Sign in to follow this  
TheLoucheyMonster!

Brimstone Absinthe, KGB Spirits, New Mexico

Here is another 'local' absinthe. This one from New Mexico.

Distillery's website:

http://kgbspirits.com/products.html

product page:

http://kgbspirits.com/files/products/brimstoneabsinthe.pdf

Potato base spirit, natural color and "Holy Trinity". (on the plus side)

Note: The label reads "liqueur" so expect it has added sugar. ABV only 45% (on the minus side)

"To think about Absinthe is to imagine one's self in 1920's Paris, heading to the bar at 5 p.m., l'heure verte, to meet Hemingway, Fitzgerald and Dali for an afternoon aperitif.

Well, at least they did their research.

For the record, I have no problem with folks making creme d'absinthe—low proof, sweetened, absinthe liqueur—as long as it's labeled that way so as to distinguish it from proper absinthe.

I have a bottle from their first batch. It comes in two sizes, 375ml and 750ml. The 750ml bottle is for sale here at one store for $49.99.

I haven't had time to do a formal review or anything, but it's rater light on the anise and bitter in ways that I don't particularly care for. I haven't really sat down with a full glass yet, just a light sampling. I've seen some bottles that were up to batch two or three, but I won't get around to trying those anytime soon.

When I first bought the bottle I sent the distillery a friendly email with a link to WS and an offer to talk absinthe anytime. I never recieved a reply.

I trust that research comment is facetious. I don't think anyone was heading to a 1920's Paris bar for an absinthe, at least not legally.

They seem to be operating in a vacuum where facts are concerned. Listen to their President make the claim (at about 5:45) in this video (aired in Sep 2012, and linked from their site) that they produce "one of three domestic absinthes available in the United States". So which one of you guys isn't producing actual absinthe?

"To think about Absinthe is to imagine one's self in 1920's Paris, heading to the bar at 5 p.m., l'heure verte, to meet Hemingway, Fitzgerald and Dali for an afternoon aperitif.

Possible, but not legal. I came across one news paper articles someplace about a bar that was busted, and fined, for selling absinthe in post-ban France.

. And as for the comment about 'one of 3 domestic absinthes' , :poop:

Hmmm...

We've been making absinthe with ZERO added sugar (as absinthe should be made) since 2008.

I'm pretty comfortable with our work.

Makes me wonder about that stuff Gwydion, Todd, Rob, Cheryl, John, Joe, Bryan (and others) are making. ;)

Their copy is crap but once again I'll save final judgement for a review if I get around to it.

There are plenty of properly made absinthes from the U.S. that I haven't gotten around to reviewing yet. Jumping on one with a lack of research in their copy, low proof, and added sugar isn't high on my list.

Bringing up an old thread but, saw a bottle of this on a shelf today. Knew right away it was not anything I wanted to try by the bright green color in the clear bottle. No list of ingredients on the lable anywhere.The only other option on the shelf was a bottle of Copper and Kings Blanche, which I passed on as well, but at least it looked like a real blanche.