23 replies to this topic

#1 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

Hi to all,

after having verified with Gwydion whether he was ok with that, I'd like to propose here a small service I propose on one of the French forums.

Some must know that I often go "treasure hunting" on French antique markets. Some must also know that I have far too little space at my place to store too many things.

Therefore I often leave on flea markets glasses (even reservoir (but not Pontarlier) ones), common spoons (a good quantity of them), and so forth.

Therefore, I would like to propose the following : in this topic, anyone can post some lines like the following

nickname - object sought for - quantity - max price per unit in € (without port)

and I would look for it on my next hunts.
Full honesty here : if I can strike a good bargain and lower the price for you or a group of you, you will get the items for cheaper, but I'll take a small margin. No that will never make hardly enough to start a business, it's just feels normal that I help you enhancing your gear, I should be able to enhance mine also ;)

The rules are the following :
  • You post, I find, you pay, shipping included - Be sure you have the money set aside, I don't know when I will find. I use my own money if I buy for you, the least you can do is hold your promise to buy. If you can find a solution for cheaper shipping (grouping, etc) I am all ears.
  • Common items only - What is rare can be found here, or here. Ask for simple spoons, simple glasses, even why not a JR fountain, but if you ask for too rare a thing, I will tell you that I cannot find it for you. I may occasionally find a rare item, but it will either be in poor shape, for me, or for a close friend.
  • First come, first serve - There has to be a rule for that. For a given item, I will propose it to the first to ask for it.
  • Exception to rule 3 : Taylor made is for you - If by chance I find a group of items which suits perfectly what someone asked for, it will be granted to the person who asked. I don't separate lots.
  • 100 posts min - It's not much to get, but proves that you have a definite interest in absinthe, and reduces the risk that you are merely an antiques seller
  • Market's a bitch, get over it - There are extraordinary bargains. Some may profit from it (for example if I find a group of glasses/spoons). Most of the time though there won't. Moreover the market for common items is volatile, prices raise and drop. Don't come and tell me that a few months ago the same item went at a cheaper price. Don't come and tell me that the item you payed has lost market value. I know. That's the reality, and I won't/can't do anything about it
  • My life - I do that as a free service to fellow absinthe lovers. But it is I who does it, and here are the final limits : if my health prevents me from going to flea markets for a while, I just won't go, no need to pester me, and also, if you have been rude/impolite to me, I will not add or even remove your name from the list.
I will try to answer each and every post to indicate the feasibility in terms of rarity, max expected price, "would you rather like ...", and such.

Now go, the game is yours

Clément
Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,789 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

Cheers, Clément. This is an awesome idea.

I, for one, would never criticize you for taking a percentage as a commission for performing such a service.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,586 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

Obviously, nor would I. :thumbup:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#4 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,303 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Clément is an honorable man. Anyone who doesn't know him has nothing to fear. See you in July my friend! Perhaps we can hit that market together?

#5 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

We'll definitely do

#6 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Bestest idea I've seen in a while.

#7 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

Sample, this morning : 4 mint condition "losanges incurvés 2" (uncommon but not rare) vintage spoons, would have got them for less than a repro :)

#8 King_Stannis

King_Stannis

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Clement, I am looking for a vintage spoon of any kind. Do you use PayPal for payment?
"The king's brothers are the ones giving Cersei sleepless nights...Lord Stannis in particular. His claim is the true one, he is known for his prowess as a battle commander, and he is utterly without mercy. There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man." - Varys

#9 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

I have an account, so I may, if you pay the fee.

Any vintage spoon is quite easy, I'll definitely find something quite soon. What's your price ? I ask that, because according to your max price, I could adjust the "beauty" of the spoon :)

Edited by Clement Arnoux (Aggelos), 04 February 2013 - 04:32 AM.

#10 King_Stannis

King_Stannis

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:44 AM

Around 30-40 usd, which I think would be around 25-30 euro. I don't need a super rare or beautiful one, just a good serviceable spoon from the era. Don't worry if you go over a little though. I have no idea what kind of price you would have to pay, so if that is too little to budget just pick one up that fits the criteria and I'll pay it.

And thanks again for doing this!

Edited by King_Stannis, 04 February 2013 - 05:50 AM.

"The king's brothers are the ones giving Cersei sleepless nights...Lord Stannis in particular. His claim is the true one, he is known for his prowess as a battle commander, and he is utterly without mercy. There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man." - Varys

#11 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

Noted. That's a comfortable amount to work with. If available, I'll try to match a good spoon to that.

Otherwise, what would you prefer, if that happens :
- Several spoons for said amount
- One spoon for a far lower price
?

Because with such an amount I could negotiate on quantity ;) Oh, and remember that you have to add the expedition fees in you budget.

#12 King_Stannis

King_Stannis

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:45 AM

All things being equal Clement, I'd prefer one spoon of the best possible value for that price. If for some reason that doesn't work out and you can get a few, so be it. I guess I am saying that I trust you and use your own judgement. And again, the budget is just that. If you go over because you spot a great value for 10euro more, by all means go for it. I will thank you for it.

That budgeted amount was just for the spoon. I realize your fee and the shipping will be on top of that.

Happy hunting! :)

#13 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

Understood. Then I'll take my time to find something of the best value for that price. Should be feasible ;)

#14 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

First off, wonderful idea, and a really great service you are offering to the members here. I thank you for your thoughtfulness!

Always interested in spoons, Clement. 20-30 Euros would be my range/limit. Also, I'd love to have a matched pair of glasses- non-bubble, heavy weight, medium/larger-sized.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#15 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

First off, wonderful idea, and a really great service you are offering to the members here. I thank you for your thoughtfulness!

You are very welcome kind sir, and many thanks for your praise

Always interested in spoons, Clement. 20-30 Euros would be my range/limit.

Same question as above : quantity or "quality" ?
For example for 30€ I could have easily grabbed the 4 mint condition "losanges incurvés 2" I mentionned above. And it's a very nice looking kind of spoon.

Also, I'd love to have a matched pair of glasses- non-bubble, heavy weight, medium/larger-sized.

Torsade are easy to find in pairs, Yvonne can be found easily also, both match your criteria. Would that be ok ? Your budget for that ?

#16 xcj

xcj

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

I don't need a super rare or beautiful one
Don't worry if you go over a little though.

Famous last words :twitchsmile: :laugh:

Clément is an honorable man.

:thumbup:

#17 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

Hum, this morning hunt did not bring anything good. Overly expensive fleches 5, because the seller had them silvered anew (which, in my opinion should lower their value, not raise it), once nice lyonnais glass, but no one wanting it, it was left there, some nice trefle spoons, but not nice enough for me to buy them thinking "they will definitely love that".

Well, better luck next time

#18 King_Stannis

King_Stannis

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

No problem Clement, it's a marathon not a sprint. I am patient and can wait as long as I have to until you find something you think is worthy. :)

#19 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

Don't worry, I know that. These reports are just a way to expose you guys the truth of flea markets : what I see, what is acceptable, what is not ;)

Yes this is a marathon, and I won't lie, it's usually easier to score on ebay, but such is not the scope of this hunt :) I am glad to see that you understand fully the terms :p

#20 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

The spoons sound brilliant.  PM me and perhaps give me a range on glassware that you'd be looking in, and we can go from therre.  Again, major thanks for doing this for the group here.  :)

You are very welcome kind sir, and many thanks for your praise

>Always interested in spoons, Clement. 20-30 Euros would be my range/limit.

Same question as above : quantity or "quality" ?
For example for 30€ I could have easily grabbed the 4 mint condition "losanges incurvés 2" I mentionned above. And it's a very nice looking kind of spoon.

Also, I'd love to have a matched pair of glasses- non-bubble, heavy weight, medium/larger-sized.

Torsade are easy to find in pairs, Yvonne can be found easily also, both match your criteria. Would that be ok ? Your budget for that ?

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#21 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

Tomorrow's a big one.

The trick is, professionals could access the brocante today, and that may be that. But it did not prevent me finding good things there in the past (a year ago I found two tour eiffel after all).

Stay tuned

#22 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,303 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Yes you did Sir, and I'm stirring my soup with one of them tonight.

#23 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

Well, I've looked, I've tried, and found nothing matching my expectations for you kind sirs.

There was a lot of common spoons and glasses, but everything was "wrong". Cordon glasses had their dose filled with glass, east glasses were too expensive and in bad shape, there was one Yvonne which was quite acceptable, but I did not inquire for the price, as nobody asked for an Yvonne.

As for me... I found for myself something so exceptionnal that I will not talk about it further until I have confirmed with more experienced collectors that it is a genuine article

#24 King_Stannis

King_Stannis

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

No problem Clement. I thank you again for trying! Perhaps something will present itself in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association