The Frenchman, Absintherie Bourbonnais, Phil Fumoux. You don't hear much about it on here, and theres not a lot of information I can find. I've tried three of their products. The Absinthe Apocalypse, which was pretty nice I thought. The Le Chat Fou, which I read was a contract absinthe, and to me shared similarities with Walton Waters. And the Zubrsinthe. Which was damn decent. Now they are of a "lighter" variety, granted. No powerhouse absinthe like Ridge or Pacifique, nor of a very green color either but darker. But I had no problem drinking any of them (if that counts for anything). I've read the topics I can find through my limited ability to use the search function, and most comments or topics are a few years old. I see where he has just released a cold compounded absinthe Zola, 84%. I probably won't try that one just yet, but the wife does want to try the Raisonnee, the one with Don Quixote on the bottle holding an absithe spoon instead of a lance, http://www.absinthefrenchmanspoon.com/produit/6181

And I wouldn't mind trying the barrel aged Napoleon III either. It looks nice enough. I enjoy, as I'm sure most of you do, trying new absinthes. And I don't have to have the best of the best, or only top scoring absinthes all the time, and look down my nose at anything less than stellar. And am glad Phil is doing what he does. Even though it may not agree with everyone.

Thoughts? Opinions? On the distillery, the distiller, or the products as of recent?

Or am I just pickin' a fight? :pirate:

The products that I have tasted have been ok. I do enjoy the Zubrsinthe. Wasn't a huge fan of the Raisonee. It was decent, yet very basic. As my reviews say, they aren't bad, but it's hard to justify buying a basic absinthe as a similar price point to one that is more complex.

Phil's not a bad guy, but I think he and Boggy have mind melded a few too many times.

I saw Phil's Apocalypse on EBay, and the price was pretty hard to ignore. I think it was about 45 per bottle or so with shipping. It's well-made and balanced, yet for me lacks that bit of extra spark. Zubrsinthe and Boggy 3 are very good, and the Napolean prototype I tried a year or so ago showed a lot of promise. There's no question that he works hard to make authentic and correct absinthe, and his heart is certainly in the right place. He is genuinely passionate about all that is absinthe. There is a lightness to some of his work that some will love, and others will feel needs more depth. Apocalypse is a perfect example.

Edited by Scott M.

. I see where he has just released a cold compounded absinthe Zola, 84%. I probably won't try that one just yet,

You can totally skip that one.

He made it as a kind of protests. The label even says " production malheureusement de France" or 'an unfortunate French production'

The name implies that it was the cheap, gin-shop absinthe of the lower working class, As depicted in Zola's "L'Assommoir::"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Assommoir

Phil talks about it here:

http://www.museeabsinthe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2088

Edited by TheLoucheyMonster!

I'm uhh...boycotting unless I get some for free. :euro:

I like the way you think. :euro:

You can totally skip that one.

He made it as a kind of protests. The label even says " production malheureusement de France" or 'an unfortunate French production'

what's the point in that? Protesting what? Why intentionally make crap? And if you know it's crap why offer it for sale?

He came by, insulted a few members, and said he didn't need any yankee money. So he's not getting my yankee money.

I've heard good things about his products though. Much like Amber, I'd like to try them but not out of my pocket with the way he acted around here.

For what it's worth, if those of you who bought Apocalypse still have some, you might want to try it at a fairly low dilution... even 2.5:1.

At 3:1 and higher, it was just a bit flat for me, but the spice, and sparkle are much more present at a lower dilution, and the alcohol is not overpowering.

try it at a fairly low dilution... even 2.5:1.

the spice, and sparkle are much more present at a lower dilution, and the alcohol is not overpowering.

To me, that's where an absinthe really makes its mark. If it can hold up at low dilution, with no disagreeable aspects, and still be smooth and flavorful, then that's gooood sippin' to me. Now granted, not all the time do I enjoy it that rich, but when the mood calls, I know which ones to reach for.

On another subject, Is it true that Boggy will be releasing new absinthes in the near future? I'd be very interested in trying those as well. The Zubrsinthe is the only one of his I've had. And I quite like it.

The Zubrsinthe is the only one of his I've had. And I quite like it.

OK, that one keeps moving up on my 'things to try' list. I have not read any strong negatives so far.

If I was Boggy, I would work on perfecting the Zubrsinthe. It sounds like he has something both unique, and good, going with that one.

He came by, insulted a few members, and said he didn't need any yankee money. So he's not getting my yankee money.

I've heard good things about his products though. Much like Amber, I'd like to try them but not out of my pocket with the way he acted around here.

Who are you to write "said he didn't need any yankee money." ?

Yes, i confirm, i don't need money from USA or from other part of the world !

But i don't see why i could say that i don't need money coming specialy from USA ?

About "He came by, insulted a few members"

If i did, it should not be for free.

My english is so bad, it is so long time for me to write in english, that i can't insulted someone in english easily.

It is true that I am fighting against the doctrinaire installed in absinthe world.

But i don't see why i could say that i don't need money coming specialy from USA ?

My english is so bad, it is so long time for me to write in english, that i can't insulted someone in english easily.

It is true that I am fighting against the doctrinaire installed in absinthe world.

I am myself, and I will judge the world as I see fit, that is who I am to judge.

The quoted might be a paraphrase but that is how I and a few others felt about your statements. I don't feel like searching old threads to bring up what you specifically stated, so you'll just have to work with that paraphrase.

You came across that way and I made a decision. I don't support people who are assholes, whether or not they believe they are noble in their cause. Another example would be my decision not to purchase VdT absinthe while their IGP was active. Or my decision to fire back at Pernod and La Fee for duping consumers with artificial coloring. They all have their excuses they tell to make themselves feel better, but in the end their actions speak for themselves and I'm not one to just sit by and say "ok".

Maybe try using honey instead of vinegar if you wish for different results. If I wanted positive feelings from any of the above mentioned parties, I would not be using so much vinegar myself. So far my vinegar (along with other factors) has been effective for the change I wanted from each of them.

You approached us with an attitude, did it have the effect that you desired? If so, why are you bothering to bring this up again?

I am myself, and I will judge the world as I see fit, that is who I am to judge.

The quoted might be a paraphrase but that is how I and a few others felt about your statements. I don't feel like searching old threads to bring up what you specifically stated, so you'll just have to work with that paraphrase.

You came across that way and I made a decision. I don't support people who are assholes, whether or not they believe they are noble in their cause. Another example would be my decision not to purchase VdT absinthe while their IGP was active. Or my decision to fire back at Pernod and La Fee for duping consumers with artificial coloring. They all have their excuses they tell to make themselves feel better, but in the end their actions speak for themselves and I'm not one to just sit by and say "ok".

Maybe try using honey instead of vinegar if you wish for different results. If I wanted positive feelings from any of the above mentioned parties, I would not be using so much vinegar myself. So far my vinegar (along with other factors) has been effective for the change I wanted from each of them.

You approached us with an attitude, did it have the effect that you desired? If so, why are you bothering to bring this up again?

Ah, ok, you are The Judge, an other one.

I hope you a large flock of sheep...

You right, the world is waiting for your yankee money.

You are The Judge with lot of Yankee Money, and people outside USA await your crumbs.

I know that outside should be dirty and dangerous for you, but I wonder if you've traveled a bit outside the USA ? Even with a mask !

Edited by Muse De France

Poor Monsieur The Judge, which one country has traumatized you with your yankee money ?

But i didn't come here to speak with Mr The Judge, even if it is very interesting psychoanalysis discussion .

I saw that some people are looking for my past makings of accessories,

and that some europen wholesaler/retail are selling stuff like coming from "Frenchman Ltd" my old company.

So for information, i stopped to make absinthe accessories since 2 years, i am clearing my remaining stocks.

My past US partner is doing same.

If you would like one of contact who made stuff for me,

contact used at this present time by liars / fakers still using my name,

please contact him directly :

Royal Antiques Exports <royalant@gmail.com>

I have no reason to give a job that I have developed over the years for free at few crooks.

Now that my distillery and my shop is running, I begin to work on a new line of absinthe accessories.