Riley5

Adnams Absinthe Rouge

It'll be a cool, pinkish-magenta-lilac at first, depending on how much anethole it contains (whitening). In that clear bottle it'll probably turn more crimson, and finally yellowish-orange with time, depending on how much exposure it has to UV rays, temperature, exposure to air, etc. Probably not a candidate for a window display. There are ways to stabilize the anthocyanins without using anything other than botanical ingredients, but I don't know if they've done that.

Rouge absinthes generally strike me as gimmicky, and generally of dubious quality. There are always exceptions to this though.

Hibiscus coloring tends to fade fairly fast into the yellow-orange Gwydion mentions above, especially in a clear bottle.

Feel free to pick up a bottle, and let us know how it tastes though. Always curious, and love when I am proven wrong on something (especially in a good way).

I'll bet even Rosinette was considered gimmicky in its day, considering that rouges never caught on. Of the unusually colored absinthes, rouges bother me least if they're colored naturally. Could be worse, it could be purple... or black. :shock:

I've got a bottle of this in the cupboard and was going to crack it open to do some reviewing this weekend. I'll try to snap a picture or two while it's louching.

Hi all,

The colour is from Hibiscus flowers and has so far proved quite stable except where, as Gwydion points out, it is stored in strong direct sunlight. The Louche is good, producing a nice pink colour with light dilution, turning bluer as dilution increases. The colder the water the better the colour.

the hibiscus does add to the flavour, giving a slight candied fruit element to complement the more prominent anise.

Ambear, I look forward to hearing what you think of it. Have you tried our Verte?

Kind regards

John

Head Distiller, Adnams

Amber and I just got a bottle of the Verte and Rouge. It actually seems that the color has changed more so in the Verte.

We plan to review both this weekend. We'll be sure to post the reviews soon instead of sitting on them for a week or so as is our usual lazy way. Maybe even take pics for once.

The bottles are stored with the rest of our absinthe which is far away from sunlight.

"Where the sun never shines" is a pretty apt description of my apartment...in addition to that, it's in a cabinet I have to use a flashlight to find things.

Like Evan said, the verte is not particularly green anymore...it was very olive-oily when it showed up. The rouge is still lovely and I locked it away pretty quickly...I don't want it to go the way of all the Maitresse Rouge bottles I've seen.

I'll see what I can do, Brian. :secret2:

I've been working on a bottle of the rouge for the past 3 weeks and have some decent photos, though I'm way backed up on review writing.

At first I wasn't sure what to think. The metallic and raised label design is great and the deep ruby red color is very impressive if it came solely from botanicals, I was afraid the deep red would signal overbearing hibiscus notes (see the Un Emile Rouge reviews at LFV). Initial tasting seemed to bear this out with the fruity red flavors going crosswise to the trinity herbs and star anise being a bit too obvious in between (if you called me a star anise hater you would not be wrong).

However, after some aeration, it seems to have settled down remarkably well. The red flavors now flow quite nicely with the traditional absinthe profile with a nice smooth fullness. The star anise is now subtle and unobtrusive; probably one the more balanced applications of star anise I've come across.

We'll have to see how it develops further (some rouges tend to be better fresh and not age as well as vertes), but so far I gotta say this is one of the best "authentic" rouges I've tried. The flavors expressed are not what you'd expect from a verte or a blanche, but in this case I think that's a good thing and it helps to further solidify rouges as their own legitimate category.

Hey look at that, kinda almost wrote a review. I'll have to plagiarize myself for the official write up.

I'll try to upload some of the photos soon, but for now here's a nice YouTube find:

Were you able to try the Rubis? It was beautiful, and I'm wondering how this will compare. Just a few short hours until I get to try it out. :thumbup:

I hope you're correct about the star anise being balanced.

Yes, I got to try the Rubis (courtesy of a WWS member), though the redhead had gone resolutely blonde in my sample . I'd probably say the Rubis is just a bit better than the Adnams at this point, but they both compare favorably.

After another tasting last night, it seems that water ratio is a significant factor in the flavor balance. At 3:1 it was a little clashy and the badiane a touch too much, so I'm thinking 3.5:1 to 4:1 might be a more optimum range.

If you get some nice pics, upload them with your reviews!

whoa! :shock: You can do that?

I can't seem to find where this happens. Maybe it's editor-only? I have a handful of pictures for the verte as well.

I bought a bottle of this and broke it out last week. Overall, I liked it. I do think ratio is pretty important for this one, but when you find the right balance, 3.5 to 4 - 1 as GB said above, it's very pleasant tasting.

Edited by King_Stannis

The best I can say is that this was most like an absinthe at about 4:1. At other dilutions I found it enjoyable and curious, but not so much within the profile of more traditional absinthes. It's really hard to escape the floral and soapy thing, at least to my tastebuds. The key takeaway here is that it was enjoyable. There are other idiosyncratic absinthes that are completely off-putting, but this isn't one of them. Thanks to GB for bringing it round for tasting.

I received today my first bottle of Rouge. I think it's a very recent batch. I saw it was out of stock for months on absinthes.com, with a notice it would be back in 2016. It's lovely, well balanced, and the color is glorious. I need some more time to know it, but it seems more intense than Awen Rouge, and less harsh than Neuzeller Malvales. It made me nostalgic of an ayurvedic hibiscus-based preparation I use to drink decades ago in Pondicherry, India, named "power syrup". It loved it...