Gwydion Stone

Forum Software Upgrade - Outage

The day-long outage of the forums a couple of days ago was due to the host upgrading to a new version of PHP that our outdated forum software is incompatible with.

The host offered to temporarily go back to the older version on this one server, just to get the forum back up, but I need to upgrade the software asap.

I'll warn you ahead of time, the newer version is substantially different in layout and functions, both for the regular forums and the admin area on the back end. I'm not a big fan of some of the changes, but we really don't have a choice. We'll probably also have to put up with the default skin of the forums until I can get something together that matches the home page.

I'll try to do this at a time with minimum traffic, but the actual outage shouldn't be more than a half hour or so.

The forum software upgrade has been scheduled, so don't be surprised by downtime. This will be done by the software providers, so I don't have an exact time, sorry.

Whoa, where did the art nuveau go? I thought I hit the wrong link.

It does look more modern. A bit more options too. Looks to work with MS Word.

Warning points?

Edited by Père Ubu

What the hell is an IPS Community and why is it so gray?

I'm almost certain my louche would be greener and less opaque.

I'll warn you ahead of time, the newer version is substantially different in layout and functions [...]

We'll probably also have to put up with the default skin of the forums until I can get something together that matches the home page.

What the hell is an IPS Community and why is it so gray?

Invision Power Services (IPS is the company that makes the community forum software we use, Invision Power Board (IPB).

Unfortunately I couldn't create a new skin until the new board was in place.

I'll be working on the new skin and layout as I can. First, you'll see some color changes, then design elements will be replaced.

Warning points?

There are a number of default setting that come with the software install out of the box. Visible warning points were one of them. The ability to "like" a post is another. I'm on the fence about that one.

@greytail :laf: What usually happens is that the warned party gets disproportionately offended and begins to act out their anger, which propels them to further and more egregious offenses. But that's because we reserve formal warnings for people who are total jerks anyway.

@Cajun: When you click in the text box to reply, all of the editing tools, including adding links and images and emoticons should automagically appear. Click on the smily face to get the short list of emoticons, which you can scroll through horizontally. Click it again to hide the list. Click "show all" to get the complete selection in a popup on the left.

@Pete: Click on the little arrow to the right of your name at the top right of the page; go to "Personal Messenger".

I just discovered a cool new feature: the page lets you know when someone posts while you're writing and gives you the option to load it without losing your reply!

My comments re: the new site can be summed up in a series of 'bitchbitchbitchbitch'.

Also, my lil' silver cup under my avatar is feeling awful tarnished by this new look.

Really? Because I'm loving the new look more and more with every minute of scrambling that I've been doing to learn and implement a whole new system most of yesterday and all of today so far, just to make sure everything works the way it's supposed to and everyone has the same access that they need, let alone making things pretty.

From a root admin perspective, it's kind of like a car mechanic going from a 1968 Ford to a 2013 BMW.

I think it's pretty groovy. Kinda like the Six Million Dollar Man upgrade. "We have the technology, we have the capability, to make the WS better, stronger, faster."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA&feature=player_embedded

:twitchsmile: Whoa! How'd I do that?!

Yeah, I'm diggin' it.

Edited by Songcatcher

If you mouse over a members name it pops up the info that used to be under your avatar, a little "status" line you can update, and messenger box. This is flippin' cool!

:drunk: