Sign in to follow this  
PuppetMasteX

Absinthiana knowledge request

Word to the wise, if you after have to eat another person, be sure that the brain is fully cooked. You can get a severe and fatal neurological disease if you eat undercooked brain. And you will actually die smiling  :)  due to the neurological affects. I doubt even absinthe can prevent this inevitability. 

--your friendly neighborhood anthropologist

Actually, no. The prion that causes human spongiform encephalopathy, aka Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, is not destroyed or denatured by cooking. Which is the reason that BSE has become a huge issue, due to the feeding of rendered slaughterhouse offal to cattle (mostly brains and nervous tissue; but prions have been demonstrated in connective tissue, muscle, and organs in lower concentrations). It was originally thought that insufficient rendering temperatures were the cause of prion infections; but later tests showed that the prions were unaffected by even higher cooking temperatures. Unfortunately, there are still places that have not yet banned the feeding of rendered offal and garbage to cattle. And it's been effectively demonstrated that the prions responsible for the various forms of SE can cross the species barrier.

Word to the wise, if you after have to eat another person, be sure that the brain is fully cooked. You can get a severe and fatal neurological disease if you eat undercooked brain. And you will actually die smiling  :)  due to the neurological affects. I doubt even absinthe can prevent this inevitability. 

--your friendly neighborhood anthropologist

Actually, no. The prion that causes human spongiform encephalopathy, aka Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, is not destroyed or denatured by cooking. Which is the reason that BSE has become a huge issue, due to the feeding of rendered slaughterhouse offal to cattle (mostly brains and nervous tissue; but prions have been demonstrated in connective tissue, muscle, and organs in lower concentrations). It was originally thought that insufficient rendering temperatures were the cause of prion infections; but later tests showed that the prions were unaffected by even higher cooking temperatures. Unfortunately, there are still places that have not yet banned the feeding of rendered offal and garbage to cattle. And it's been effectively demonstrated that the prions responsible for the various forms of SE can cross the species barrier.

Would you guys hurry up and figure this out! I am trying to eat my neighbour (ritualistically of course) and I want to prepare the brains safely.

(totally off-topic)

And somewhere along those lines I misread it as 'Creutzfeldt-jackalope'..

Sorry, jack's have been on my mind too much when I found out they were real:

Jacks for real

aren't they cute?

but it's bunnies with antlers! Okay.. freak antlers.. but antlers.. sorta..

Fun fact is that the same thing can strike people as well

people with horns..

Man, has this gotten off topic..

First cats,

then cannibals,

now horny rabbits...

And now beans..

Man, has this gotten off topic.. 

First cats, 

then cannibals, 

now horny rabbits...

And now beans..

Or we are back to cannibals..Hannibal the Cannibal that is..

Actually, no.  The prion that causes human spongiform encephalopathy, aka Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, is not destroyed or denatured by cooking.  Which is the reason that BSE has become a huge issue, due to the feeding of rendered slaughterhouse offal to cattle (mostly brains and nervous tissue; but prions have been demonstrated in connective tissue, muscle, and organs in lower concentrations).  It was originally thought that insufficient rendering temperatures were the cause of prion infections; but later tests showed that the prions were unaffected by even higher cooking temperatures.  Unfortunately, there are still places that have not yet banned the feeding of rendered offal and garbage to cattle.  And it's been effectively demonstrated that the prions responsible for the various forms of SE can cross the species barrier.

Oh, Ok. I do the cultural stuff, not the biological, and simply added the cooking tip to be humorous. I stand by everything else I said in my post.

I hear eyeballs are supposed to be squishy. I wonder...if you drip absinthe over them, will they catch on fire? Could give a new twist to the czech sugar ritual. ;)