mail today. :headbang:

Peridot green. Louches slow and steady. Pretty opaque in appearance; slight translucence at the top. Murky green. Thick, but not exceedingly so. Aroma is very herbaceous, featuring spicy fennel, sweet anise, minty wormwood, some floral notes, and a little lemon balm. A slight mustiness in the smell as well. Fairly traditional absinthe taste. Hits sweet on the tip of the tongue. Over all, on the sweet side, but balanced nicely with the wormwood. There is an earthiness and grassiness to this absinthe as well. The wormwood itself is minty upfront, followed by a slight lemony bitterness which completely cleanses the palate. The wormwood certainy asserts itself in this absinthe. Slight Juicy Fruit gum sweetness. The slight aftertaste is that of the wormwood and some of the fennel spice. Numbs the gums and tongue quickly too. Overall, a very nice absinthe. If Meadow of Love gets a 4.7/5, we’d give this a 4.4/5. The only thing lacking is that the flavor doesn’t linger nearly as long as one would like. It's also a little too mellow in the flavor department for our liking (i.e., some of the ingredients could be a bit more pronounced). Minor grievances aside, if you haven’t tried this absinthe, it’s worth a purchase. :thumbup: 4:1 water to absinthe ratio used for this review; no sugar.

Edited by Alfred Jarry

*certainly

As Hemingway wisely worded: "Write drunk; edit sober."

That's what we get for writing sober! :twitchsmile:

Edited by Alfred Jarry