Sign in to follow this  
mgs

São Paulo (Brazil)

Does anybody known any good place in São Paulo to drink absinthe ?

- Marcelo

Hello Marcelo.

There is no real decent absinthe commercially available in Brazil. These are the brands you'll be able to find:

Brazilian Brands available:

- Absinto Camargo

- Lautrec Absinto

- Absinto Birds Valverde

Imported brands available:

- Absinto Neto Costa (Portugal)

- PERE KERMANN´S (France)

Out of those the only one I haven't tasted yet is the Birds Valverde. All of the others are artificially colored, very light in flavour and aroma (Camargo is the least bad one, but low on anise), and barely show any louche.

The Brazilian laws limits alcohol content to 54,5%abv. So nothing over that can be legally registered here (either locally produced, or imported).

Unfortunately I don't live in SP, otherwise I'd invite you over to try my absinthe. Some folks from the community tried it at the GAAF and no one spit it out :laugh: (at least not while I was watching).

Now, when talking about São Paulo, there are a few pretty nice places to taste cocktails.

I recently spent a week there doing "mixology research" checking out whats available, and I had a pleasant surprise.

I'd recommend:

- MyNy - Very nice place, great food and great drinks (including smoked, carbonated and wood aged cocktails, don't foget to try the wood aged negroni, or their Sazerac). Inspired on New York style "Speakeasy". The door resembles a brick wall, so when you get there, you don't see a bar... only when you approach it they open the door revealing the "hidden" bar inside. My favorite place, would go again many times to chill in the nice atmosphere.

- Sub Astor - Also a cool place, somewhat hidden as well, its located under the Astor, a traditional bar in SP. Great drink selection, lots of signature drinks. My second favorite, would go back to sip some nice martinis, or to impress a new date.

- NOH Bar - Focused on molecular and technological mixology. Very interesting drinks, some using vacuum equipment to insert booze into fruits, some smoked cocktails. Almost everything is "signature". Even tho the cocktails are very good, its not my kind of place. Looks more like a dance club lounge, where you go just "to be seen there", then a bar or pub where everyone is simply enjoying themselves.

Best bet is going to be doing what all us Yanks had to do pre-2005. Get stuff sent to you, perhaps relabeled, as something other than booze.

In the meantime, you can always start lobbying your government. We have oceans of tools, scientific studies, etc on the boards (scattered a bit perhaps) to help in your efforts. And, you get to be a national hero if you are successful, :cheers:

Thanks for the comments above ! Although I was born in São Paulo, I don't live there anymore.... I am going to Brazil this week for a conference, and for one or two nights I will be available to find something to do there.... maybe I will try one of the places recommended.... I remember that someone said that in Brazil, any booze cannot be more than 55%, so that will be a tough experience to get real absinthe there....

Cheers !

- Marcelo

Thanks for the comments above ! Although I was born in São Paulo, I don't live there anymore.... I am going to Brazil this week for a conference, and for one or two nights I will be available to find something to do there.... maybe I will try one of the places recommended.... I remember that someone said that in Brazil, any booze cannot be more than 55%, so that will be a tough experience to get real absinthe there....

Cheers !

- Marcelo

Its true, the regulation about registering alcoholic beverages only allows spirits up to 54,5%

Not sure what style of place you like... but if you have 1 shot, I'd suggest MyNy.