Sign in to follow this  
AndrewMTO

Another Absinthe Drinker from Ontario, Canada

Hello:

I am from Ontario where the local liquor authorities do not carry very much absinthe. Lucid, Hill's and Versinthe (which I am not sure if it is absinthe or a substitute.) I am looking forward to exploring the site and starting my journey into absinthe!

I have seen some Canadians who have bought from American sites. If you are from Ontario, can you tell me how you do this? If you do it officially through the LCBO, the duties, taxes and fees add up to another 143% cost.

I will try to buy mine when I am travelling but that can be difficult as my wife and kids do not want to be dragged around looking for stores that sell absinthe while they are on vacation.

Thank you everyone,

Andrew.

Hey fellow Ontarian! Where abouts are you from? I live just outside of Sarnia Ontario.

Getting absinthe brands sold in the states can be tricky. You basically have to smuggle it over or pay big time duty because of the high alcohol percent. I was looking for some in Port Huron Michigan but was only able to find Lucid. I got it because it was 45$ instead of 64$ like here in Ontario. I declared it at the boarder like a good boy and had to pay another 40$ duty. Never again.

I just order mine from Absinthes.com, theyre good people with a great selection! In fact im waiting on a order now. This time I ordered Jade Edouard, Roquette and Amer 72. Now I just hope the customs pricks dont confiscate it. I should know by Monday morning.

Someday I hope to try some american brands. Ive read enough info on them, from the good folks here, that they must be delicious!

Cheers! :pirate:

If you happen to visit Buffalo, NY, there are some pretty good options for you. :cheers:

Could you name me some stores in Buffalo. When I go on holidays, I usually fly out of Buffalo and so could pick some up when I am in town because the airport fees and flights and taxes are so much cheaper than a lot of flights at home and I am only a two hour drive from Buffalo. :worshippy:

My first Absinthe was a bottle of La Fee. :paperbag3: I have only had one other one, who's name I cannot remember, after a nice meal in Williamsburg in Virginia and I am looking to try the ones that are more highly recommended from the very useful reviews page. And so I am very interested in what my options are in Buffalo.

Thank you,

Andrew.

Hey fellow Ontarian! Where abouts are you from? I live just outside of Sarnia Ontario.

Getting absinthe brands sold in the states can be tricky. You basically have to smuggle it over or pay big time duty because of the high alcohol percent. I was looking for some in Port Huron Michigan but was only able to find Lucid. I got it because it was 45$ instead of 64$ like here in Ontario. I declared it at the boarder like a good boy and had to pay another 40$ duty. Never again.

I live in Scarborough. I am down your way maybe a couple of times a year as my wife's brother lives in Michigan and we cross at the Blue Water Bridge. Where can I buy Absinthe out in the Port Huron area? :worshippy:

I also have family in Ottawa and so may look to see what Quebec's Alcohol Board of Control has available as well. I can read French and so when I check them out, I could PM you what they have. :cheers:

While I like the LCBO, I think that their 143% mark-up for importing alcohol "legally" is robbery. :pirate:

I only bring alcohol home when I can bring in my duty free amount.

I am looking at the online sources but will probably only use them for accessories like a nice fountain until the LCBO charges a more reasonable rate for importing through them as I do not want to risk my purchase being seized and used b someone who has no appreciation for what Absinthe is!

Last I checked, Michigan is a liquor control state, so I'm not sure what's available...last time I had people asking me about what they should buy, they didn't have a very good selection.

If you happen to visit Buffalo, NY, there are some pretty good options for you. :cheers:

Could you name me some stores in Buffalo. When I go on holidays, I usually fly out of Buffalo and so could pick some up when I am in town because the airport fees and flights and taxes are so much cheaper than a lot of flights at home and I am only a two hour drive from Buffalo. :worshippy:

My first Absinthe was a bottle of La Fee. :paperbag3: I have only had one other one, who's name I cannot remember, after a nice meal in Williamsburg in Virginia and I am looking to try the ones that are more highly recommended from the very useful reviews page. And so I am very interested in what my options are in Buffalo.

Thank you,

Andrew.

Hi, Andrew,

The Premier Group has 3 locations in the Buffalo area with a decent selection of absinthes last time I checked.

Supermarket Wines & Liquors, in Niagara Falls, NY, carries a fairly wide variety as well.

(Pacifique, La Clandestine, Vieux Pontarlier, Duplais Verte, to name a few of the better ones. I believe La Fee is also availbale if you're feeling nostalgic, haha)

I also have family in Ottawa and so may look to see what Quebec's Alcohol Board of Control has available as well.

While I like the LCBO, I think that their 143% mark-up for importing alcohol "legally" is robbery.

The absinthes that are most available via the Quebec Liquor Board are Hills, La Clandestine, and Kübler.

The 143% sounds high, but don't forget that the Canadian liquor boards are quite efficient. No importer margin, no wholesaler margin and probably lower marketing spends. With the result that products cost not much more in Canada than in the USA. Lucid is $64.95 in the LCBO: not very different in the USA. La Clandestine is $80.75 in Quebec; not very different in the USA.

Welcome and cheers :cheers: Hopefully Canada loosens up on the sauce. Down here the laws are pretty chill, but believe me I feel your pain. :3869-sadbanana:

Wow! :groupwave reversed:

Thank you to all who posted. :cheerz:

I only just returned after a long delay. I bought a bottle of Lucid to try when I was in New York. I am saving my pennies to get an absinthe fountain like the one that was used in Virginia. Thank you to all of the well wishers. I go to Virginia every March and am trying to arange Phoenix this summer so I might try and order something from American distributors that I cannot get at home.

:wave2: Welcome fellow Ontarian!!

I am pretty new here and to the world of absinthe, but I can say that I have ordered from absinthes.com twice and both times went smoothly.