Anyone with experience with bitters?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Harlequin

Harlequin

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

I have been experimenting with Regan's, Angostura and Peychaud's Bitters, but would like to branch out into trying chocolate, spicy/fire, grapefruit or celery bitters. Anyone tried those? If you have, what brand do you recommend?

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,811 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

If they make 'em, I probably have 'em. :)

Bitterman's and Scrappy's have very good versions of all of those you mentioned, except Scrappy's doesn't have the spicy one though.

For spicy, Bitterman's, Bad Dog, and Brooklyn Hemispeherical all have very good options.

Check out The Meadow, or Cocktail Kingdom for a lot of good options to pick from.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

All I got is two types of orange bitters, and they are worlds apart. The better one saved my brother's DITA from the sink. I think it actually calls for Angostura.

#4 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

The Bitter Truth, aka Berg & Hauck, also has some very nice bitters. I use their XOLOTL (chocolate) often.
If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

Beware La Machine à décerveler! Oops, too late ...

#5 Harlequin

Harlequin

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

If they make 'em, I probably have 'em. :)/>

Bitterman's and Scrappy's have very good versions of all of those you mentioned, except Scrappy's doesn't have the spicy one though.

For spicy, Bitterman's, Bad Dog, and Brooklyn Hemispeherical all have very good options.

Check out The Meadow, or Cocktail Kingdom for a lot of good options to pick from.

Scrappy's has a gift set with small bottles of their chocolate, grapefruit, lime and celery, I think. The last one might not be celery. But it's a good deal for a sampler. Oh, the last one in gift box #2 is cardamom not celery, but I do like cardamom.

Edited by Harlequin, 07 January 2013 - 11:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association