Sign in to follow this  
Gwydion Stone

2013 Forum Upgrade

You may have noticed that the forum software has changed slightly with the new version. The most dramatic difference is in how the Rich Text Editor (RTE), the thing with all the text editing features, handles quotes. There's a trend away from using BBCode, the

type tags, so now a lot of the hand-coding options we had are either modified or gone.

Frankly, the new editor isn't very user friendly, so you should expect to need patience while learning how to use it.

You can always switch the RTE off and just use plain text, by clicking the little light switch icon in the upper left of the editor's toolbar. Sometimes it helps to toggle it back and forth while composing posts that need particular formatting.

And if you want to read how others feel about it, check out this thread at the IPB forums.

I had a spot of trouble editing out a typo (it wouldn't let me type), but it was easily fixed by clicking on the full editor. This forum seems miles ahead of others in respect to interface, and is extra easy on old iPhones.

There's a trend away from using BBCode, the

type tags, so now a lot of the hand-coding options we had are either modified or gone.

[Viseguy reply starts here...] Too bad. Part of the inevitable dumbing-down of user interfaces, I suppose. Speaking of dumb, there's a flaw in the parsing engine. Notice how it insists on adding an end-quote ("

") to balance the deliberately unbalanced "

" tag in in your post?

Thereby destroying the use-mention distinction that has been preserved in BBCode until now?

[...Reply continues here.] And when I try to insert spaces after the open bracket and before the close bracket to make it into a faux-tag, it strips out the spaces, turning them back into live tags, which I don't want -- and which is messing up the formatting of this reply. Don't you just love software that knows better than you what you want to do? :blowup:

PS: Standard keyboard shortcuts, like Ctrl-B for boldface, no longer work either. :blowup:

Sign in to follow this