• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

Be safe folks. Many of us were hit hard last year around this time. My town will get 4 to12 feet of storm surge! Last time a storm like this happened, several friends' homes were literally wiped away by the ocean. Please remember to ground your generators, and not to connect them to your home's circuit panel without the correct transfer switch installed next to the panel! Oh yeah, keep plenty of absinthe on hand, and fill up all your big pots with water!

#2 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

I'm sure you're prepared, Scott, but of all the Society folks I know of out this way you are probably in the most potentially dangerous situation. Be alert. Be well and safe. See you on the back side of this. I'm a little concerned about the brethren along the Susquehanna, as well.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#3 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

Stay high above water, sheltered from the wind, keep water and nonperishable food. Candles, books, and sex help while away the hours while the storm rages.

#4 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

Oh yeah. Walk your dogs before the storm hits. It might be a while before it's safe to let Fido out.

#5 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

I was doing okay until I saw your post, FPB. The Punk lives on the Susquehanna. I keep telling myself he is on a hill so he is protected... Keep safe and sound. All Eastcoasters are in my thoughts.
I am the wood nymph.

#6 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

don't drive through mystery water. Turn around, don't drown.

#7 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

I've heard from all my East Coast children. They are safe and sound. The Punk has no grand stories as the brunt of the storm went south of him. I'm very thankful for that. Sending out thoughts for WS folk effected by the storm.
I am the wood nymph.

#8 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,280 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Glad the kids are alright, Jules. I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, but it would be nice to see a check in from all our up-east folks when they get power.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#9 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

Things good here. Lots of power out in the surrounding area (about 650,000 in CT), but never lost it here. Nothing normal happening. Even the Post Office was closed today.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#10 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:33 AM

Wow. We got hammered. Trees down, many houses all around us hit, two crushed cars on my block, and a great guy killed by a tree, in front of his wife and kids. He was my next door neighbor's best friend...very sad. 60-80 foot maples and Locusts were crashing down all around us. Still 800,000 Without power, including us, but we feel very lucky, trust me. Could be another 10 days, were told.

Edited by Scott M., 01 November 2012 - 04:34 AM.

#11 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

The repairs can take a while. It is a sheer volume of work issue. For Ike they could fix ~100,000 folks per day, we had 4 million without power, Therefore some poor sots got to wait close to 40 days. They repair grids that serve hospitals first, so those lucky enough to share a grid with a hospital get their power right away. And trees matter too, like the Centerpoint rep said here, if you live in a neighborhood known for its elegant trees, you might be out of power for a while. Even with a mild storm my folks lost power for a week this year, and since it was summer, they went to the beach in Bama for a few days, while NOLA sorted itself out.

Good luck, stay sane, grill a lot, be mindful of your resources, and maybe visit Cheryl for a bit.

#12 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

It was nice keeping in touch with Scott on fb until he got lost for a while. Glad he made it back on, but sounded much worse up there than here for obvious reasons. Discovered my youngest was in Brooklyn for the storm following her recent marriage. The neighbors were taking bets as to whether the big pine tree in my yard was going to come down. Thankfully it stayed up, but part of my back porch is gone thanks to a tree limb. I figured the worst of the storm would be at here 8pm, and at 8:15 the lights went out. Word on the street was 2-3 days, but PECO came through and power was restored by noon. My other daughter lost power until Wed., and Kathy finally got hers yesterday. The Jersey shore was decimated, and the folks in NY had that devastating fire that destroyed 110+ homes and too much more. From Hurricane Hazel I endured while we lived in Lancaster County to the many hurricanes in Florida after moving there in 1956, I gotta say this had to be the worst one that has touched an area I was living in. Thankfully, I was in the right place and sustained very little damage compared to others within 100 miles of here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association