• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RadarGreg

RadarGreg

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

Hi all,

I'm going to be in Washington state in a couple weeks doing a look around before I move there this summer, and I wanted to pick up a bottle or two to take back home with me. Ideally, it would be nice to stop by one of the distillers in the area and buy directly, but I am not sure about the time available.  I will be primarily staying the Puyallup during the week, but will have a car and able to drive around.  I'm not familiar with Washington state liquor stores and who can carry what products, so I'd like some advice on where to best shop.  I did a search on the forums, but the Seattle listing seemed rather old and possibly outdated.  The Pacific Northwest will be a first for me, so any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

I like my absinthe like my women; bitter and intoxicating.

#2 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Will you be coming up to the Seattle area?  Whole Foods, and Total Wine in Bellevue, and Esquin Wine & Spirits downtown, all have decent selections and have some of the better pricing in town.  All three stock Marteau and Pacifique, but call ahead in case they're sold out.  There's also a Total Wine in Tukwila, which is much closer to Tacoma.  

Unfortunately, neither of the local absinthe distilleries sells on-site.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#3 RadarGreg

RadarGreg

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for the tips!  Seattle isn't so far to drive, so I think I will look them up and pay them a visit.  It will also be nice that the Absinthe Festival is going to be in the area too later this year. I will finally get a chance to meet many of the members here and take away from their knowledge and experience of absinthe.

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Washington state charges a 20.5% liquor tax plus a $3.77/liter tax, and those prices aren't included on the sticker price.  Just so you're not shocked when you get to the register.   The sticker prices are generally lower than you'd see elsewhere, because of the tax not being included.  

"The decline of the aperitif may well be one of the most depressing phenomena of our time." -- Luis Bunuel

#5 RadarGreg

RadarGreg

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

Wow, thanks for the heads up, Ryan.  I've gotten use to living in Germany where the tax is included on the sticker price, which is nice when you are calculating your total shopping bill.

#6 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

If you have an Android smart-phone, there's an app for that.  

If you have an iPhone, there's an app for that, too.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#7 RadarGreg

RadarGreg

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Just downloaded the Android app.  Thanks for the tip!  Assuming a $65 bottle of 0.5L absinthe, the state does take their fair share.  I guess hobbies and vices do have their price, haha.

#8 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Whether it's the state's fair share is debatable.   ;)  They make more from a bottle of Marteau than I do.

If you're going to buy more than a single bottle, it's actually cheaper to order from drinkupny.com than it is to buy locally, even with shipping.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#9 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Higher taxes creating a bigger carbon footprint through unnecessary shipping! Say it isn't so! :devil:

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#10 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

I know, right?  I make it in Seattle, but somehow it's cheaper to ship it to NY and back, directly to the customer's door.  What's wrong with this picture?

www.absinthemarteau.com

#11 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

Gubmint.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#12 RadarGreg

RadarGreg

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Dang... now you have me in a moral dilemma.  Do I support the local business trying to make a living, but at a much higher price, or buy cheaper from a distant retailer, but increase my carbon footprint like a humvee with a bad tuneup?

#13 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

All in all, that's still a good dilemma to have.  I would hate to be in an area where you can't get Pacifique or Marteau or have them shipped to you either.  Even in my part of the state, I can't get them in a local store and that's almost reason enough for me to move (when you live on the eastern side of the state, any reason is good enough to move though :) ).

"The decline of the aperitif may well be one of the most depressing phenomena of our time." -- Luis Bunuel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association