Harlequin

Greetings from Southern California!

Hi. I am from San Diego and I saw the review part of this forum and had to sign up. San Diego is a craft beer mecca, but the problem is...I don't like craft beer! :) I feel out of place because I tend to like steampunk over surfing, films over flip-flops and bartending old timey cocktails over going to the beach.

I am sure in this city over one million, there are others like me. People who can guide me to the establishments in my fair city that can provide me with good quality absinthe (and bitters, on the lookout for those too). I am pretty tired of going to Bevmo as my one absinthe experience in town and I have resorted to ordering online.

I have about 100 different hobbies. I do freelance writing for a living with the occasional venture into video production and broadcasting. I stay out of the sun whenever possible and think the "freezing" weather we are having right now is rather nice. How can 50 degree weather not be nice?

Welcome! You've come to the right place.

San Diego is a craft beer mecca, but the problem is...I don't like craft beer!

I feel your pain. Over a dozen craft breweries here and not a single distillery. Luckily the town next door has a few.

Welcome! You've come to the right place.

San Diego is a craft beer mecca, but the problem is...I don't like craft beer!

I feel your pain. Over a dozen craft breweries here and not a single distillery. Luckily the town next door has a few.

I do a few beers. I like Alesmith's Decadence, at least the one year I tried. But I liked it because it was aged. I also like some cherry sours. That's about it.

I fantasied about having an absinthe bar in town. Maybe old timey cocktails too, but no beer. Closed toe shoes and classy dress code.

Welcome :cheers:/>

You sound like a good candidate for the absinthe gathering later this year.

Curious! Let me know more about that!

You can ask the G man himself, onacuz it's his shindig. Or scrounge around for the 2013 Great American Absinthe Festival, or 2013 GAAF, going on in the PNW later this year. I heard last year's edition was quite the success.

There is another going on in the Catskills this spring, at my favorite store. Then there are the euro parties in the fall. Our louched luthier seems to enjoy those.

Welcome! :cheers:

As for San Diego establishments serving absinthe, I haven't visited either of them yet, but I hear good things about Craft & Commerce and Noble Experiment. 'Course, just because they're serving absinthe in cocktails doesn't mean they know much about absinthe. I've been amazed by the number of craft/speakeasy-type cocktail bars I've visited that have researched every last little detail of the drinks they make and have sourced the best ingredients--with the exception of the brand of absinthe they use, which more often than not tends to be Nu Pernod.

I fantasied about having an absinthe bar in town. Maybe old timey cocktails too, but no beer. Closed toe shoes and classy dress code.

You, me and my business partner. Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to move in order to actually make that happen around here. Fort Collins has some strange booze laws and some notorious people on the liquor control board.

The Great American Absinthe Festival. Here's a link to last years thread. There will be another thread posted for this year when stuff is finalized.

Welcome! :cheers:/>

As for San Diego establishments serving absinthe, I haven't visited either of them yet, but I hear good things about Craft & Commerce and Noble Experiment. 'Course, just because they're serving absinthe in cocktails doesn't mean they know much about absinthe. I've been amazed by the number of craft/speakeasy-type cocktail bars I've visited that have researched every last little detail of the drinks they make and have sourced the best ingredients--with the exception of the brand of absinthe they use, which more often than not tends to be Nu Pernod.

I've heard of The Noble Experiment. I have had absinthe at The Tower Bar too. It was served fountain style. Let me remember what brand it was. I remember thinking for the $10 a glass plus tip, I was better off buying my own! I think the absinthe was St. George.

Edited by Harlequin

You, me and my business partner. Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to move in order to actually make that happen around here. Fort Collins has some strange booze laws and some notorious people on the liquor control board.

The only problems with San Diego is that you will get people who think you can get high off of it and people who will try to blow into the place wearing flip-flops and God knows what else. There are times when I dress casual and think I don't look so great, then I see the SoCal masses who think wearing dirty pajama bottoms with flip-flops and huge sunglasses is big fashion. I've never been to CO. I assume Ft. Collins is not Denver. I would think one could have an absinthe bar in Denver. Oh, wait, there is one:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/a-cote-bar-a-absinthe-denver

The Great American Absinthe Festival. Here's a link to last years thread. There will be another thread posted for this year when stuff is finalized.

A good reason to go to Montana if I had money to go.

Edited by Harlequin

Methinks the next one is in Washington state, like across the straight/bay/thing-of-water from Seattle. There was a thread somewhere, but I couldnt find it.

But likewise, I'm too broke. I wish I could make the one in the Catskills, where tasty absinthe is made (Delaware Phoenix), and sold (Catskill Cellars, the store I blab endlessly about).

In my lottry winning day dreams, I want to go skiing in Montana, and visit the Ridge (I call it Lothlorien).

With my debt paying project, and young kids, I'm lucky to be able to run into idWizard and greeneyedimp, when Eric is in town for a blues show.

Edited by Père Ubu

I haven't been to that place in Denver but we are avoiding major cities for several reasons, especially with some of the new legalizations in Colorado. People here will know when we pull the trigger. Currently two towns that start with L are clamoring for anything "of culture" to start up so we are going to see who can make us a better/easier deal.

I drive to Montana (and should more often), but next year's event might be Pacific Northwest somewhere.

How can 50 degree weather not be nice?

Totally agree with you, which is why I love SF and detest NYC (where I live) in the summertime. I do like the change of seasons, though; dunno how much of that you get in San Diego. Anyway, welcome. I'm a new arrival myself. I'm liking the weather here, and hope you will too.

It was 55 here today as the high. People here bundle up in ear muffs, gloves, thick jackets and wool. I can't buy wool because it is too warm here most of the time to wear it. It's nice to wear a coat at this temp, but I don't need it. It's only for looks, since I used to live in the North and acquired some lovely velvet frock coats.

But people act like it is -20 outside. It is good for me because I am introverted and no one is out but me. Add heavy winds to it and I see people running from their car to their house like a major thunderstorm was happening.

I don't get it. But I find people want me to agree with them about how "freezing" and "horrible" it is outside. I would like to take every native born San Diegan, as a gift to them, to Canada for one winter. This will show them how great they have it. I can't even feign that it is cold...then they think I am the one that is weird and that I don't get their pain. What pain? Is putting on socks and closed toe shoes a major tragedy? They are so upset about it. It seems so childish. Or people that want me to hold their hands and pity them because it sprinkled outside and their car hydroplaned for a brief second and how traumatizing it was. One person I knew didn't come to work because she hydroplaned. WTF? She wasn't in an accident, she just was so upset that she hydroplaned. I often wonder how these people live day to day if they are that fragile.

I am not a fan of overly hot weather. I have friends who live in Arizona when it is 115 degrees during the summer. I don't like it, but I put on sunscreen, carry an umbrella and swim often in their pool. What I don't do is go on and on like a drama queen about how it is so "terrible" or "an inferno" outside. I guess it is what people here do because they don't have bad weather and even little changes cause them to be mad that every day can't be 70 and sunny. I feel the same weather every day would be boring. But seriously, to people here, and I am not saying everyone but a good deal of them, 70 is perfect, but 65 is "freezing" but 80 is too hot.

Where as I have a weather tolerance of about the low minuses to about 90 degrees. I feel the only drawback to hot days is that I am pale and burn super easy so I can't do as much. This is why I love winter. I can get out more and wear enough clothes I don't have to put much sunscreen on. I got a severe burn in March, yes March, because a girl friend of mine from my home state stayed in San Diego and silly me, I thought a 55 degree day wouldn't burn my skin so I wore a short sleeve shirt and no sunscreen. Whoops!

To answer you question about the "seasons", it is weird here. The city has two autumns. One at the typical time and the second one in March. The maples and other trees here shed their leaves and because the weather is moderate, they re-bud immediately. There is a warm to hot dry season and a rainy cooler season, so it is like having a summer for half the year and a spring/fall half the year. It helps the sun sets at 5pm here right now. I love those short days because I am a night owl! So, two seasons, no winter in the city, though our weather people say "winter". I don't believe it! I find winter now more a chunk of the calendar, like Winter Solstice or Spring Equinox...more than a true seasonal change. It is hard to celebrate Christmas if it is 80 out...it feels odd to me and I can't wear a velvet or thick dress with calf boots like I want.

But in saying that, one can drive for two hours and reach the mountains. I have friends who have a cabin in Julian and they get snow. It isn't Midwestern snow, only a few inches. But it is nice to see. It is amazing how one could be on the beach in the morning here and surf, then drive and see mountain snow in the afternoon then end up in desert at night...all within a three to four hour drive. The number of environments here is incredible. So, someone here who wants to experience the "seasons" they did back home can. I do understand the Southwest isn't the North, but I came to the city for work, not because I love the beach.

The natives always complain how people from other areas move here, but I find it funny because most of these "natives" have parents that weren't born here and really, if you aren't a Native American, being superior because you happened to have been born somewhere without using your free will isn't something to be overly proud about. Neither is being in a school system that is so bad, companies have to look for people from other areas that have college degrees. I was amazed by the number of people here that don't have a high school degree much less a college one. It's a bit sad. This place does have a culture of its own, but it is very hard for me to understand why wearing shorts, flip-flops, getting high all the time and the beach are the end all, be all of their existence. Again, it isn't everyone. I have met smart natives, but the majority of people strike me as oddly unaware of anything outside of San Diego unless it is reality TV.

Edited by Harlequin

But I find people want me to agree with them about how "freezing" and "horrible" it is outside.

People everywhere love to complain about the weather, of course. It's a proxy for the existentially painful thing called life, but usually less upsetting. But kicking up a fuss about 65 or 80 degrees is pushing it a bit far. Based on your remarks, I don't think you'll be writing travel brochures for SD anytime soon. :laugh: But you make a strong case for getting around a bit and experiencing the various ecosystems. That's one of the things I love about Tucson and environs. You can go from saguaro forest to pine forest in the space of an hour. You can't, however, go surfing, so I guess that's a point in SD's favor. Cheers! :cheers:

Guess what? It was colder than Detroit than San Diego today. Detroit was 58 as the high and San Diego 54. I am originally from Michigan, where people think it is *so* cold, but Detroit was about 4-5 degrees warmer and probably didn't have as much wind!

I find it amusing! My friends here don't, but I do!

Of course, I wish I could get friends of mine to go out to do photo shoots. They only seem to want to do those in August, when it's 95 degrees outside and make me wear steampunk items like thick leather corsets and mulit-layers, then make me hike down a canyon in four inch heel boots. Now, when it is only 50-54 degrees out, no one is to be found. I could be outside all day and not burn!!! Where are these people? I must make some calls.

There are a lot of good things about San Diego. It has a lot of culture and a thriving avant garde music scene. Most of the stuff I like is weird, gothic or steampunk...San Diego has one of the oldest and biggest steampunk scenes in the country and I think the first steampunk music night.

So, it is full of things I love...it's the stereotypes I don't love...like overly tan blondes, the beach...San Diego is much more than that. I live in a neighborhood with the largest outdoor music festival in California and other abnormal things occurring within a walk from my house. There is a theater too within a walk where I met Bruce Campbell. I couldn't have never done that in the small town I was born in.

I know some people from NYC that moved here and say there is nothing to do here...maybe if you are from NYC, but if you are from a farming town that had no culture and suddenly you have a choice at night of going to a goth club, a steampunk event or a free jazz show...it's an amazing place. I could write a pamphlet about that!!! I do like the beach at La Jolla and by the Hotel Del, my tastes are more Victorian and isolated vs. busy crowds. I do have a love/hate relationship with the city, but hey, that's how I roll.

Comic Con too, how could I forget that? I'd never been to a con before that, why not start big?

And San Diego is close to LA...which has anything that San Diego doesn't and probably a lot mor absinthe.

Edited by Harlequin

I overheard a cell phone conversation yesterday where somebody was saying it got down to something like 39 in San Diego (at night, I guess). This was in Lower Manhattan, so the news gets around. Glad to hear there's good stuff there, too.

Welcome to the forum, I have to admit it has been some time since I visited as I have been very busy and also belong to 3 other forums. The topic has moved to weather and as I type this it is 21 F where I live in Washington State.