Shep

I'm Not as Think as You Drunk I am

Hi Everyone. First of all let me congratulate all of you for being part of what shouldn't an elite movement. I have been doing lots of reading and am intrigued by the history behind absinthe. When I consume alcoholic beverages (pretty much everyday to some extent) it is, 99% of the time, wine. However, I believe I am missing out on something special by not being part of the absinthe revolution. I (mistakenly) recently purchased Versinthe absinthe from LCBO (I am from Ontario, Canada) and was not pleased ...even though this is the first absinthe product I have ever tasted. In fact, I don't actually beleive it should be called absinthe now that I have looked into it as it is premixed with sugar and 45% alcohol. I will be reviewing board to find the best way for me to get REAL absinthe and if it means I need to spend good $ to get ... I will. I have already seen lot's of info around the best ones to buy...just need to figure out how to best get them.

Welcome, and you are right... Versinthe is a liqueur, but its 45 ABV is not an indicator of not being genuine absinthe; there are absinthes at this ABV.

Edited by Scott M.

Get yourself a bottle or two of King of Spirits Gold. It'll knock the socks off you.

Thank-you everyone for the warm welcome! Thanks Scott M. for the info on ABV...I am still very much in the learning phase. As for the King of Spirits Gold, I see it is high in Thujone and quite expensive. I have seen posts that Thujone content above a certain amount does not matter but am skeptical. Does anyone have any input on this? Are there any Canadians (preferably from Ontario) who have imported this? Can I expect it to arrive? What duty will I pay?

Thanks again everyone..I look forward to embarking on this new journey. :worshippy:

Paul (my real name)

Noooooo ! stay away from KOS! It is vile dreck! The reviews on the front of WS are the best guides.

I think was a :sarc: post.!

Thanks TheLoucheyMonster. I will say am very interested in the Thojone efffect...dpes this change you opinion?... any suggestions?

Paul

I am interseted in GTA (Toronto, Ontario) get-togethers to learn more..anything coming up soon?

Paul

I will say am very interested in the Thojone efffect...dpes this change you opinion?...

No such thing.

You can find a lot of info in the FAQ http://wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=184&Itemid=136

It very much a dead issue. Read the part about thujone and "secondary" effects. Also you can check the old threads here with the search function.

Thujone wasn't really well known at the time of Absinthe's banning and so it became the scapegoat. Turns out that everything said about it back then was pretty much a load of B.S.

Reading the science sections Louchey pointed you towards will reveal that it is a convulsant and requires quite a bit of it in your system to hit the lowest discernible effect level. Even with Absinthe at 100ppm you'd be dead from alcohol poisoning before you felt the slightest effect. The effect isn't exactly recreational either.

Other plants have thujone in them as well. Especially Sage, Tarragon, Rosemary, Mints, etc., etc. You don't hear about a Sage Rubbed Steak effect, or the thujone high of a Minty Mojito, because there isn't any. The same goes for Wormwood and Absinthe.

Shady marketers use thujone myths to sell and overcharge for what is usually vile and fake Absinthe. Don't be a sucker.

Welcome! Do NOT try King of Spirits... it was a joke (I hope!). The reviews section is invaluable, and if you can't get anything good where you live, check out the recommended vendors to have the good stuff shipped.

Don't listen to the carrion dinosaur.

KOS is just delicious.

Of course, I'm a clown, so you'd better listen to the carrion dinosaur.

Hi & welcome, Shep (Paul)!

The title of this thread actually caught my attention, but I hope you're at least sober enough to learn what a good absinthe is versus a lousy crapsinthe (as KOS). I also hope that your next one will get you going as an aspiring absintheur.

:cheers:

Thanks everyone...I have been reading and talking to people to increae my education. I still haven't decided what to buy first but can't wait to try it. I will probably order something this week.