JosephLabrecque

REDUX Absinthe - Golden Moon Distillery

... but I also know the likelihood of giving a silver medal to an exquisite absinthe that's going to be the next PF is low as well.

And I'm just not as sure of that as you seem to be. I really do have little faith in the average spirits competition judge when it comes to absinthe. I can actually remember reading about one competition where more than one of the judges admitted to having never tasted absinthe before that event. I'm certain I've seen outcomes where some artificially colored, oil mix product has "out medaled" an authentically made absinthe that enjoys a far better reputation with those in the know. I just don't have time to do the searching right now.

I know which one you're talking about, and I think in that situation the judges were asked to compare apples to oranges (while being told they were all absinthes) and in that case, being uneducated is definitely a problem. I think they also had many, MANY absinthes they were drinking through, and at the end, no one's palate can handle that.

But given TWO absinthes that are both able to be classified as true absinthe (which is an assumption I'm making about Redux, because there's not much info about it out there), I think it's going to be a truer comparison.

Redux not getting a gold makes me more wary in buying the product.

I don't agree with that.

What I see in any spirits competition is that a bunch of people I don't know, who have an unknown experience level with absinthe, like A more than B for an unknown reason..

It means next to nothing for me.

In combination with their website providing minimal information, and the producer not being willing to say much on here regarding his methods and product or answering other products, it's enough for me to wait for feedback from someone else.

Redux not getting a gold makes me more wary in buying the product.

I don't agree with that.

The last time we entered our verte in contest, we lost to Pernod. Major sponsor of the contest? Ricard Pernod. I'm not saying there is a particular cause and effect here and I willingly admit my prejudice but really, wtf. Ya know? Unless you know the absinthe judges know what they're doing, why bother?

The point is in our mind(s), contests don't mean a damn thing. Sure, it's great to hang a medal around a bottle but when it comes to absinthe, The Wormwood Society's reviews carry a ton more weight. I won't slight the good people that win at contests but contests don't mean shit for anyone except the marketing folks.

I have a blog post in draft form that I really should've posted by now about competitions and awards. It's been sitting there since I started my blog, I'm just wary of pissing off the spirits industry in one swoop.

To clear up any confusion, all I want people to hear from me is:

-I personally don't care about any awards that any absinthes get as I have yet to see a competition worthy of awarding anything. As Joe pointed out medals are good for marketing but I'm not a soft sell kind of guy. Give me data.

-Speaking of data I would like to know more about REDUX, if possible. As it stands it's a great unknown and this is the thread for the product so can we get back on it?

-I'm not talking shit about any brand of absinthe here, just competitions.

Tirador and I first met in France last June. Before that, we'd battled for years over antique distilling equipment, books... suffice it to say we've shared a few nastigrams in the distant past.

But since we now know eachother pretty well, he asked me to show up this week for his hands-on distilling class at ADI. I helped little, except when asked. And then Thursday we had a few off-the-schedule training sessions with a smaller group of distillers and really had some serious distilling discussion. Most importantly, we had a lot of fun. We also enjoyed many good spirits with many good people - some old friends, some new friends.

Back to Tirador - his distillery is humble: a nice Deroy Fils "Simplex"; a "Black Forest"/bain-marie alembic [Friedrich Kleinschmidt, Singen (Hohentwiel)]. I had fun playing with them throughout the week.

I don't get the sense that he's trying to cash in on anything, he certainly has the ability to live comfortably away from distilling, he just seems to be feeding his creative bent.

On Redux:

You can find a lot of back info on FV 2007-9. And what I see is the maker has a lot of respect for the tradition of absinthe, and historic methods. As well as a respect for other distillers, and a willingness to consult with many 'notables' (both commercial and pre-commercial) of the absinthe community.

Someone who's very first post is about sharing a pre-production of Roq. 1797 with Oxy is certainly coming onto the absinthe market with some provenance.

A lot more visible background than most of the new CO's coming onto the market from some of the US micro's.

Granted, you have to dig back in time to see it.

So do you spend time getting your website fancy and up to date, or do you spend time in the distillery, herb garden, or the many other hassles of getting your product into production? (no right answer, it depends. Some want to create the buzz, then the product; some make product then the buzz)

As for discussing you product on an absinthe forum, considering the tone of the forums in 2007-9 period, I understand why someone might be a bit sceptical about jumping back into the mosh pit.

I don't disagree with any of this as long as it is not an excuse to redefine what absinthe is, or to explain away a poorly made or otherwise unacceptable product.

Certainly not. As Amber had mentioned, there are times when an absinthe's flaw may more more obvious ("too tailsy") as a result either of misinformation about or a lack of experience with proper distillation practices. To be clearer, there may be two very well made absinthes that fit within the standard, but one may be really hit you with anise up front while another does not. One may have a slight spiciness, and one may be overall very mellow. Some people use lavendar, and some like to add coriander. These qualities can all fit within the realm of absinthe, though it is likely that personal prefernces may lead customers in different directions.

Just for the sake of clarification--though as I've previously stated, I agree that competitions (especially those judging absinthe--I won't name names, but there is a judge for a competition in the East Coast that admitted to me that some members of their judges panel had never even had absinthe before) can be flawed--the Denver competition does not necessarily award a spirit in each category. The judges do reserve the right not to award, so even if only one absinthe is entered, that does not guarantee them the gold.

I won't slight the good people that win at contests but contests don't mean shit for anyone except the marketing folks.

I mean, I'd be lying if I said it doesn't feel pretty good to have a medal, but otherwise, I agree! Great for marketing, great for possibly providing a little push to customers who are in a toss up between buying one product or another, but... One word: PBR. (I guess that's more three letters than a word, but you get the point.)

You missed out, Trinity! Thursday was a great deal of fun, even though I arrived a little late. Tirador is a great host who not only produces some very interesting spirits (his creme de violet was my personal favorite) but he also has a very open door. This is something that I feel is often lacking in the micro distilling industry in the SE. The time I spent with Tirador and Grim was inspiring!

While I agree that some competitions seem to suspiciously favor their sponsors, I don't think this is indicative of a rigged system universally. It's true that there's not a lot of people who have enough exposure to some spirits to qualify as an expert judge in certain categories, but that shouldn't be an immediate discount of their service to the industry. The micro-spirits industry is still very young, and rapidly growing. This growth builds demand for more comprehensive training in senory analysis specific to spirits. Sommeliers have long been
established and once had to master the three major categories: wine, beer, and spirits. With the explosive growth of the micro-brewing industry, cicerones emerged with rigorous creditials backing their knowledge. It won't be long until we have a broader base of educated and experienced judges which we can look to for more objective criticism.

That said, I'm very interested to see what happens when the ADI expands its panels to include Absinthe and how it breaks down her various styles into categories.

I'd like to hear more about that creme de violet...

I tried to send you a private note but it appears it didn't go through, so I figured I'd post here.

Our Creme de Violette is the only true distilled product of its type on the market today (anywhere in the world). We use a lot less sugar than anyone else (1/3 to 1/4 of what other brands do). We bottle at 5 to 10% more alcohol than anyone else too. We use more than just violet petals to flavor the spirit, we use three botanicals and use more of the violet plant than just petals. This gives is a more complex flavor profile ... so much so that people are asking for it neat.

Send me a note or an e-mail and we can discuss further if you'd like. Nice to hear from you too (we corresponded about other things a long time ago in a place far far away .......).

OK it's official, we're label-approved, listed in Colorado and product is on it's way to the distributor! New York, California and Louisiana are in process too!

Oh, and for those of you that are here in Colorado and so inclined, you can get it at our tasting room too.

Z Cuisine’s absinthe bar in Denver killed their first bottle of REDUX Absinthe in less than four days ...

Pfft. Amateurs. At last year's Great American Absinthe Festival, we averaged a bottle every 30 minutes. Then, we got warmed up. :devil:

Just teasing, Tirador. That's great news!