Sign in to follow this  
AThingOneTime

A Wild Newbie Approaches!

As a recently graduated Creative Writing major, I've always had an interest in absinthe, both as a drink and as an idea.

Unfortunately, having been raised by parents who were massively against substance use of any kind, my first introduction to absinthe was through the film Eurotrip at the age of 14, which was... less than an accurate representation.

More recently, I've begun to understand more about the real cultural background of absinthe, as opposed to the silly modern concept that most people seem to see in it. A few months ago, my fiancee watched a documentary on Netflix about the rebirth of absinthe particularly in the US, and became mildly obsessed. Her 21st birthday is this February, and I've decided that my gift to her will be as authentic an absinthe experience as possible. I've done a bit of research, which at first glance made it seem like the highest thujone content was what I was looking for, but the more I learned, the more I realized that absinthe isn't just a chemical that you ingest, or a substance to be abused, but rather an experience to be enjoyed and savored. I'll be buying cups and spoons (less expensive ones to start, naturally), and set aside a full evening.

From what I've gathered from this site and others, I've settled on either Berthe de Joux (the highest scoring I found in the reviews), or Jade PF 1901 (as I've seen it mentioned about a dozen times in various favorite brand threads). Roquette 1797 also looked interesting, though it did not review as well.

Apologies for the rambling and what I'm sure is a novice's interpretation of good absinthe.

Welcome to the Forum! :cheers:

It seems you learned in time: thujone has nothing to do with absinthe.

You are considering some great choices for your girl.

My vote would be for Pacifique or Ridge Verte with the blue top. Or either of the Delaware Phoenix absinthes. Haven't tried Obsello or the new Marteau, so I can't opine with sincerity with those.

Granted, your choices are not too shabby, as well.

First of all, Welcome to the WS! :cheers:

From what I've gathered from this site and others, I've settled on either Berthe de Joux (the highest scoring I found in the reviews), or Jade PF 1901 (as I've seen it mentioned about a dozen times in various favorite brand threads). Roquette 1797 also looked interesting, though it did not review as well.

Apologies for the rambling and what I'm sure is a novice's interpretation of good absinthe.

But it's at least an informed "interpretation". You're off to a good start. As the character who conducted the Absinthe Tasting And Evaluation Workshop at the 2012 Great American Absinthe Festival, and knowing that you were not there, I just want to offer one cautionary note and bit of advice I left all the attendees with; And that is to not get too hung up on scores, especially when they are within a reasonable range of each other. I think it's fair to say most here would probably prefer to drink absinthes in the, let's say, mid 4s than ones in the low 3s. However, when it comes to choices made from absinthes scoring from (for the sake of illustration, only) 4.2 to 4.6 (which is where the top 25 absinthes in the review section are by the default sort), with anyone experienced, their choice is likely to be driven as much (or maybe more) by preference, than some other's (or maybe even their own) critical review.

If this is a first time experience, I'd be looking for a classic, balanced example. It sounds like it will be a great Birthday celebration.

My vote would be for Pacifique or Ridge Verte with the blue top. Or either of the Delaware Phoenix absinthes. Haven't tried Obsello or the new Marteau, so I can't opine with sincerity with those.

What he said, verbatim.

And welcome! :cheers:

I'm new here too, welcome. My first bottle was Jade PF 1901, based on this site's high applause. I'm down half a bottle already and am leaning toward Ridge Verte and Marteau for my next purchase. Have fun!

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys :D

Shortly after posting, I found out I'm within easy driving distance of a distillery (http://www.immortalspirits.com/), got quite excited that I might be able to get my hands on local absinthe, then immediately decided against it after reading Knarr's reviews on here.

Edit for reference: http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=619:knarr&catid=20:traditional-absinthe&Itemid=275

Oregon, while beautiful and generally wonderful people, seems to have that effect on me a lot: "Wow, how awesome is it that [obscure product] is made almost in my own backyard! Oh wait, they're just capitalizing on those that don't know any better, and the product isn't even remotely authentic. Fantastisch."

Edited by AThingOneTime

If memory serves, the first release of Marteau Absinthe de la Belle Epoque was made in Oregon. The same state also produces some wonderful wines. It's all an individual thing. Some producers capitalize on those who actually know better.

Welcome! :cheers: Good choices, some of my favorites are listed. There are so many choices available to you now, and you have found a great place to search and find your own preferences.

My first purchase of absinthe included Berthe de Joux and Jade PF 1901. I can say that they both are exceptional, I enjoyed both very much. I am however speaking from limited experience.

Ridge Verte and Marteau are made by Masters, how can u go wrong?

I think perhaps there are some folks missing from that list of Masters! And that's coming from someone who holds those two brands near and dear.