Argyle

Greetings from Norway :-)

Never had much liking for Absinthe until I tried proper Absinthe while visiting Berlin last summer. In Norway, only two types of Absinthes are available and both are of that cheap Czech toothpaste tasting, atomic green/blue pre-sweetened shit. Horrible stuff. Being an seasoned whisky man, that is by far not good enough. When in Berlin I was served French Absinthe in proper manner and that really blew my mind. I've solved the "Absinthe availability issue" by ordering bottles of this outstanding fine liquor from abroad. Not a really cheap or practical solution, but so far it is the only possibility I have to get hold of this outstanding gift from nature. Then again, not much is cheap nor practical in Norway. ;-p

Being a newfound Absinthe drinker, I have much to learn, but that's what I love. Only problem, apart from the availability issue, is that in Norway any spirits above 60% is illegal. I regard this as a minor problem though, because next to my likings for fine spirits, I love traveling. All in all, it's just another excuse for going abroad. Planing on going to Paris in the spring of this year, and hopefully I'll be able to visit Switzerland next year. If anyone have any recommendations on what Absinthes I really need to give a go, it will be much appreciated.

Also, if you have any recommendations for "Absinthe destinations", that will also be much appreciated. :-)

Best regards and peace to you all

Lars

Welcome!

If you could make it to the next American Absinthe Festival that would be a nice way to try lots of things. I've definitely gotten quite a bit of use out of the various offerings at the ones I've attended.

There are the Swiss and French ones as well but I'll leave comments to those who have been there.

Welcome to the Forum!

Also, if you have any recommendations for "Absinthe destinations", that will also be much appreciated. :-)

Best regards and peace to you all

Lars

I know a pretty welcoming place on a small hill in Montana, should you find yourself in the neighborhood.

Hej Lars

Great to see more Scandinavians in the world of Absinthe!

For Absinthe destinations:

Fête de l'Absinthe in Boveresse and the Absinthiades in Pontarlier is in LoucheyMonsters link above. Also the museum just outside Paris is recommended if you catch the absinthe antiques-fever: http://musee-absinthe.com/

Hej Lars!

Nice with yet another Scandinavian here. :thumbup:

As a suggestion I'd go for what Père Ubu said earlier, but don't do the mistake and buy the second on Hartsmars review page. There's nothing "prestigious" about, whatsoever, believe you me! I've tried it and it was absolutely the worst, so far. Toxic waste... Valkyria is the only one from my country worth attention, but the distillery of Valkyria will soon also launch a new absinthe (mentioned here).

You wrote about spirits above 60 % ABV being illegal in Norway. Does that also mean it's illegal to bring it with you into Norway, like if you were to bring a bottle of Valkyria (68%)? Is it maybe even illegal to possess?