solarjinx

A hearty HELLO from Salem, Oregon!

Hello all! My name is Mick and I'm brand new to this site and to the world of absinthe. My very first taste was a few weeks ago when I purchased a bottle of Wild Card Absinthe (http://www.wildcardabsinthe.com/) from my local liquor store. It tastes pretty good, I'm enjoying it. I'm using my Brita water filtration unit as my cold water dripper (it has a plastic handle that allows for dripping action if pushed slightly). I've got an absinthe spoon and the sugar cubes, I'm having fun practicing with the water ratio and watching the louche. It's all very cool, I'm excited about absinthe. Matter-of-fact, I already placed an overseas purchase. I browsed through the wormwood society members' Top 10 lists and basically watched for a bottle that appeared on most of those lists: Jade PF 1901. I then went shopping online and was lead to the Alandia website (in Koln, Germany). They had it for sale (as well as many of the other bottles I noticed on your lists), so I assumed they were a pretty good company to buy from, however, I noticed in someone else's intro thread Alandia got shitted on pretty bad. I believe the exact phrase was, "FUCK Alandia". Well hell, did I mess up by ordering from them?

Either way, I'm still excited and I'm glad to be part of the wormwood society. You guys and gals are already helping me learn so much, thank you!

Welcome to the forum! I've used Alandia (in the past) and never had an issue. The PF1901 is one of my favorites. You're in for a real treat! It's nice to see another Oregonian here.

Welcome! You didn't make a mistake by ordering some Jade 1901 from them, it's a good absinthe.

I choose not to support them (and also say "Fuck Alandia") as they mix their shady fake absinthe in with the real stuff and that deceives consumers. Often the copy on the fake stuff makes the swill seem better than the real absinthe they carry.

I'm glad our reviews and info were helpful in navigating towards a good absinthe from that site. It's what we are here for.

Thanks everyone. In response to Evan C: is the bottle of 1901 authentic or fake shit? Man, it better be the real deal since my total cost with shipping was a hard buck forty. I guess I'm asking hypothetically since you didn't place the order, but I will send it straight back across the ocean if so. Anyway, I've already scoped out DUNY and CC, much easier on my wallet when it comes to shipping. Hey Derrick, I second that 100% Oregon comment! It rocks here, even with the rain.

Your Jade 1901 will be a Jade, don't worry about that.

What we are saying when say Alandia sells and promotes 'fake shit' , what we are talking about are products like Hill's or Strong 68.

Those products are not absinthe. See the WS review page for 'faux' absinthe to see what what those are about.

Like I said, Jade 1901 is a good absinthe. There will be no need to send it back.

As for what's fake, Louchey covered that.

This is the problem with Alandia. You can get real stuff like Jade 1901 along with fake crud like King of Spirits. While browsing as I type, I found the real absinthe St. Antione listed between fakes Gothica and Hamlet. Not exactly a fair shake to consumers wanting real stuff nor the producers of real stuff.

DUNY and CC are good retailers. I'd buy absinthe from them any day.

Fantastic, I appreciate that feedback. Yeah, I did notice those other brands in the line-up (Strong 68, King, etc) and gave them wide berth since they were not received well by this community. Speaking of which, it took me all of 30 minutes of browsing to realize this place (WS) would be my go-to spot for learning. Your credentials are in the words you leave behind, plenty of solid forum threads to read through. I like that. Carry on!

You've got some neighbors to the north that make some pretty good stuff. Me thinks Pacifique is available locally for you, maybe you've read about it on the threads.

Jade 1901 is great stuff, just be sure to read the threads about opening jade bottles. :)

The PF 1901 was my first Jade and remains as my favorite (Jade) to this day. As I recall, my first absinthe purchase was from Alandia and I had no problem with the service, just the absinthe. That was my fault as I hadn't discovered the WS yet. Welcome! :cheers: