Braggi

A newcomer intro from an old friend

Greetings from Santa Rosa California! It feels a bit strange coming out here as I've been a fan of absinthe for about 15 years now, a bit of a local expert for at least 10 and have referred literally hundreds of people to this site for reviews and information on absinthe. The first absinthe I tried was a home made brand and I've yet to find a commercial brand as good though some are getting there. I'm very happy to pour a fine glass of Marteau or Pacificque and I'm thrilled that some of the best absinthes in the world are made right here in the USA. I'm also VERY tired of explaining that US made absinthe is REAL absinthe and that much of what comes out of Europe is NOT real absinthe. I'm sure many of you can relate.

I've been steeped in absinthe culture from my first introduction to it and have watched with great pleasure the re-legalization and subsequent growth of interest in absinthe around the world but especially here in the US. I went to Paris in 2009 and was horrified to discover most people there thought it was still illegal; even owners of bars. Thankfully that perception has mostly changed at this point and now it's just getting over the hurdle of understanding that absinthe will not make you psychotic nor will it make a person hallucinate. How many times have we told the tale?

I've done a lot of virtual sharing with Brian and Alan on facebook but most of you I don't know. I'm looking forward to making online friends here and hopefully to meeting many of you in real life in the years to come.

I'm very interested in gatherings both formal and casual and was pleased to see there are plans for a 2013 meeting in the Seattle area. I hope to make that one.

I go by Braggi online but I also answer to Jeff or Jeffry.

So glad to meet you!

Thanks Alan, and it's so good to see a person here who represents some of the best that Europe has to offer. I'll be back in Paris later this summer. If there are any brands I should sample while there I'm open to suggestions.

Was that you posted all them fine reviews yesterday?

No, not me. I don't usually do absinthe reviews. I like to line 'em up and see which glass is the first one to get emptied and which one the guests ask to refill.