8 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

Any of you beer brewers know of any good sources for nitrogen carbonation for small batches? I'm working on a few batches of stouts and really want them to be served with nitrogen instead of CO2. Problem is, I'm only looking at 2-3 gallons for each batch.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#2 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

I've never done nitrogen carbonation, but back when I was doing kegs and CO2, there were gas supply places that could pressure test tanks and fill them. They are often medical gas suppliers, or fire system places, or welding places, ...

I'm curious, are you planning to keg or bottle? There's a brewery here in Colorado doing a widget-less nitro bottled stout (Left Hand Milk Stout). Results are ok, I didn't think it performs as well as the fancy widget-cans. They suggest pouring the beer hard from the bottle, and I had to practically turn it upside-down to get any sort of nitro "cascade" effect. End result was a pretty flat beer, but with the typical tight, creamy head from a nitro serve. You might try contacting them and see what they could tell you.

You really got me thinking about this -- I've force carbonated with a CO2 tank w/ regulator and corny kegs, but never with nitrogen. And then do you need a fancy Guinness-style tap for serving? Keep us posted, I'm interested to hear how this turns out!

#3 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,730 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

I've force carbonated with corny kegs.

Braggart.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#4 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

And then do you need a fancy Guinness-style tap for serving?

That's the plan. I've already got a Guinness tap, but I'm just concerned about finding a 2-3 gallon mini-keg that has the proper fixtures to attach to it. Is there some kind of conversion kit, or are there kegs that small that have the regular style connections? I've always bottled my batches in the past, so have no idea about the keg side of things.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#5 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

Sorry Brian, sounds like a question for the homebrew shop. I've known guys who have had small kegs (3 gal.? sounds about right), and all of the fittings were the same as the 5 gallon soda kegs. But things change, and my info is all at least 15 years old ...

#6 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

Yeah, that's my problem. We used to have a home few shop a few miles from here, but it closed down.

I will make it work!

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#7 Herbaceous Vic

Herbaceous Vic

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

Hey Brian - you can definitely find 2 1/2gal corny kegs with the same fittings as the 5gal - they're not cheap:

http://www.williamsb.../KEGS-C109.aspx

Nitrogen tanks also employ a different regulator than CO2:

http://www.beveragef...tor/index.shtml

Here's a thread addressing the "nitrogen force-carbonating" issue:

http://www.homebrewt...itrogen-156590/

Hope this helps.

#8 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,818 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

Perfect. Thanks! I'm planning to add a Guinness tap to the two normal taps I have in my bar when it's finally built out next year, so it's worth the investment to 'do it right' this time.

Cheers!

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#9 Herbaceous Vic

Herbaceous Vic

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

You're welcome, kind Sir. I wish you well in your brewing and subsequent dispensing endeavors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association