Sign in to follow this  
Harry

BRINGING ABSINTHE TO THE STATES

......need some guidance......

......i am finally moving back to the States after being 13 years overseas....

.....i want to ship back some absinthe........

........does anyone know if it is legal or illegal to ship absinthe back to the States...???

....i can't seem to get a straight answer out of the government sites.....

.....i am talking about 3 or 4 bottles........

Since many stores ship here without too much issue, you could just ship them via UPS/FedEx. The worse that can happen would be an ignorant civil service minion confiscating it, but those episodes are very rare nowadays.

Thanks for that. Legally the position is quite clear.

http://www.cbp.gov/x...AbsintheAlcohol

"The importation of absinthe is subject to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration regulations (21 C.F.R. 172.510 and the Department of the Treasury’s Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau regulations (27 C.F.R. Parts 13.51, 5.42(a), and 5.65. The absinthe content must be “thujone free” (that is, it must contain less than 10 parts per million of thujone); the term “absinthe” cannot be the brand name; the term “absinthe” cannot stand alone on the label; and the artwork and/or graphics cannot project images of hallucinogenic, psychotropic or mind-altering effects. Absinthe imported in violation of these regulations is subject to seizure."

I couldn't possibly suggest you ignore these rules. Whenever I come into the US with samples, I always have a copy of my US permit and I am always prepared to declare it. On the other hand, I declare them as commercial samples so it's easier for me.

Can't get a better legal explanation than that.

Just like with shipping from overseas, it is a bit of a crapshoot, but the odds seem to be way better than they used to be.

.............thank you, gentlemen....

............in my military packout, i am allowed to ship alcohol with my household goods.....

...........i guess i'll just put the absinthe on the declaration sheet and hope for the best.......

..........i don't think i can drink 5 bottles in one week..............

Just one more comment. In the last year or so, I have been aware of three people who had their absinthe confiscated when returning to the USA. Two of them decided to appeal, having contacted me about it since they had purchased La Clandestine in Europe. I provided them both with a PDF of our US government approval and they were both able to get the confiscations over-turned and got their bottles back (including in one case bottles that had been bought from another supplier). The other person decided not to appeal.

Confiscations are not the norm, and in some cases seem to be as a result of the customs officers not even knowing that absinthe is legal in the USA (I noted that the one time I was stopped for carrying samples and plants!). If the worst happens, it seems to be worthwhile challenging customs. People here are probably better informed on this subject than many of the customs officers and may be able to provide information to help any challenge.

I brought 3 bottles back from London last April with no trouble. They did open my bag to inspect (I found a note inside the bag when I got home) but I had always assumed it was to make sure the bottles weren't bombs. One of the bottles I brought back was an open one and another was a flask size... not sure if that mattered. Maybe if you open and drink a little of each before packing (reclose securely with lots of tape!) they'll let it slide. I know I would have FREAKED if I got home and found my treasures had been confiscated!

a couple of quick questions about shipping from overseas. I have a package from absinthe's.com that has been in customs since the 28th. I have been through this before so I am sure everything is fine it's just frustrating to see it sit there for days. I have always been a little confused though about shipping times, absinthe's.com says 6-8 days to US am I correct in assuming that that means to the USA and not necessarily to my door? I made my order on the 25th and it was shipped on the 27th so I also assume that the 6-8 days didn't start until it was shipped. finally what if by some chance that a package does get confiscated would someone notify me or would I have to contact the retailer at some point.

I did do a search on this subject as I am sure it's been asked before. got a lot of hits but saw nothing that answered my questions

From my sig:

Shipping/Vendor questions: How long? Who? Where is my order? How reliable is ___?

Specific vendors can be searched for in the search function if you have questions about any one business.

We have a recommended vendor listthat we have compiled based on member experiences. This list is by no means complete and doesn't necessarily mean if you go with a different company who is not on this list, you will not be serviced properly.

Shipping can depend on many factors. Domestic retailers should have your package to you within a week or so. International ones can take significantly longer, especially if the package gets held up in customs. Don't be surprised if it takes 3-4 weeks. However, in most circumstances it will be significantly shorter than that. If you're worried, don't hesitate to call or email the retailer directly.

Tracking numbers are notoriously unreliable when the shipment is coming in from overseas. It's not out of the ordinary to see the status of your package as 'In Customs', or still in the country of origin, and have your package delivered on that same day. I.e. if your status is stuck for a few days, it's not necessarily a cause for alarm.

Stuff from Oxy gets slow when it hits the usa, because it goes into the hands of the usps. LdF might use a quicker version, it got here in 5 work days. Same as from Catskills Cellars.

My stuff from LdF also arrives via USPS and gets to me in 4-5 days, so the postal service isn't at fault.