75 replies to this topic

#61 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

Ok, slight derailment and you can have the thread back. :wave2:

I struggle with being PC. I try so hard sometimes and it taxes my tiny little man brain. :)

Off color humor is just that.

Throw in a little religion or politcs and I'm out. Won't play.

I love women, all of them. My wife gets the brunt of many of my jokes. I always pay later. ;)

I love humans all together, well, I tolerate politicians. *shudder*

My Precious has sipped absinthe a dozen times or so over the last few years. Maybe twice a year. She has enjoyed a few drinks that included absinthe and I make some now an again. She made a bitter beer face the first time she sipped pre ban!!!!! It was like a dagger in my eye.

In my world, women drink either whisk(e)y, wine or lite beers.

I know very few that stray from what they enjoy. It's their comfort zone or happy place booze. Most don't like change or people pushing change on them. Men are the same in some of those ways.

Here, drink this milky looking herbal liquor! No, I mean hell no. Get that shit away from me.

This is why I'm limited to such short posts. Run with it Absomphe.

And I ramble on and on and make me stop.....please.....I'm begging! :cheers:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... etc :laf: You been drinkin.
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#62 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

Throw in a little religion or politcs and I'm out. Won't play.

Oh nothing is funnier than politics in this country. It's SO funny that it's NOT funny.

And I would add bigotry and sexism to that list. For me.
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#63 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

Holy crap, what kind of women do you guys know?

Hookers?

No, mainly just strippers. :paperbag3:

I now know the price of Ambear's soul is a pair of Italian shoes. Or at least what it takes to get a :thumbup: from her.

She'll get the soul back. She always does. :devil:

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#64 RadarGreg

RadarGreg

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

Now wait just a second, Mr. Stone. I did not post anything about women libbers or make any personal attacks. Quoting and changing what I said it the post is only going to get more hate thrown at me for something I did not say or post.

Nah, it won't. It's what we do sometimes. I was merely poking a little fun at your non-PC humor, which I followed up with some of my own non-PC humor. Your post and crow's response just reminded me of an old joke:

Question: How many feminists does it take to change a light bulb?
Answer 1: That's not funny, it's demeaning.
Answer 2: Four. One to change the bulb, and three to write about how the bulb is exploiting the socket.
Answer 3: Two. One to change the lightbulb, and one to explain how they don't need men to change it.
Answer 4: Five. One to declare that the bulb violated the socket, one to secretly wish she was the socket, one to secretly wish she was the bulb, one to do it all by herself, and one to say "that's not funny!"

But I did rather enjoy making you say "wimmins-libbers", which has a built-in irony all its own.

Ok, ok. I get it now. I just didn't want to get thrown under a bus after I had already drawn the ire of some longtime female members of the forum. Being new to a forum often has its own perils and generally pissing off everyone the first month you are here is not the best way to get started. I have put my thicker skin on and closeted the much lighter, thin skin. In about a week I'll be out of Crappylandistan, and I shall raise a glass of a milky green(post lousched) absinthe in your honor! :cheers:
I like my absinthe like my women; bitter and intoxicating.

#65 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,187 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

There is no bus schedule. Expect the unexpected. :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#66 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

But the bus is coming eventually, right?
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#67 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

Without a doubt my dear Doctor. :devil:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#68 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

Everyone who tried them liked them, but several folks were shocked to learn what was in them. The receptionist said something like, "Where the HECK did you get absinthe??" and I have a feeling it was a bit anticlimactic when I answered, "Um...BevMo?" rather than "I traded a sack of doubloons for it in France and then, disguised as a stevedore, smuggled it back over on a cargo boat." :pirate:

Wow I like you Coralyne you have a great sense of humor :laf: I Luscious Oily Lesbians!'d heartily. But your post begs the question how can I wear a stevedore disguise without looking like I am a member of a Village People Tribute band and thus being pointed and laughed at? My ruse will surely fail then! :3869-sadbanana:
P.S. I love wordfilter shennanigans :thumbup:

Edited by Cajun Magic, 15 August 2012 - 07:31 PM.

Laissez le bon temps rouler!
L' Huere Verte! C'est le bon temps!
Absinthe! Comme c'est la douceur de vivre!

#69 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:02 AM

Being new to a forum often has its own perils and generally pissing off everyone the first month you are here is not the best way to get started. I have put my thicker skin on and closeted the much lighter, thin skin.

I like you already! :cheers:

In about a week I'll be out of Crappylandistan, and I shall raise a glass of a milky green (post louched) absinthe

I'll be doing the same.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#70 Harlequin

Harlequin

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

Wait, absinthe is not attractive to women? Ok, I am not the typical girl. I love whiskey too! I am a sort of guy's girl anyway...I get along with guys and have many more male friends than women.

But...I can make absinthe girl friends here!

To answer your question...I know some women who like sambuca and ouzo. You could get some Kübler and add sweetness to it, since it tastes like anise. I don't know what women like...maybe make an absinthe cosmo with a pink umbrella popping out of it? See, I am no help. Girls are supposed to like pink and men blue though I'd point out in my unpopular know-it-all way that before the 1930's, pink was for boys being a softer version of an actiony color, while blue represented the Virgin Mary and feminine softness. Again, I am no help! (I noticed someone already pointed out on here to make it pink, but I wrote this before I read that. I know women who'd buy anything if it's pink. As a woman who likes dark colors like navy, burgundy and black, I don't get this at all.)

You could add a sweet liqueur to it, but too much sweetness would ruin the taste of absinthe. I mean, it isn't an appletini for God's sake!

Could I just approach a girl friend and say, "Here, drink this!"? Would that be ok?

It could be the fact that people here think it makes you trip balls. Women, including myself, tend to guard their drinks anyway, because you never know...but the add the fact a drink has a reputation of causing hallucinations and other crazy behavior...I can understand why women would not choose it as their first option at a bar. At $10 plus tip starting for a glass (but really I would savor only one glass), I could see why a $4 cranberry vodka would have an appeal.

Edited by Harlequin, 08 January 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#71 Harlequin

Harlequin

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

I have zero facts to support this, but I would guess the ratio of men to women who partake in spirits in general is probably the same across the range of each class of spirit. For example, there are more men than women who drink whisky. There are women who love a good Scotch as well, just as in the absinthe community. Hell, they are probably the same women, for that matter.

That's me!

I could say the same thing happens in San Diego with craft beers. Companies make light beers for the girls and some even put them in pink containers. Some are flavored like banana bread or some other dessert.

#72 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

The Henriod sisters are rumored to have created absinthe. Most old advertising features women with absinthe (to appeal to whom is the question). It's said that most of the workers harvesting Swiss Wormwood were women, and that's not exactly easy, I've done it. Plenty of female distillers kept it alive during prohibition. Even a few females distill it as well today, including the amazing Ridge Blanche!

Women have been and continue to be a big part of Absinthe.

The perception that it is a male thing might have more to do with the myth that Absinthe is a drug and parallel the macho-druggie image of one who "tries anything". For example, most (all) youtube vids of people doing stupid things with (fake) absinthe are male.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#73 Viseguy

Viseguy

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

I can't imagine why women would shy away from absinthe. It's a drink that (stereotypically) appeals to men who are in touch with their feminine side -- artists, poets, guys who speak French, etc. -- and so should appeal (stereotypically) to women as well, no? If "losing control" is the issue -- and I have read that men and women metabolize alcohol differently -- well, absinthe is the only liquor I know of where watering it down is an essential part of the ritual. Not just a dash of water to open up the flavors, but more water than liquor! Perfect for anyone, regardless of sex, who prefers nursing a mild drink to guzzling straight booze. Stereotypes be damned!
Viseguy

#74 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

It's a drink that (stereotypically) appeals to men who are in touch with their feminine side -- artists, poets, guys who speak French, etc. -- and so should appeal (stereotypically) to women as well, no?

I like this opinion best. :thumbup:
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#75 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Absinthe does no such thing for me. It is just a tasty way to get ethanol into me.
But your definition femininity might explain my inability to learn French, although the sad truth is that I'm too lazy and ADD to learn. :)

#76 Trinity Absinthe

Trinity Absinthe

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

I think there is a growing community of women interested in absinthe... ;)

Women and spirits in general have had a very unique and ever-changing relationship throughout history. Organizations like LOAD and LUPEC are helping to revive the culture in a positive and informative way, so hopefully we can all move forward from the let's-get-drunk-and-flash-our-boobies thing.

Actually, there is reason to believe that women should be much more involved in the spirits world, whether regarding absinthe specifically or not, because of their generally more heightened senses of taste and smell. (Ever been around a pregnant woman?) Remember, historically, women used to be, almost exclusively, the ones preparing food, determining if an item was safe to eat, etc. It's great that more and more women are bringing those skills to the stills.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association