Sign in to follow this  
Todd

Red Infusion

So, I saw a video that added a small amount of red wine to their absinthe. This has me intrigued. I personally don't know a lot about wines. I was wondering if anyone has done this or has tried it. What was the result and is it done for personal taste or is it just a visual type of thing.

If this is worthy of looking into, what type of red wine would someone suggest trying.

There's something in the Phil Baker absinthe book about red wine mixed with absinthe being called a "Scavenger's Absinthe". It sounds awful. Unfortunately, I can tell you from experience that it is even worse than it sounds. A few years before I found this forum, I tried it at a friend's request. I have never thrown up as quickly or as forcefully before or since. This wasn't just a small amount, but I don't see how any amount of red wine could be a good thing mixed with absinthe.

Edited by plasticstatic

being fairly new to absinthe I am an experimenting type of guy looking to tantilize my very picky palette.

Ah, there's your problem.

Try tantalizing your very picky palate instead. :tongue: ;)

I have used a bottle of red wine and reduced it to about 3 or 4 ounces.

A few drops will turn a blanche into a red/or slightly purple. The taste is ok and You can use and eyedropper to gauge the amount you use.

Have fun. :cheers:

being fairly new to absinthe I am an experimenting type of guy looking to tantilize my very picky palette.
Ah, there's your problem. Try tantalizing your very picky palate instead. :tongue: ;)

haha you got me. my phone correction at its worst.

:twitchsmile:

I have used a bottle of red wine and reduced it to about 3 or 4 ounces. A few drops will turn a blanche into a red/or slightly purple. The taste is ok and You can use and eyedropper to gauge the amount you use. Have fun. :cheers:

hmm, now ya hooked me again. what type of red would you propose? something bitter or more sweet? I'm very ignorant to wines.

I used cheap because I was reducing the wine so much that there was very little flavor or booze to worry about. Some members have seen it done.

:)

I tried once a Kir, white wine in a glass with about 10% absinthe... It was drinkable, but I still prefer the regular Kir...

La Clandestine is a fun intro into blanches, I'd say. Edit: if you meant for the wine thing, then I dunno...

I have been thinking about a Blanche to try and clandestine has been at the top of my list. I do wonder tho if it will be as complex as a verte. I dunno if its just me but it just doesn't feel like an Absinthe if it isn't green. but I will more than likely give it a try to be impartial. :)

my main curiosity Is If a champagne can go so well with absinthe why wouldnt a wine? Is It the double fermentation? to be honest I really wanna try, but to make sure Im using a wine that would complement the absinthe. maybe design something new... dunno will have to see. :)

A white wine would be better in my opinion, but I think your curiosity won't let you rest until you've tried it with a red. So why not go for it... Your experience may differ greatly from mine.

I might try this with a sweet Lambrusco to start with, as it would bridge the gap between a DITA and your red wine + absinthe experiment. If that works well (is tasty), then maybe I'll try a still red wine that has some residual sweetness and see how that goes. What I'd guess wouldn't be as tasty would be a dry, still, red wine with a lot of tannin + absinthe. That just sounds like a bad combo to me.

Use Kübler. Don't mess up Clandestine.

Better yet, use a glass of water until you see how the stuff colors.

For me, I like absinthe the color it arrives in. It's a dumb game to color your favorite booze.

I was told that by someone I respect.

But, if you are going to use wine, reduce the bottle down to about 2 to 4 ounces. Takes awhile but it's interesting. Be careful when playing with fire. Peace!

Clandestine is quite delicious. I find that its a super refreshing glass of absinthe after a hot day of work.. It works better than most i have tried when ice cold. Not just chilled, but ICE cold. Like add cube to absinthe before louche, in a glass from the freezer or one chilled with packed ice before prep. Lots of ice in the broullier, and another in the glass to bring up to final dilution level (I mark my glasses with a fill line so I know exactly how much is goin in there.

Claude Alain Bugnon (sp?) says not to use water which is too cold, which really opens up the drink to explore whats going on in the glass. But for a hot summer day, nothing beats a Clandestine Frappé :thumbup:

:cheers:

Edited by AFO

I do wonder tho if it will be as complex as a verte. I dunno if its just me but it just doesn't feel like an Absinthe if it isn't green.
Sometimes even more complex. And believe me, when you see the beautiful louche start to form and smell the wonderful frangrance coming from your glass, you'll know it's an absinthe.

I used cheap because I was reducing the wine so much that there was very little flavor or booze to worry about. Some members have seen it done.

:)

I had a glass. It was rosey red and hardly impacted the flavor. I'm scared to play with fire.

I wouldn't do it, because I don't drink...wine! You don't have to worry about me drinking all your "red infusion" because, I... never drink wine :devil: ,but seriously do what you want and if bad experience ensues you learn from it, just don't be suprised if the flavors don't jive. :cheerz:

Edited by Cajun Magic

thank you guys, lots of feed back. having a bunch of mix feelings on this gives It alot to think about and weigh In on. once I do purchase a blanche I have a feeling I will go with a sweet red just to sate my curiosity. I do think your right though, something with a high tannin might be very aweful.

if I do find something unique I will make a prep video and post it to YouTube for you guys. :)

Edited by Todd

I've always thought that Pinot Noir and absinthe might pair well, although I've never tried it. I think reduced un-oaked P.N. (with no residual sugar) could be a great coloring agent for a rouge.

could be a great coloring agent for a rouge.

That's what my comments were all about.

I wasn't thinking............I should have that checked. :cheers: