Sign in to follow this  
Harlequin

San Diego, California

Is there anywhere to buy absinthe in San Diego that isn't Bevmo? I know this city is a craft beer mecca (pity I don't like beer) but I am sure there are a good amount of absinthe drinkers here too. I do run into people wanting to "trip balls" as it has been mentioned here and I have had my fair share of conversations trying to tell people you don't drink absinthe to get high.

I have ordered a few bottles from Astor Wines in desperation of finding no stores here, besides Bevmo, that carry absinthe. And then Bevmo carries only a few like Lucid (though that comes and goes), Kübler, Mata Hari, La Sorcière, etc. I have tried all of these but Lucid, since it seems to not be around when I have the cash. I bought bottles of Vieux Pontarlier (I had a recipe book where that was the absinthe used for most of the absinthe vert cocktails) and Vieux Carre. I would like to try La Clandestine Absinthe Superieur.

I drink absinthe using a mustard/ketchup type of bottle with the cone type cap to louche the absinthe with cold water. I find this directs the cold water and I can drip or spray it and have control over the louche. I also found out absinthe helps with a sore throat. I tend to add more water in that case, up to a 1:10 ratio of absinthe to water, I usually do a 1:5 or 1:6 ratio of absinthe to water.

Anyway, would love to hear from people in San Diego who drink absinthe. I would love someday to have an absinthe drinking party in my house. I need some good people who will sip the stuff and not guzzle it down. :) Of course, if you know some cool mom and pop booze establishment that carries absinthe, please post it here. Thanks!

I did a quick google for San Diego, found this place that has CRAPSINTH written all over it.

Does La Gran Tapa have authentic wormwood Absinthe containing Thujone? Again, we plead the 5th. We pour Kübler absinthe from Switzerland, Green Fairy (not the kind you but at the grocery store), and many other imported Absinthe brands from Europe where authentic wormwood Absinthe is legal. Did we say too much? Oops.

http://www.lagrantapa.com/purchase-absinthe-san-diego/

WTF :blowup:

Is there anywhere to buy absinthe in San Diego that isn't Bevmo?

Keg'n'bottle (on my PC this link works; on my iPad, rather bizarrely, it takes me to a NSFW site)

I would like to try La Clandestine Absinthe Superieur.

In some branches of Keg'n'Bottle and also .... in BevMo (Mission Valley and Point Loma locations in San Diego).

Hope that helps.

Absinthe is still a very misunderstood niche, as you seem to be well aware of. Finding a brick and mortar store that knows what they are doing is rare.

Luckily the online vendors are good people. Check out the approved vendors list on the main WS site, it's hard to go wrong with them.

Absinthe is still a very misunderstood niche, as you seem to be well aware of. Finding a brick and mortar store that knows what they are doing is rare.

Luckily the online vendors are good people. Check out the approved vendors list on the main WS site, it's hard to go wrong with them.

I had a good experience with Astor Wines in NYC. I got to talk to people on the phone too. I am from the Midwest originally, so I enjoyed the Midwest/East Coast attitude as well. Plus, free shipping on my first order.

I wish online places had a better selection. I read about some European brands I'll probably won't get my hands on because of international shipping.

Is there anywhere to buy absinthe in San Diego that isn't Bevmo?

Keg'n'bottle (on my PC this link works; on my iPad, rather bizarrely, it takes me to a NSFW site)

I would like to try La Clandestine Absinthe Superieur.

In some branches of Keg'n'Bottle and also .... in BevMo (Mission Valley and Point Loma locations in San Diego).

Hope that helps.

The link sent me to a Russian model site.

I've never heard of Keg'n'Bottle. I only recently started drinking. I could say San Diego has made me drink, but that is only half true. I used to be a real sober goth kid. My only youthful vice was the occasional clove cigarette.

I did a quick google for San Diego, found this place that has CRAPSINTH written all over it.

Does La Gran Tapa have authentic wormwood Absinthe containing Thujone? Again, we plead the 5th. We pour Kübler absinthe from Switzerland, Green Fairy (not the kind you but at the grocery store), and many other imported Absinthe brands from Europe where authentic wormwood Absinthe is legal. Did we say too much? Oops.

http://www.lagrantapa.com/purchase-absinthe-san-diego/

WTF :blowup:/>

I've never heard of that place. People here think absinthe will make them "trip balls" as this site as clearly stated. I don't smoke pot. Along with craft beers, it seems to be what most San Diegans do. The quote you posted from La Gran Tapa is a grammatical nightmare: "not the kind you but at the grocery store" What? At least they know their audience, I suppose. I prefer the slow "making love" idea that the French have about absinthe over the quickie, "let's get high" American view. I am not saying all Americans are like this. I am an American. I just don't like the rampant consumer attitude most Americans have. I should go to this La Gran Tapa place and see what's up. It's probably in the touristy area of downtown.

Edited by Harlequin

Re. Keg'n'Bottle. Maybe this direct link will help: http://www.kegnbottle.com/?page_id=66 They have four branches in San Diego: Clairemont, College Area, Del Cerro, and Sorrento Valley. I don't know if they all stock absinthe.

The link is still bringing up a Russian model link. Solo Russian models. I have no idea why so many San Diego establishments have problems with their websites or shockingly, don't have a website at all.

Edited by Harlequin

Just wanted to chime in about a few places. Not sure where in SD you live but in Escondido there is a place called holiday wine cellar that carries a decent selection. A little pricey though. Off the top of my head they carry: La CLadenstine, Brevans HR Giger, Leopold Bros, Mansinthe, Pernod, Kübler, Abyss, and a few others. It's the best place I've found around here.

The bevmo up in Oceanside [where I live] carries La Cladenstine, Mansinthe, Lucid, Pernod, St George, and a few others as well. Most Bevmo's seem to carry the same basic stock. Otherwise If you want to make a trip up to Costa Mesa there is a place called Hi Times Liquor that has a pretty big selection of ....everything. Off the top of my head again they have: pretty much everything Holiday Wine Cellar does [for cheaper] plus: vieux pontarlier, Duplais Verte, Jade N.O., as well as some decent budget absinthes (No1, Absinthe Orinaire, etc for $20 - $30 a bottle).

Also if you are down south there is a Bar called "The Tavern" in Coronado that serves Lucid correctly (Absinthe Glass, Absinthe Spoon, Sugar cube, Ice and water through a balancier). Lucid is the only Absinthe they carry though. I have found a few other bars with Lucid and Kübler but the bar tenders had no idea how to serve it and pretty much no bar has sugar cubes in stock so finding the Tavern was a nice treat. Anyway... those are the best places I know of personally that carry/serve absinthe in/around SD area.

Maybe I could hit those places up north if I happen to want to go to the Wild Animal Park. Make a day of it. The kicker is I would rather spend the money via the mail for absinthe verus putting the money in my tank for gas.

I live in the city. North Park/University Heights area. You would think downtown would have something, but I haven't found it yet. The Coronado bar sounds great. I like that area and its Hotel Del.

The Tower Bar has a fountain and does the ritual, but that is the only place in the city I know that has absinthe. I looked around but sort of have me, thinking, maybe wrongly, that San Diego is craft beer and that's it. I got a few choice bottles via NYC stores that have free shipping on first time orders. A bottle can last me a year since I don't drink often.

Thanks for the ideas...like I say, next time I want to see the Wild Animal Park, I'll go on an absinthe trek too!

Edited by Harlequin

Yeah, like I said, I live in Oceanside, so the only places I know of are mainly up here. Randomly stumbled upon the place in Coronado when I was working down there. If you do find anything of interest anywhere else in SD let me know!

Newport Farms in Ocean Beach at Newport and Cable has a bunch of absinthes. That place used to be a very ordinary beach liquor store, but the new owner stocks a huge selection of things. They have a bunch I don't recognize, as well Lucid, Kübler, Mansinthe, Abyss, Pernod absinthe, Mata Hari and a month or so ago I saw Vieux Carre, but it was not there today. I get the feeling that the owner is trying to stock a wide variety but does not know much about absinthe. Maybe I should introduce him to this site.

I went to the gran tapa in the gaslamp once. They insist on lighting the sugar cube and using warmish water to louche. I don't recommend.

There is a bar in the gas lamp district downtown San Diego called the Tipsy Crow, formerly the Bitter End in its 90's heyday.

Several months back I was there and found they had something on the menu called the Green Fairy. I ordered two, one for myself, one for a co-worker.

They had a beautiful absinthe fountain on the bar already loaded with ice water. The bartender poured from a bottle of Lucid. She had the spoons. She had the sugar. She did not ignite anything.

Only problem. She stopped dripping water as soon as the sugar was gone. One drink was mostly louched but still not at a proper ratio, the other barely louched at all. With two glasses of ice water I was able to salvage the drinks. The bartender had not been properly trained.

Still, I was surprised they had the fountain and a proper absinthe. My co-worker didn't like it, so I got to drink both. That was my first time drinking Lucid.