Sign in to follow this  
Viseguy

First glass

Well, I took the plunge and had my first glass tonight -- Pacifique. Woo-hoo! :yahoo:

First impressions:

• Woo-hoo! :yahoo:
  • Color was a lot yellower than I expected. Yellow with a touch of green -- I had expected it to be the other way around. (Maybe it was the light.)
  • I diluted to something like 3.5:1 or 4:1. Will dilute more next time (see below).
  • Loucheing was fun! :holiday:
  • The flavors were more subtle and restrained than I had expected. Definite aniseed, noticeable fennel seed, and noticeable something-minty-ish-with-an-edge that I assume is wormwood. If there were other herbs or spices there, I couldn't pick them out. The taste was very nice.
  • Mouthfeel was light and airy.
  • There was a long aftertaste of anise and fennel that lasted through most of Downton Abbey. For me, this was the best part of the experience (and not a bad way to watch a soap).
  • I also had a quite a bit of tongue numbness. Not unpleasant, but noticeable, and it lasted even longer than the aftertaste. Which is why I think I will go to 5:1 next time.
  • I did not add sugar. There was a faint bitterness to the taste, which I actually enjoyed. I will try it sweetened sometime. (I take my coffee unsweetened or sweetened, depending on the coffee and my mood. I imagine the same will apply to absinthe.)

Overall first impression: Woo-hoo! :yahoo:

Edited by Viseguy

Welcome to the madness. I have a positive pavlovian response to the color you describe. A completely golden color, makes me howl at the moon in glee. :)

Look at your wallet, and kiss it good bye!

:cheers:

I'm glad to hear it was a good experience for you. From your description of the color, it appears you were drinking from a more mature bottle. As a naturally-colored absinthe ages it will go from green, to yellow-green, then on towards a brownish color.

Thanks to all for the encouragement!

Welcome to the madness. I have a positive pavlovian response to the color you describe. A completely golden color, makes me howl at the moon in glee. :)

Look at your wallet, and kiss it good bye!

:cheers:

Wallet? What wallet? :hysterical2:

Very nice write up. Now you will judge all other absinthes by Pacifique.

Thanks! Yes, I set the bar high! (No pun intended? :drunk: )

An excellent start! You seem to have a feel for how things taste. If you like absinthe then maybe submit a review or two (or 49).

I may just do that, once I get more absinthe under my belt. (So to speak. :dev-cheers: )

Viseguy, if you ever find yourself in or near Seattle, drop me a line and come by the distillery for a visit.

Thanks, Marc. I don't often get north of the Bay Area when I'm on the Coast, but if I ever do I'll take you up on your offer! :cheers:

Tonight I went full 5:1, and it was a definite improvement. Opened up the flavors, toned down the exaggerated aftertaste, and almost totally banished the numb tongue. At 13.6% ABV, it was still above the benchmark 11-12%, so I may dilute a little more the next time. What fun! :thumbup:

Edited by Viseguy

An excellent start! You seem to have a feel for how things taste. If you like absinthe then maybe submit a review or two (or 49).

Start with one. You sound like you will get the "just add water" instructions we have on the front site. It's plenty of fun.

Tonight I went full 5:1, and it was a definite improvement. Opened up the flavors, toned down the exaggerated aftertaste, and almost totally banished the numb tongue. At 13.6% ABV, it was still above the benchmark 11-12%, so I may dilute a little more the next time.

Well, it sounds like you are getting a concept of things real fast except for the math. If you actually were at 5:1 with Pacifique, you were at 10.33% ABV. If you were at 13.60% ABV you would actually be at 3.55:1.

What fun! :thumbup:

Yep. It sure is... except for the nerdery.

Well, it sounds like you are getting a concept of things real fast except for the math. If you actually were at 5:1 with Pacifique, you were at 10.33% ABV. If you were at 13.60% ABV you would actually be at 3.55:1.

Oooh, right. I divided by 5 instead of 6. :fork:

Today I decided to figure out what's what with my Pontarlier glass. A little measuring showed that the absinthe well holds 30ml. Adding 100ml of water brings the level up to the top of the fluting, for a 3.3:1 dilution. Adding another 50 ml of water, another half-inch or so, brings it to 5:1. I reckon that 4:1 is somewhere in between. :)

post-4053-0-38495600-1357703136_thumb.jpg

For tonight's drink I stopped diluting at about 3.5:1, or a smidgen above the fluting. I added the chilled water veerrry slowly, and I think it brought forth the aroma more fully than before. At that strength the flavors were pleasantly intense, and, for some reason, my tongue didn't get numb this time. A very nice tipple indeed! :thumbup:

Thanks got the artwork. Funny, with out measuring, I usually end up where you have 4:1 for Pacifique, and a bit more for some others.

L'Ancienne and BC both can handle a good bit of water, and I prefer them that way.

Last night, I had Arak, with the traditional Arab 53%, and I just watered right past the flutes. It was awesome.

You might look into the Lucid seesaw dripper, AKA balancier. Once you get the hang of how much to fill it, it is a very easy way to get a very nice louche.

Btw, that is my favorite glass. As pretty as my 'fancy' glasses, machine washable, sturdy, and easy to use. My fancy glasses are too thin, so I use them as decorations only, like most of absinthe spoons.

Btw, that is my favorite glass.

Yes, it has nice heft and thickness, a real bar glass. The only minus is the visible mold lines on the sides, but miraculously these go away after a few sips. :twitchsmile:

In that particular glass I add absinthe up to about a half inch above the reservoir for a decent sized drink. 30mls. tends only to arouse my thirst without bedding her back down.

Edited by Songcatcher

I eyeball it depending on my mood. As I get the hang of things, I find less of a need to be picky. With a new booze, I will be careful to note different ratios, so I find where I like it best. But after a glass or two with a new one, I tend to just eyeball it. If I err, I prefer to err on the hot side. Like some wise person said, you can always add more water

In that glass, I go with a heavier dose, into the bottom of the glass, so I can get a full drink in the vicinity of my preferred dilution.

There are two common modern Pontarlier glasses available... The ones at DUNY for instance, and then at AbsintheDevil, they also sell a taller, more trad design... this taller glass only has a 15ml dose in its reservoir! I have friends who were using this glass without realizing how small its dose was, and they were seriously over-watering! The smaller, squatter glasses like the ones DUNY sells, and I believe Absinthe Devil sells them as well have a standard dose. The link below is to the smaller dosed glass. It will hold a lot of water, BUT you need to go well-up over the chamber with the absinthe, unless you only want to drink half a glass!

http://www.absinthedevil.com/Pontarlier-Absinthe-Glass_p_40.html

La Rochere only makes the one type, and the Torsade. It holds a shot in the reservoir. Unless La Rochere has been tampering with their design. :)

As much as I love these La Rochere glasses, methinks 'Pontarlier' is a bad name for them. I have three that are a lot closer to being 'Pontarlier' (one from CC and one from Oxy, to top the free shipping amount), but they are way too thin for me to use.

Edited by Père Ubu

I measured the chamber in one of these, and it was 15 ml, or half a shot. Perhaps they are having issues with thickness...have you measured one?

Edited by Scott M.

I measured the ones I got, and a shot fits nicely in the bubble. You did notice the interior of the glass does not match the exterior? Kinda obvious, but half a shot difference is quite a bit. The internal bubbles in mine hold a shot perfectly. They are machine made, so quality should be consitent, though I don't know much about glass making.

The folks above seem to agree that this glass requires more to reach 30 ml than simply filling the reservoir. It is not a flaw to have a smaller reservoir, as many of my antique glasses range from 15-25 ml. It's just something one needs to be aware of; just because there's a chamber, it does not mean it's a full measure.

the absinthe well holds 30ml. Adding 100ml of water brings the level up to the top of the fluting, for a 3.3:1 dilution. Which makes for a

very nice glass of Pacifique :thumbup:

Exactly my point FBP. Folks who simply fill the reservoir to the line, are not getting a full measure if they are looking for a shot as their dose. In a large glass like this, it is easy to overwater if you aren't being careful, or are not aware of it, especially when the upper part is so large. It gives the wrong impression. When I use these at a friend's house, I also go a bit higher into the glass, above the line when I pour the absinthe. The whole point of a reservoir glass is to fill only the chamber with the absinthe; this is why I feel the proportions on this particular glass are a bit off. It's no big deal... again, you just need to be aware that the upper part of the glass is not designed proportionally with the size of the chamber. You'll notice on the other stye Pontarlier glasses, that the reservoir is bigger, and the upper part is smaller; this is more in proportion with historical Pontarlier glasses.

Edited by Scott M.