Sign in to follow this  
Todd

The Perfect Hemingway

Got my Dom now all I need for my Perfect Hemingway is my bottle of Jade PF 1901 in route from absinthes.com. *crossing fingers it makes it! :police:

post-3931-0-45735400-1360906368_thumb.jpg

It's decadent and a bit of a luxury feeling of being spoiled (hell, we even had absinthe that was a lot nicer that 1901)...definitely not my favorite champagne to blend into a DITA though.

I agree.

In my opinion, mixing two quite complex products will often not work. They could clash, just like two really strong personalities can clash. And because you will have opened up a bottle of DP 2003, you may feel you need to finish it then and there.

For me, the perfect DITA would be one I can share casually with a few good friends, who would appreciate a good prosecco or cava just as much.

Tell us how it goes.

oh I plan too. thus far I have experimented and consumed 2 lucid, 1 N. O., 1 VC, 1 Kübler and Im on my 2nd bottle of mansinthe.

I will admit that when I was first looking Into absinthe my first bottle was lucid. I also tried a classic french preperation using It. which I found through Ignorance and most likely Ill preperation that I did not like It. It wasnt untill I discovered the DITA that I began to truely enjoy absinthe. so far with the champagne I have found that the drier the champagne the better the mix. also with some champagne study I have found If you dexant It to reduce the bubble feel and let some of the co2 out persay and open the wine to air to bring out flavor the better the DITA Is. the DP Isa brut so Im fairly confident It will make for a nice pairing.

And I thought you just had one too many DITAs! It's interesting how palates differ. I like DITAs best with a softer, off dry to slightly sweet style of Champagne or other sparkling wine. I've found the DITAs I've done with brut style sparklers to be just... brutal, and this squares with what we know that both acidity and CO2 tend to intensify flavor impressions. So I need the bit of sugar present in these types to balance the increased perception of bitterness in the DITA. And I'm not a guy who regularly sugars my absinthe.

And while I would never discourage anyone from experiencing a drink made with a decadent combination of ingredients (hell, I've made a couple cocktails using a 50 year old Cognac at a retail cost of close to $20 an ounce recently), if DITAs are your thing, and you want to use authentic Champagne, you should spend some time really getting to know Champagne. There are so many lesser known Champagnes that outperform the big house offerings it isn't funny. And many are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of DP and they generally drink better at a young age. Other than Moet & Chandon insiders, no one knows for sure how many bottles of DP are made in years it is produced, but by all estimations it is a metric shit-ton. If one applies any logic, it is pretty evident that the selection of material can't be all that discriminating to be able to do this. The best way to look at DP is like it is to the Champagne world what Johnny Walker Blue is to the Scotch world.

I like using Moscato d'Asti when the mood strikes. :paperbag3:

I've been meaning to ask you about champagnes, particularly since I've found a profile that I enjoy and was wondering where to go from there.

First off, a gentle correction. That drink is not a Hemingway (a wonderful twist on a daiquiri, with added awesomeness). It is a DITA- The Death In The Afternoon. ;). Hemingway created it specifically as an overly-decadent cocktail.

Yes, I was there (rumors swirl that it was my idea in the first place to suggest this when the question of 'most decadent cocktail ever' came up... but this doesn't 'AT ALL' sound like something I would do...) for the delightfully sinful experience in question.

First off- a disclosure. The DITA is not one of my favorite cocktails. It lacks balance of any kind, and it is very 2-note (onacount of it having 2 notes). Also, it is usually served with a brut, and I find it is one of the few times I find a demi to be a much better choice. (after looking up and reading FPB, I noticed he said the same things I thought, exactly, but wrote it much better, so- go re-read what he said, and read my post as 'ditto'... including the remark about Johnny Walker Blue/DP.)

Still, I won't- EVER- take back that thrillingly guilty night in Montana a year ago. I'll never forget it, and always have the fondest of memories of it. I have been quoted in a publication or two as stating "I felt like I was eating an ortalon, and that I should have a napkin draped over my face, that God might not see my sin."

And

I thought you just had one too many DITAs! It's interesting how palates

differ. I like DITAs best with a softer, off dry to slightly sweet

style of Champagne or other sparkling wine. I've found the DITAs I've

done with brut style sparklers to be just... brutal, and this squares

with what we know that both acidity and CO2 tend to intensify

flavor impressions. So I need the bit of sugar present in these types

to balance the increased perception of bitterness in the DITA. And I'm

not a guy who regularly sugars my absinthe.

I agree, I rarely sugar as well. This was something I wanted to try while drinking DITA's one night a year or so ago. :drunk:

But just like you I have found that I too need to sugar the Brut as well. My 1901 arrived this evening and I opened my bottles with the proper respect that two respectable brands deserve. The DP is a beautiful golden color, it's smell I cannot put into words other than old. It doesn't have the fruity scent i'm accustomed to from younger champagnes. The Jade 1901 is vibrant with anise just after opening. It has the slightly greener jade from the N.O. and looks amazing.

With my first taste I was surprised. Normally the DITA will put hair on your chest from a first sip of the evening, but these two are extremely smooth. I do not even feel the slight bite of high content alcohol on the back of the throat. The taste is a little like Alan said. Power houses trying to vie for control, but being my first glass and all though the DP being a brut I did not sugar. I currently have had 3 sips of my first glass and can feel the numbing feeling of alcohol. 4th sip now, I am still trying to put to words the taste. I will have to agree with Alan for my first glass they tend to clash for taste. Currently I have some more DP I put through an aerator into my decanter. Giving the DP some more time to breath from being in a bottle for 10 years. Once I finish this glass I will add a sugar cube to the next and see how things play out from there.

Some photos to share with you guys B)

post-3931-0-74619400-1361849184_thumb.jpg

post-3931-0-81339300-1361849212_thumb.jpg

post-3931-0-59253400-1361849223_thumb.jpg

post-3931-0-33710300-1361849234_thumb.jpg

Edited by Todd

Wonderful pics! Thanks for posting!

All from a 8mp htc evo 4g smart phone. I shrunk the picture size in paint.

Your welcome :)

Edited by Todd

Dom 2003 brings back a few hazy almost forgotten memories.

It's decadent and a bit of a luxury feeling of being spoiled

Still, I won't- EVER- take back that thrillingly guilty night in Montana a year ago. I'll never forget it, and always have the fondest of memories of it. I have been quoted in a publication or two as stating "I felt like I was eating an ortalon, and that I should have a napkin draped over my face, that God might not see my sin."

Montana, indeed! :thumbup:

Here here. To MT and sinful DITAs and the whatnot that ensued. :cheerz:

It was a pretty good night.

It didn't suck.

Still, I won't- EVER- take back that thrillingly guilty night in Montana a year ago. I'll never forget it, and always have the fondest of memories of it.

My feeling, too. It was one of the most delightfully hedonistic weekends I can remember (most of). I have every intention of trying to recreate that atmosphere come September.