Sign in to follow this  
TheLoucheyMonster!

Emperor Norton Absinthe, San Francisco

Editor's note: Review Page is now up.

It looks like it is available in San Francisco.

Nice picture of bottle, and label.

http://www.austondesign.com/news/

Distillery website

http://www.raffdisti...om/spirits.html

Posted for sale here

http://www.thewinest...inthe-dieu.html

WTF was Emperor Norton?

http://en.wikipedia..../Emperor_norton

TTB requires that any foreign terms on proposed labels be translated on the label application.

What disturbs me is that the statement of composition is "herb infused neutral brandy"; however on the back label it says "Distilled and bottled by Raff Distillerie".

Hopefully it's a fully distilled product and not just a brandy infusion. It could be a slight error. There's not much information on how it is made or colored but without any FD&C declarations I'm willing to bet it's naturally colored at least which is always a good sign.

The Bay Area only has St. George so it's nice to see another Absinthe add some locavore competition. I know there's another one in the works as well.

Funny, I just referenced their Gin on my blog but I always forget about that Absinthe.

I'm glad Emperor Norton is distilled. The more micros doing absinthe correctly the better.

Can you throw up a link? I can't watch most embedded videos here due to flash. Perhaps I won't be able to view the linked video either. Stink'in Ipad.

Had some of this tonight but not in a venue for official review. Instead I'll give a quick "at the bar" synopsis.

This absinthe is less anise in taste (also resulting in a slightly thin louche) and there seems to be another bittering agent in the mix other than wormwood. The sweetness of the anise is a nice backnote to the complex and herbaceous finish. Overall it's quite unique, bordering on idiosyncratic.

It's not as bad at all and it's definitely something I don't mind buying but there was a noticeable amount of tails detected. Nothing crazy that would set off alarms at first but more apparent with each sip as the flavor built on my palate.

I was surprised to see a bottle of this in Denver so I bought it opportunistically and am sipping it now...it is quite different. The louche really is pretty thin; you could see oils coming out of suspension, but no clouding occurred at all, really. The aroma is there and it...has something I can not but compare to bubblegum. Not artificial and quite pleasant, but unexpected. I can not really pick out what flavors are there specifically, but there is little anise and some more bitterness than is usual. Not regretting buying it for what it is and I look forward to drinking the rest, but for the price I am just a little bit thinking I may have liked St. George better if I knew beforehand that I was going home with something "different" tonight regardless.

Edited by Carefree T

@JosephLabrecque

I'm also in N. Denver, but I made a pilgrimage down to Tipsy's; they had Emperor Norton, St. George, Kübler, La Fee and Leopold Bros. Not even Lucid, Absente or Pernod. Argonaut has St. George, Trinity, Leopold Bros., Lucid, Pernod, Absente, Grande Absente and Kübler. I need to make a pilgrimage north to see what Daveco has these days.

Edited by Carefree T

Ah... haven't been to either of those places. Both are out of the way for me (in terms of what is being carried - I'd definitely make the trip for something like Vilya) but good to know they stock an assortment... though some of those selections are vomit-inducing :puke:

Yeah, last time I went a-looking just to see a couple years ago, it was Grande Absente or Kübler anywhere really, and Pernod would rear its head in a couple places like Total Beverage. So at least there is now some different and even good stuff slowly seeping in.