Sign in to follow this  
Viseguy

First glass

The same is true of the bubble, and Pontarlier by Simon Pearce... the same type of odd proportions as this one. The east glass, if I recall, has a dose line at a very large level, and only the cordon glass is pretty spot-on one ounce. You just have to get to know your glasses.

Amen!

Just to be sure, we are all aware the reservoir bubble sticks past the bottom of the upper part of the glass, and makes a silver line where the top of the reservoir is, correct? Took me a couple of times to realize the interior and exterior on the thing do not match. Makes it tough to eyeball with a blanche or arak..

I measured the chamber in one of these, and it was 15 ml, or half a shot. Perhaps they are having issues with thickness...have you measured one?

I have a copy of that glass and a 30 ml dose (1 ounce) is right where Viseguy shows it (about 1/4" above the bottom of the fluting on the main body of the glass).

Depending on how you "read" the glass, you may perceive a reservoir of anywhere from 10 to 30 ml. Within that range, a slight difference in the fluid level makes a big difference in volume. Once you know your level, though, it's a piece of cake -- or, rather, a glass of absinthe. :cheers:

post-4053-0-34927600-1357789148_thumb.jpg

Where you marked 30ml, is the dose line. It is the top of the reservoir inside. Easy to spot with a Verte because the glass makes a silver line as the liquor gets near. Less easy with clear liquor.

You just have to get to know your glasses.

Yep. Any time I get a new glass I measure out an ounce and dump it in to get a good idea of where I should be watching when I free-pour later.

Viseguy, if you ever find yourself in or near Seattle, drop me a line and come by the distillery for a visit.

I've got to get back down as I haven't visited since the laws in Washington changed. Are you able to taste at your distillery yet?