Sign in to follow this  
King_Stannis

An article I wrote for our hometown free paper

Please understand, I was not feeling that KS was being sensationalistic at all! He did a great job presenting absinthe in a responsible and well-written way. I was merely sharing my general feelings about the connotations evoked by all the mythology, how the use of the adjective shadowy could play into that. I know it was not his intention in any way. KS, I've been misquoted in several newspapers. Once, NY Newsday featured me in the "Who's Cooking" column, for one of my vegetarian recipes. It was fun, and I got my then 8 year-old son involved as the sous chef, and in the photo. During the interview, I mentioned not originally becoming a vegetarian for moral reasons, but for health reasons... that my feelings and awareness about the animal issues grew later. The quote came out: "I'm not one of those moral vegetarians." All my vegan friends were so mad at me... "What does THAT mean?" was the heartbeat of many phone calls and e-mails. All I could tell them was "I never said that!" It was pretty funny actually, but it pissed me off at the time. The NY times also once wrote a story on my guitars, saying I was a guitar maker and a tailor. In fact, I was working with TAYLOR guitars! I got several calls from musicians asking to see my clothing designs. :fork:

Edited by Scott M.

Nice write-up! I've done a bit of published "evangelization" for absinthe as well through books and video courses (subversively) and via more public venues like speaking engagements and blog posts. I should post examples to the forum - assuming you would all be interested? Absinthe references in the wild! :arrr:

Amen.

I like a glass at the end of the day, to enjoy something tasty and relaxing after a long work day. Kinda like some mid 19th century fisherman coming back to Cete or Montpelier to a glass of absinthe, after a long day at sea.

I always heard absinthe would make you trip ballz... :tongue:

I wish this phrase and all variants of it would auto-correct to Tidy Bisexuals, or something else in the spirit of Luscious Oily Lesbians!

I liked "shadowy", for the reasons that Gwydion alludes to. Surely it's possible to dispel the myths about absinthe without deep-sixing the mystique.

Those seem to be mutually exclusive. The whole mystique kept me away when I was drinking Ricard (shudder), it was the literature from Ted and a review from Brian that allowed me to take the plunge when my dad offered to buy a bottle during the 2011 Mardi Gras. Sure, the antiques, and modern repros are super cool, and a plus to absinthe drinker, and obviously some of the artists that enjoyed absinthe were interesting folks, but the whole skulls and evil/dark connotations are just a huge turn off for me. The Dracula scene with (afaik) vintage absinthe being the only scene I didn't cringe at.

I need to stop posting AFTER drinking. :)

When absinthe was in its heyday, there was no mystique. It was a popular part of the culture, and enjoyed by many, for decades, without any hype or mystique applied to it. That came toward the end, undeservedly, and from the outside. My reasons are pretty good ones for feeling the way I do. Think about it:

If you enjoy good absinthe, you need to be able to buy it right? OK. GOOD absinthe can be hard to get...it requires good distillers. These guys run small operations, deal with little profit, lots of regs, and costly materials. In other words, they have to be a bit crazy to do what they do...it is not easy. In fact, these challenges are responsible for Duvallon ceasing commercial production...he was one of the best. So IMHO, doing what we can to introduce quality absinthe to people in a way that supports these distillers is vital. We should do whatever we can to avoid the stupid hype and cliches. I know that nobody around here means any harm with shadowy and mystique, and I made that clear to KS in a PM. He's a good guy. I stand my ground however, that it does no good to present absinthe this way. It in fact, is shooting ourselves in the foot. If more people here in the US drank it, more stuff from Europe would be imported. Customers=$$$. Distributors like money. Listen, it's only been back since 2007, it's still a young industry. Some have given up, feeling nothing will change, and that the fad is over. I still believe that we can bring about changes and growth. Yes, the initial upsurge when it was new was big...it has declined a bit, but I see this as a correction. The slow growth now will be genuine, but it is largely up to us, the people who enjoy it to make that happen.

Now the old guard...the guys making absinthe back in the days before 2007 have a totally different view of this, one that I can understand and accept. Their journey was exciting, new, and full of amazing mystery, exploration, experimenting, research, and fun. For obvious reasons, their perspective will be different than those of us who came into it later in the game.

Yes, we should help absinthes image. I got it! Lets have some shiny happy people skipping through a field of absinthe herbs holding hands and smiling while singing the theme song from The Partridge Family. "Come on get happy". :biggrin:

And we can have modern artist' paint absinthe themed works in the same way. To heck with the old ways. A new absinthe ideology for todays 'modern' absinthe drinker!

Not.

Edited by Songcatcher

Great...I try to make some points that are valid to the producers, and in support of their monumental efforts. I thought this was an absinthe forum, and that thoughts about the world of absinthe were important. Just sharing some perspective, and I get a dickish response. Bravo. I'm done with this thread. KS, as I said, you're a good guy. Keep up the good work!

Edited by Scott M.

I think the article was a good one. I also thought that the nitpicking about syntax was a little overboard. Hence the reason I didn't even comment until now. I was just amazed that, each morning, I click on the thread, and there is more desperate attempts to clarify your position, when it seemed perfectly obvious what your position was from the beginning.

In fact I thought Scott's point was good and worth making, but maybe it should have been the start of another thread.

There are several absinthe brands that use shadowy, "mystiquy" ways to promote. Some of them sell in large quantities.

Most of the absinthe brands that are represented by posters on the WW Soc tend to avoid that style of promotion, and tend to sell in smaller quantities.

Food for thought?

My point still stands. ;)

@Alan: I agree. But this thread seemed to be more of a critique of a perfect decent article, and not a discourse on mass market advertising. You're correct that it is a worthwhile discussion elsewhere though.

For what it's worth I got no problem with a discussion about it going on in here. Everyone has been very kind and Scott did make sure to say that even though he might not have used the term, he thought the article was good.