xcj

Vintage absinthe at Antique Spirits

Antiquespirits.com has been updated with new bottles:

A very rare Edouard Pernod Couvet from around 1890,

a Pernod Fils ca 1910 and four of the last eight bottles of Palazzo Cellar Pernod Fils.

50 ml samples from a Palazzo Cellar bottle are available.

The "Sold Articles" section features lots of very rare bottles including an old bottle of Pernod Fils with an original drawing by Maurice Utrillo (http://en.wikipedia....Maurice_Utrillo)

tot-1024x573.jpg

http://www.antiquespirits.com

I've tasted one of the Pernod Fils 1913. When we opened the bottle there was this incredibly fresh and fragrant scent of wormwood and other herbs. I don't remember that I have ever smelled something as so aromatic before. And the first sip was just an epiphany. It totally changed my understanding of what a great absinthe should taste like. The distiller Bairnsfather had the same experience when he tasted a pre-ban at Mr Guy's (Distillery François Guy) house.

He has since teamed up with Peter Fuss and they make together blended absinthes, which won gold medals at the Absinthiades 2011 and 2012. So I guess he sleeps ok at night, haha. :cheerz:

Sounds about right.

This year there were 14 absinthes in the competition... For me, only three were really drinkable. Authentique and Maison Fontaine did well, both winning Grand Or, which was justice, as quite a few of the other winners were really bad. The competition is not something to take seriously, that's for sure,

I've had a sample of xcj's 1913 Pernod Fils and it was fantastic. I have no other prebans experience to compare it to but the experience/flavor/color/aroma/louche.... all were perfect. In fact I only had a 1/3 of it and am saving the remaining portion for the next special occasion. Many thanks

There's certainly things that need to be fixed regarding the competition. It is only one part of the festival however. They have their heart in the right place however, which you don't see unless you meet the people who run it. The partying, brotherhood, fondue party, and market were wonderful. In fact, I'm hoping that the competition will improve over time, they seem sincere about it, but have work to do. At least this time, decent absinthes won gold. They're learning. The sad part is that due to the Swiss IGP, there is a hole torn in the absinthe community there...it was tactile. I hope they can work things out.

Grande Absente BTW won last year, as it was the last out of 13 to be tasted. It's an insane number to force on one's palate, even with a spit-bucket. By the time we tasted GA, we couldn't tell what we were tasting anymore. This year, there were 14! They really need to split the vertes and blanches into two juries, with 4-5 only to taste. I suspect we'd see a vast improvement in results. I was asked to be on the pro jury again, and I declined, preferring to hang with people and have fun. It was the right choice. The following day however after lunch, a burly and friendly fellow grabbed me by the arm, literally dragging me laughing into the VIP jury room. I caved and did it. It was the same format as last year, which was a disappointment. Again, at least the better absinthes won this time.

Edited by Scott M.

They're making progresses year after year, and you can see it in the results, Maison Fontaine won gold 3 consecutive times. The organizers are honest people, they want to do it right, they get no money from the producers. As Scott metionned, the biggest issue is the number of absinthes to be tasted and evaluated, 12, 13 or 14 is insane, how is your palate after 5-6 absinthes in a row? That's why I decline the invitation every year and prefer to have a nice dinner with some friends.

Btw, beware of Antiquespirits.com. Just saying...

Btw, beware of Antiquespirits.com. Just saying...

Hi Marc.

You should maybe tell us all, what your issues with Antiquespirits.com are. Do you have an issue with the quality of the prebans or the seller, who used to sell exclusively to Oxygenee for many years? Or du you have an issue with me, because I help her with the website and the communication? I don't make money out of her business. I am just helping her, because I think the world is big enough for different distributors. And I don't know, why Antiquespirits someday thought, they would like to sell on the free market instead to Oxygenee, but I do think that's their right to do so. So instead of implying that I or the seller, who owns Antiquespirits are dishonest, you should maybe tell us what the problems are. I for sure know, that I never wronged anyone. Those who got bottles that I helped to sell were happy about the quality and the price. What happened between you guys before, that's your issues. But please enlighten me, if you like to word your concerns about Antiquespirits.

Sincerely, Michèle

Hi Michèle,

I have no issue at all with you, I didn't even know you were helping Chris & Stefania with the website.

I know Chris since 2006 and Stefania since 2011, I am the one who introduced Chris to Oxygenee 8 years ago.

All I can say online is that Chris owes a lot of money to Oxygenee (that's why he doesn't deal directly with him anymore and have opened his own website), and they sold me 2 faked bottles in the past, one in 2006 and one in 2011.

Also, there is no evidence about what is really in those unlabelled Pernod Fils bottles. I'm willing to buy a sample and tell if it's Pernod Fils though...

Marc

PS: too bad we didn't manage to talk together last weekend in Pontarlier. We had invited you and Carsten to join our party on Saturday but you couldn't make it unfortunately. Hope we'll get to talk next time. Please stay assured that I have no issue with you at all.

Hi Marc

Steph sold ca. 80 bottles to David and ca. 10 to you. Among the sold bottles were some Gempp Pernod, Fritz Duval, Edouard Pernod and other brands, including some rare Swiss bottles.

As for the fake bottles, if they were faked by the two (you say in 2006 and 2011), I am wondering why you still did business in 2012 with them.

As for the unlabelled Pernod Fils, you know exactly the unlabelled bottles are Pernod Fils, because in March 2012 you wanted to buy them and asked Stefania to take them off Ebay. I bought one of the bottles and 7 absintheurs have tasted it. I can assure you, everyone recognized the Pernod Fils taste.

As for the accusation, that these people are owing Oxygenee a lot of money: I wonder how, since they were selling 90 bottles to you and not the other way around.

Really, you guys have some unresolved issues. I think you are doing an excellent job in marketing absinthe and absinthe-culture. But in this case you might have the wrong information.

Marc, I accept your offer to buy a sample, and I think everyone should have the chance to find out for themselves, whether the unlabelled bottles are real Pernod Fils.

Antiquespirits.com is now selling 50 ml samples of the pre-ban Pernod Fils for 89 EUR including shipping. These are approximately 115 USD.

You seem to know the story better than I do Michèle, that's quite funny...

As for the fake bottles, if they were faked by the two (you say in 2006 and 2011), I am wondering why you still did business in 2012 with them.

Simply for the benefit of the doubt, and remember that 2 persons were involved here, I was not supposed to know the connection between them. I never said that they faked the bottles, they both have not much experience with absinthe (you know it) and were selling the bottles "as is".

Both Oxy and I have bought a lot of bottles from them knowing the risks, that's part of our job, but I think people here have the right to know...

As for the unlabelled Pernod Fils, you know exactly the unlabelled bottles are Pernod Fils, because in March 2012 you wanted to buy them and asked Stefania to take them off Ebay.

Now that's coming from a private email exchange but ok, 1 - 1, I've mentioned private things too...

Yes, that's what I had asked her right at the beginning, just after seeing the eBay listings, but guess why I never bought any bottle at the end despite the low price offered?

As for the accusation, that these people are owing Oxygenee a lot of money: I wonder how, since they were selling 90 bottles to you and not the other way around.

You're missing a big part of the story here. Oxy paid for 4 vintage bottles he never received. That's when the cooperation stopped between them.

We should stop this online discussion now I think, it's getting very private...

Marc, I accept your offer to buy a sample

Ok, deal done. Please send me the details by email : marc @ oxygenee . com

Marc and Michèle,

Your personal business aside, I'm curious to know how the sampling turns out. If it's legitimate, I have yet to try pre-ban...