Fox's New Girl Shows Its Characters "tripping" on absinthe

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Harlequin

Harlequin

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

Ok, in order to start this thread, I have to admit I watch the Fox show New Girl. Even though Zooey plays the same tired quirky indie girl, I can't get enough of her.

The premise of this week's show was Zooey taking her wide eyed, kitten like self to a cabin with her boyfriend and two other friends. After shooting out the electricity with a rifle (balls to Fox for still showing people playing with rifles in the light of current events), our Jess finds a bottle of what she thinks is simple, innocent creme de menthe. But it's not. It is something much more sinister to the prime time watching legions.

It ends up being absinthe. Being Americans on a sit-com, they guzzle it down, passing the bottle around. The prop bottle itself was an odd blue green. I laughed, imaginging it might have been poor man's absinthe, laced with copper sulfate. It might as well been. Of course, they drink it all down and "trip balls" tm. They see things that aren't there. They laugh like they smoked the biggest joint ever. Zooey throws it up, but I assume that wee girl could only handle a timble full of wine before she got all crazy.

I had hope for the writers. The characters kept looking at the garbage at the end, where the almost empty bottle of absinthe was. Imagine throwing absinthe away. WTF? I thought they might discover what they were drinking was really creme de menthe and not absinthe. Hence, their tripping out was all in their heads. The big finish. I kept waiting for the end joke. It never came, just one of the guys in the show chugging more absinthe before they left the cabin. Absinthe is such a strong spirit, I assume that characters would probably be suffering from alcohol poisoning from drinking so much, which could happen if it was whiskey or whatever else and that poisoning would have made them trip out (or wind up at the hospital).

I know it is supposed to be funny. I know Zooey isn't going to pull out absinthe glasses, ice cold water, spoons and sugar cubes in order to do a proper ritual. (I for one use wine glasses and sugar syrup). But I am a bit tired of the media acting like you can drink a shot of absinthe (which is such blasphemy) and then hallucinate immediately.

I remember the show How I Met Your Mother had absinthe jokes, but the characters didn't guzzle it down. They were shown more "floating", which is a nice represention of the lucidity of absinthe. In New Girl, it did make the one guy lucid, him telling his girlfriend how he felt without censorship. Other than that, their protrayal of absinthe was so stereotyped. Even for a sit-com. It's been done.

Edited by Harlequin, 08 January 2013 - 11:41 PM.

#2 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

Unfortunately the bad/inaccurate publicity still seems to outweigh all the good stuff done by people here, by all the quality brands and by a lot of better bars and shops. Our work is never enough.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#3 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

I saw a bit in passing. Disgusting. But the usual crap from mainstream media. Alan, Ted Breaux, PV, Oxy, Gwydion, Brian, and others do a lot of work, but it still seems like the good guys are using eye droppers to put out an inferno of lies. Ted doing a morning show can't compete with a hit show deliberately spreading falsehoods in the search fir ratings.
I agree about Zoey, she is pretty hot. :)

#4 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,717 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

Agreed, as well, but what annoys me about her is how much she gives off that she knows it, which makes her a bit less hot, IMO.

She also fancies herself a singer. :hysterical2:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#5 Harlequin

Harlequin

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

I saw a bit in passing. Disgusting. But the usual crap from mainstream media. Alan, Ted Breaux, PV, Oxy, Gwydion, Brian, and others do a lot of work, but it still seems like the good guys are using eye droppers to put out an inferno of lies. Ted doing a morning show can't compete with a hit show deliberately spreading falsehoods in the search fir ratings.
I agree about Zoey, she is pretty hot. :)/>

She reminds me of a cute pet. A bit like Miller on PBS' Market Warriors. :)/>
I am glad she has dark hair now. Saw Elf over the Christmas holiday and she had blonde hair in it. If you have light skin, light eyes and keep your hair light, your face disappears in a sea of paleness. That is why I have my naturally blonde hair dyed brown, red or black most of the time. Contrast is key!

Edited by Harlequin, 09 January 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#6 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Educate those around you. It's grassroots and slower but if you (we) don't do something then stuff like this will just go on.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#7 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Harlequin,
Reminds me of a friend who is very light complected. I don't think she remembers her natural color. :laugh:

#8 Trinity Absinthe

Trinity Absinthe

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

Educate those around you. It's grassroots and slower but if you (we) don't do something then stuff like this will just go on.

Agreed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association