Sign in to follow this  
Viseguy

Green greetings!

Green greetings, everyone, and Happy New Year! (That's green as in newbie, and green as in -- well, you know...)

My one and only New Year's resolution is to try absinthe. (Keep it simple, I say.) One of my final acts of the old year was to buy a couple of La Rochere Pontarlier glasses and an Oenophilia absinthe spoon on Amazon -- so, you see, I'm serious. :) One of my penultimate acts was to go through all 21 pages of the thread on Your Top Ten Commercial Absinthes. I wrote a little script to count the number of times each absinthe was mentioned and ranked them in that order; in case you're interested, the list, with caveats and qualifications, is posted here: http://badgerandblad...793#post4735793. I've also just taken Evan Camomile's very informative Crash Course.

As you can tell from the link, I came here from the traditional shaving community at Badger & Blade, and that is one of my interests, along with fountain pens and inks, and the classic word-processor XyWrite. I live and work in NYC.

That's about it for now. Glad to be here, and looking forward to my first sip of the magical green liquid. :cheerz:

Thanks for the welcomes!

Another caveat re my list is that it's a dumb count that doesn't distinguish between positive, neutral, and negative mentions. Really it was a just a way for me to start to become familiar with the leading names, nothing more. Now I need to work my through the reviews here in order to decide what my first buys will be. All in good time.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm suggestible and open to shout-outs, fersure.

PS: Just bought a bottle of Pacifique from DrinkUpNY! Why not? From the description it sounds like a great starting place. Plan to pick it up Sunday. My glasses should be here next week. Hooray! (Told ya I'm susceptible! :laugh: )

Edited by Viseguy

Welcome!

I live and work in NYC.

Then you have easy access to a bar with the best selection of quality absinthes in the USA: Maison Premiere in Brooklyn. A low risk way to try a lot of different absinthes. Just make sure they let you decide whether or not to use a sugar cube, and how much chilled water to add.

I've also just taken Evan Camomile's very informative Crash Course.

That one's painful...or maybe I've just taken a different crash course. :fork:

Hello and welcome! :cheers:

Then you have easy access to a bar with the best selection of quality absinthes in the USA: Maison Premiere in Brooklyn. A low risk way to try a lot of different absinthes. Just make sure they let you decide whether or not to use a sugar cube, and how much chilled water to add.

Looks great! I lover oysters, too!

That sounds like the advanced course....

Welcome! I'm glad my crash course is helping people.

I've also just taken Evan Camomile's very informative Crash Course.

:blush:

Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm suggestible and open to shout-outs, fersure.

PS: Just bought a bottle of Pacifique from DrinkUpNY! Why not? From the description it sounds like a great starting place. Plan to pick it up Sunday. My glasses should be here next week. Hooray! (Told ya I'm susceptible! :laugh: )

I think you'll enjoy it, cheers! :dev-cheers:

... Maison Premiere in Brooklyn. A low risk way to try a lot of different absinthes. Just make sure they let you decide whether or not to use a sugar cube, and how much chilled water to add.

Won't they serve a beaker of chilled water on the side if requested, or does some cockamamie law forbid it?

Welcome here. It sounds like you have just the right amount of persnickety tediousness that will suit you well in your tastings. Interesting crossover from a website for shaving enthusiasts! I happen to like old school shaving kit. I also happen to dislike shaving. Meh. And I had my heart set on a limited edition Mont Blanc that I missed out on :(

Anywho, enjoy your stay here.

Persnickety Tediousness is my middle name! Thanks again for the welcomes.

And I had my heart set on a limited edition Mont Blanc that I missed out on :(

David Isaacson, of Vacumania fame, recently said he's about to put this gorgeous, newly-restored Hemingway on the market, asking something like $2,600. This may be your second chance!

MB_hemingway850a.jpg

Welcome! :cheers:

Sounds like you've done your due diligence! Pacifique is a great one to start with.