TheLoucheyMonster!

Wild Card Absinthe, Oregon Spirit Distillery

First a note to you folks in Portland, tasting party tonight.

See distiller's Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/oregonspiritdistillers?ref=sgm

(you find more information about the absinthe on the facebook page than on main website)

Distiller's website:

http://oregonspiritdistillers.com/

And not just absinthe.

Three microdistilleries have opened up in our relatively small county in the last few months.

Unfortunately, none of them plans on distilling absinthe. :3869-sadbanana:

That would indeed be a good thing... if it is. Their obviously self-written web site doesn't do much to lay a foundation of credibility though. From a cocktail recipe with 12 ounces of base spirit to "Kublier", to bad grammar and syntax, errant "facts" and non-chronological presentation, it's just laced with inaccuracies. At the very least they need a proofreader. More likely they need a copy writer. They need to take a cue from #3 in our terms of service. If this is really good, it would be a little hard to believe the same people involved in the meticulousness necessary to pull that off would put up a site like this.

Just picked up a bottle of Wild Card today. I have to say I'm quite happy with it. I am not a professional taster by any stretch of the imagination. However I have to say its one of my top favorites.

Marteau

Ridge Verte

Wild Card

Pacifique

Viex Pontarlier

Like I said- I'm a novice. However for 50.00US it was worth the buy for me.

I do Louchey, I have all sitting on a shelf right now :)

I planned to make a formal review today when I have had a chance to properly taste it.

I guess I need to start paying more attention. It seems Wild Card sneaked into Connecticut while I wasn't looking. I just happened to see it at a bar last night and did a quick little louche of about a half ounce. In total, I probably spent about a minute with it before pouring off samples for a couple other people, but I gotta' say, it was quite enjoyable. I just took a look at Brian's review of the current offering and, from what I recollect, without committing to a formal review, I pretty much agree with his assessment. It's solid... not necessarily wildly compelling, but nothing glaringly wrong with it either. For the purposes for which that bar uses it (mostly Sazerac rinses), it is perfectly acceptable, and even served traditionally it would be a great intro to absinthe for anyone. I then went back to their website this morning and see it is now well presented, well written, and well edited (so forget what I said in 2012!). Very nice improvements. Nice to see yet another serious entry in the American absinthe scene.

I gotta' get myself back to reviewing.