Brooks

Maison Premiere — recommendations?

Hidy, kiddos. How's every li'l body doin'? Happy Hols to one and all. :wave2:

Nothing thrilling to report, other than that I singlehandedly consumed a two-pound monastery fruitcake this week. No need to respond. I know, without asking, that you envy my life in the fast lane.

Am here to pick your brains. Canadian friends are visiting at the end of month, and I may whisk them out to Maison Premiere for absinthe and dollar ersters. It'll be my first time back to M.P. since Joe and Jules were in town. (Are yez ever coming back, please, please???)

Maison Premiere absinthe menu (hit link, then click menu to embiggen)

The absinthes highlighted in yellow are ones I've never tried. Am content to stick with the excellent absinthes I know, but does anyone have a favorite among those highlighted? No review necessary, just wondering if anything leaps off the page. Thanks for your input.

As 2012 winds down, I hope this finds you all happy and in good health!

, but does anyone have a favorite among those highlighted? No review necessary, just wondering if anything leaps off the page.

Leopold tops the list in yellow,

next would be VP. I would call those the 'must try' of the list.

Also some find Tennyson interesting as it has juniper/ gin notes.

The ones I would just skip are Pernod and Obstinee due to bad reviews. Germain Robins is an odd-ball.

All the rest in yellow are 'just OK- drinkables' in my book.

BROOKS!

The last time we talked, I thought you were going to relocate to Missoula. I hope to be back in NY soon. Not only to visit you and Dave but our youngest (The Punk) is living a very few hours away in Binghamton. We may be there as early as March or May. :wave2:

Gwydion! How's tricks on the Left Coast? Let's try to cross paths ere Zimmerframia kicks in! Walker.png

Joe! When did The Punk relocate to Binghamton? Is he happy? Busy? Bet he misses that beautiful Montana scenery. Say hey to Jules for me, and I look forward to seeing you two in the spring!

Louchey, I've made note of all your recommendations, and thanks very much for your help. Doubt we'll stray from the "A" List, but just in case, it's good to know what is and what ain't worth the whistle.

Brian! How ya doin', and how's the family? Feels like forever since I last saw you guys. Beckett must be in grad school by now.

Yup, the latest batch of Leopold's I have has quite a bit of perfume. It's pretty good! BTW, they WILL let you you prep at the table if you ask... it won't be overwatered that way.

I met Stefano and his lovely wife there a few months ago, and they really overwatered the absinthe. Perhaps it was just a new barkeep. They do have a couple see-saw droppers and carafes. Max and Ben are the guys to meet there. Really great guys, and they care a lot about doing the right thing. Also, I hear they expanded their menu!

Edited by Scott M.

Never tried Leopolds, but by everything I've read here, it should be on the A list.

Absolutely.

Hey, Brooks, stop bein' such a stranger, will ya?! :wave2: :cheers:

Thanks, Scott. The gang at Maison Premiere is great. And not just the managers.....everyone I've ever dealt with there has been friendly and helpful. Did you know there are (or were) three Maxes working there at the same time?

I've only ever forgotton to ask for water on the side once, and it was when Joe and Jules were in town! (The absinthes was, as you say, overwatered.) By the second round we were doing it ourselves.

I'll definitely ask for a see-saw dripper. My Canadian friends will be mesmerized.

Père Ubu, thanks for chiming in on the Leopold. Of the ones I haven't tried, it sounds like pick of the litter.

Relatives in the Hamtons? Pretty hoity-toity. :twitchsmile:

Ha! :biggrin:

Brooks, I hope we can meet next time I'm in NYC (sometime in the first quarter of 2013). I'm a regular at Maison Premiere.

As well as the recommendations above, I think the absinthe cocktail selection is always good. I've been able to persuade them to make cocktails that were on their earlier lists too.

And of course, the $1 oyster happy hour (4 - 7 pm) is a must!

Alan, it's a date. Be great to meet you after all these years! (Lagniappe, it's always a blast going to the Maison with you industry types. Manangement loves you, and I get to bask in your halo.)

And of course, the $1 oyster happy hour (4 - 7 pm) is a must!

I'll be there when doors open and snag a nice table in the back. Have never tried any of their cocktails, so you'll have to lead the way.

Post's old Krinkles wanted in one some cereal killer action. :devil:

Of course he did! Can't keep a killer clown down. To be fair, Ponchartrain clown had a long and distinguished run.

Off-topic, is it no longer possible to edit our own posts from a previous day? "The absinthes was, as you say, overwatered," I wrote yesterday. ("Absinthes was"? Cringe.)

Edited by Brooks

Cocktails?

They may be changing their absinthe cocktails selection at the moment: no list currently online and they do change this section of the menu quite often.

They had a great absinthe julep with la Clandestine in the summer and their October list had another one with Duplais Verte. Gwydion or Marc may be able to tell you about their latest Marteau and Pacifique cocktails.

Everything on the cocktail menu looks good, although a Clandestine julep would have been right up my alley. Big julep fan.

Yes!

I drank this in July in their garden with Scott (he may have had a different drink). It was very humid outside and this helped me endure the conditions. Not an issue for end-December. I think it had just come off their menu at that time, but they seemed pleased to meet my special request.

Off-topic, is it no longer possible to edit our own posts from a previous day?

Nope.

In fact, I the window is more like an hour, or even less than that.

Doesn't bode well, Abs. My proofreading skills suck.

It was very humid outside and this helped me endure the conditions.

Juleps are my favorite "sittin' on the veranda" summer drink, although given my druthers, I'd druther drink 'em in an air conditioned bar. (I should have been born in the UK. The only summer I've ever enjoyed was the year I went hiking in frigid northern Scotland.)