Sign in to follow this  
JosephLabrecque

Curious: When having a "couple" absinthe...

So when having a "couple" absinthe... do you all stick to one brand or deviate amoung many as the mood strikes.

I've found myself to be a wanderer, recently.

Today for example: Walton Waters, Pacifique, Leopolds...

I generally won't drink more than 1 oz. of absinthe at a time. I will sometimes have a glass after a beer. Sometimes in reverse. I tend to have 1/2oz. Of one brand then another.

I rarely never have two glasses of the same absinthe in a row. 3's a good number for me.

Unless I only have one bottle. But I try to prevent that scary situation as much as possible

Two glasses from two different brands is typical for me. Usually the more expensive one first.

If I want thirdsies, It will be the cheaper one, or maybe just grab an arak. (Taste bud get kind of numb anyway, can't appreciate the more delicate flavors by that point)

I enjoy tasting a wide variety so we frequently use 2oz tasting glasses. When it's time to sit down and relax with a glass,

the usual choices can be counted on one hand and only rarely do we ever have more than 2 glasses.

only rarely do we ever have more than 2 glasses.

Honestly, I'd say the same for me, even at the risk of ruining my ruined reputation. :laugh:

Now, beer, on the other hand... :devil:

Well... There are some absinthes that call for a "petite soeur", that is another glass of the same :)

But I follow the main trend : one good first (sometimes a Tarragone, a man has his pleasures), then less and less qualitative.

Unless I am in Couvet, of course (and then again, mainly at the chalet where only La Petite flows)

I usually tend to only have a single glass, though if I'm drinking with someone else, I make sure we have different kinds.

I tend to always have variety when drinking more than one glass. But I don't follow a descending quality curve; if I drink an average absinthe after an outstanding one the average one will taste terrible by comparison. So my preference is to drink different ones but on the same quality level.

Yeah, I always dabble in different varieties in a single sitting. I don't usually even plan it out. Just bring out all the bottles, set them up on the table, and pick whichever one grabs my fancy. Like tonight:

IMAG0454.jpg​

Guess I'm odd out - I tend toward 3 or 4 glasses over the course of an evening (not every evening mind you ;) ), and I always stick with one bottle for that evening. I've got a number to choose from and each has it's own qualities, and generally only one suits the mood of the evening.

@Joe Legate - Ridge/Vilya is definitely going to make it into my next order in April! (which will it be!?!)

The good thing about trying out a bunch of different brands is you get to know what you like and what you don't like. From what I've read here and in comparison to other absinthes I enjoy - I believe that I'm going to enjoy your product quite a lot.

Look for the Ridge label. We'll shout it out when the transition is complete and we start using the Vilya label. Ch-ch-changes they take time. Cheers!

What Louchey said. Though sometimes I'll follow up with a sazerac to draw out the life of my stash while still having a hint of the taste of our dear lady.

Just received and popped the corks on Marteau and Ridge Blanche... haven't had either of these before. After reading so many wonderful things about them, I'm looking forward to trying them and comparing their different profiles.

That should be a very interesting comparison! :biggrin: I hold Marteau in high regard and of course I enjoy our blanche but the differences between the two may well over-shadow any similarities. Have fun! :cheers: