Sign in to follow this  
JosephLabrecque

Incoming Denverite: Unsigned lurker for over a year...

Evening, all.

As the title suggests; this is my first post (just joined today after reading these forums for well over a year) and I am from Denver. My absinthe journey began about a year and a half ago when I acquired the gift of an absinthe fountain, glasses, spoons, and a bottle of neon-green Czech "absinth". It didn't louche at all... looked fake as all hell... tasted crummy... and cost way more than I want to admit the gifter paid.

Mid-summer 2012 I discovered *this* wonderful resource and also that there were two local distilleries in the Denver area that produced traditionally distilled absinthe (Leopold Bros. and Overland Distillery). I began with a bottle of Trinity (from Overland) and then Leopold. What a magnificent difference from my former experience! The absinthe louched properly, was creamy, delicious. I do believe the bottle from Czechoslovakia will remain on my shelf (half-empty) until I pass from this world... as I do not plan on consuming such an offensive "beverage" ever again.

The past six months have seen a number of Leopold Bros. absinthe bottles come and go. I really enjoy their product - but am now branching out. I've placed an order for a number of absinthes that are not available locally from Catskill Cellars (Pacifique, Walton Waters, and Vieux Carre) and am quite curious as to how they compare to my beloved Leopold.

I also figured I've had enough lurking and decided to join in on the conversation. It's been an eye-opening journey and imagine there is much more road to tread. Cheers!

Todd, Joe, Cheryl. Rob & Marc all make excellent absinthe that will rival the best Europe has to offer. Congratulations on your tasteful adventure! :cheers:

And of course, welcome to the Forum.

Welcome :cheers:

There are a couple of absintheurs from your neck of the woods running around here.

Edited by Père Ubu

Welcome! I remember you from the article and video a while back.

Harvesting the Wormwood in Trinity was definitely an intense experience, but Loveland made Absinthe had to be done, I'm glad it was one of your first!

The past six months have seen a number of Leopold Bros. absinthe bottles come and go. I really enjoy their product - but am now branching out. I've placed an order for a number of absinthes that are not available locally from Catskill Cellars (Pacifique, Walton Waters, and Vieux Carre) and am quite curious as to how they compare to my beloved Leopold.

Welcome! I'll be curious to hear your comparisons. I'm a newb and Pacifique was my first absinthe, but I'll soon be casting around for others to compare and contrast it with.

Thanks for the warm welcome, all.

Sardonix - That was my thinking from reading many of the reviews and discussions on here. I'd like a good variety in my cabinet.

Evan - Yep! Trinity was the one that really opened my eyes after coming from the Czech "experience". I have a fresh bottle just opened about 2 days back

:)

Viseguy - I do hope to share. Forgot to mention I also have a bottle of Kübler which is sort of 'eh...' to me. Like the Trinity and Leopold much, much better. Kübler seems to have a weird funk to it :/

Have a nice weekend, all!

After having sampled a few glasses of each now, I'm going to give a general opinion of these new-for-me absinthes. Once I've nearly finished each bottle, I'll do formal reviews.

Pacifique

Taste is very refined(?) and balanced - everything just really seems to blend very smoothly together - really impressive!

Walton Waters

Very sweet on it's own. Definitely take this without any sugar. Incidentally, this is probably the closest one to what I've experienced with Leopolds Verte. Very, very nice.

Question for the group: how does Meadow of Love compare to this?

Vieux Carre

Wholly different from anything else I've tried. Much more aggressive flavors and still quite familiar and enjoyable. Really nice to have this one around for a balance to my collection.

It'll probably be some while before I order another batch like this. A few months at the least. Thinking of grabbing some Obsello II as the rum base intrigues me - not sure what else yet but will probably make it another 3 or 4.

Thanks again for welcoming me to these forums and for answering my questions!

Meadow of Love struck me as more balanced in flavor. Both are good, it just depends on what mood I'm in. Assertive flavors or balanced? When compared to other absinthes though, I found them to be more similar than different.