75 replies to this topic

#31 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

Shit. It would be attractive to me on a credit card too.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#32 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

From my personal experience I've gotten a better response to Vintage Herbsaint, and Herbsaint Original, among women, over most brands of commercial absinthe.

From me too, and I don't even wear shoes.

#33 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

Posted Image
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#34 Artemis

Artemis

Le Pape d'Absinthe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

Goth fairy, meh. But she reminds me a little of Noodle. I might wear shoes with Noodle on them.

#35 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

As Alan and other have pointed out, women are extremely important to the history of absinthe.

But don't let that discount the great women involved in absinthe today as well. I know a woman or two whose products are amazing! Not to mention a blogger out of Denver with a taste for good absinthe and some lady in France who dubbed herself the "Queen of Absinthe" but I can't remember who that ego driven one was exactly.

Maybe pointing this stuff out to newbie women might ease them in to the absinthe world?

More women involved in absinthe can only be a good thing. No credit cards needed.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#36 optional

optional

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

Women tend to be rather careful about what alcohol they drink, and they're much more worried about losing control. Therefore, they don't trust spirits with an high level of alcohol.

Absinthe shouldn't be any different than drinking a glass of wine, and I know plenty of women who have no problem splitting a bottle or two of wine with a friend. Maybe it's because of the college culture in the cities surrounding this area, but the women here don't cautiously drink ANYTHING.

The first thing people see when introduced to absinthe is the big '68%' or so of alcohol in the bottle. Even after I explain that I dilute it with water, they still seem hesitant. If it were a guy, they'd be more inclined to at least try it on average do to the whole 'macho' factor. That being said, I have encountered the occasional ass that wants to do flaming shots of my Jade or whatever I'm sharing at the time.

They get shut the fuck down.

One woman in particular was a licorice-hater, but I got the sense that she was merely averse to the taste of cheap, black licorice candies, which is worlds away from the complexity of quality absinthe. Since the anise was the only familiar flavor in the absinthe, that's what she focused on.

I actually didn't think I'd like absinthe before trying it because of that. I hate those licorice crap candies.

Also, check out this artisanal, hand-crafted bottle:

Posted Image

I vote the WWS start a legal fund against the misrepresentation of absinthe by scammers on the internet. Sue those bastards!

#37 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

I agree!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#38 Coralyne

Coralyne

Newcomer

• Bronze Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

This thread amuses me, only because I see it so often in the context of my more usual Internet haunts (science and science-fiction and technology-oriented fora), i.e., "There are too few women interested in [X]! How do we get more women interested in [X]?" As an EE (electrical engineer) of the female variety I get this question a lot about engineering, too, and honestly whatever the subject my answer is the same: "we're all different, and there's really nothing you can do to attract an entire gender to a given thing or area".

Meanwhile, I still see a fair number of people still claiming "well, we need to make [X] PINK, of course!" Which never really works and just insults people, especially those of us who look horrible in pink. :P

All that aside...this is obviously just a single anecdata-point, but personally I got interested in absinthe for several reasons (1) its fascinating history, (2) the nifty science-experiment nature of its traditional preparation, and (3) descriptions of what it tasted like. Ultimately it was #3 that got me to try it out because I basically went, "hey, wait...it tastes like anise and spices and is kind of bitter? YUM!"

So if you were going to try and appeal more to females like me specifically, I'd say "wider proliferation of accurate information about the tastes and qualities of absinthe" would work well. But there are a lot of different motivations a person might have regardless of the nature of their, er, equipment and I can only speak on my own behalf. And overall, I think absinthe is always liable to be polarizing to an extent for reasons that have little to do with gender and much to do with the fact that for whatever reason, strong anise flavors tend to be polarizing (albeit to a degree that can vary between cultures).

But all *that* aside, the one exception to my "gender isn't the issue" assertions is the matter of alcohol content. I suspect you're right that more women than men are liable to shy away from strong spirits, but I don't think the answer to this is to change the drink, but rather to make is clear that absinthe isn't the sort of think you want to drink really fast or without water, etc. I was a bit nervous myself that I would end up making myself horrendously drunk without even realizing it until it was too late, but that thankfully didn't happen, and the drink was much better for being savored anyway.

...so, anyway, that's my take, hopefully it's a useful one.

#39 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:47 AM

Women tend to be rather careful about what alcohol they drink, and they're much more worried about losing control. Therefore, they don't trust spirits with an high level of alcohol.

Absinthe shouldn't be any different than drinking a glass of wine...

The first thing people see when introduced to absinthe is the big '68%' or so of alcohol in the bottle. Even after I explain that I dilute it with water, they still seem hesitant.

Like my mother! Not to drink it herself, but she's convinced I've become some sort of incorrigible lush because she "read somewhere" how strong it is. On my last visit with her I had to explain about six times (and not very politely) how I dilute it with 4 parts water AND I add ice AND I usually drink no more than two. She got that same look on her face that she did when I was in high school promising that I would be home no later than midnight. Well... at least back then she had good reason to doubt...
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#40 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

On my last visit with her I had to explain about six times (and not very politely) how I dilute it with 4 parts water AND I add ice AND I usually drink no more than two.

Next visit, take a notebook and have her write this sentence until she finally "gets it".

If that won't work, avoid the subject when conversing with her. I have to do that with some folks that can't grasp the whole dilution business.

Keep the love, lose the subject.

Peace and harmony are our goals......at least, they are my goals. :wave2:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#41 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

"We're all different, and there's really nothing you can do to attract an entire gender to a given thing or area".

:cheers: I agree. Often the within-group variation is assumed to be less than the between-group variation, when in fact the opposite is true.

This discussion makes me want to re-read Carol Tavris' The Mismeasure of Woman. One of the biggest points this book (and the Psychology of Women class I read it in) made to me is that where sex and gender are concerned, people often focus on supposed differences that truly are not borne out by the literature, and ignore other big sources of difference that should be addressed but are not.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#42 Miriam

Miriam

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:37 AM

Image is very important, as to what people might be thinking before they try absinthe.

As a test, just put in one word in google, and "search by image".
Here is what you get, compare:
Whiskey

Vodka

ABSINTHE

So, that gives an idea of the prevailing image that absinthe has at the moment.

Thanks, this experiment did really show the difference! But this brings us to the point of discussing, whether it is still appropriate in this day and age, to use the absinthe history and green fairy for promoting it. I mean, both whiskey and vodka have a history as well (certainly not as interesting as absinthe) but from the google image search, you can tell that neither the whiskey nor the vodka branding is using history as their selling point, simply the look and the idea of the taste of the drink. The problem with going on about history and prestige is, that it is looked at as old-fashioned and outdated at times. It's the same with Gin, it is becoming more popular again, but I had some friends in Britain that couldn't understand when I drank Gin, they threw all of the common prejudices at me; it's for old women; it makes you depressed; you're gonna end up alone with a cat ( :D )

I will point out that I believe all of the above are due to social roles, opportunities/limitations conferred by roles and expectations (both internal and external), and not due to biological or inherent differences between men and women. I think if given equal opportunity, permission to enjoy, and exposure without fear/judgment, there wouldn't be much difference between the percentages of men and women who enjoy and appreciate absinthe.

Good point! Thanks Judy!

Perhaps the best way to introduce absinthe to women would be through a mixed drink or cocktail, let them experience the unique taste and then explore absinthe more on its own. I think the same is true of men as well. Ask most guys about whiskey, and they may order a, "Jack and Coke". Later, if they like whiskey, they may move on to a single barrel malt. I think most people ease into things, and if they like it, explore it further.

Greg, I think you're right, one will have to find a way to introduce it to women who are the wine-drinking-and-cocktails type - and I think it's a good idea to do so with a cocktail. Although I think it's a great idea, I'm not sure whether these women would actually fall in love with the taste of just dilluted absinthe, not mixed with sugary juices or anything they found in that cocktail. It's definitely a good starting point. Hmmm....

#43 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:15 AM

The way I introduce absinthe to all my friends, women and men, is to give them a taste of several different brands prepared with the drip, but then I make them my favorite absinthe drink, what I call absinthe punch but what some on this forum have called the Green Beast: absinthe diluted with water (sometimes seltzer) with simple syrup, lime juice, slices of cucumber and ice. It's very refreshing and tasty and light, and my women friends in particular love it. So yes, maybe a light mixed drink like that appeals to women more than just the drip.

#44 Strange Botwin

Strange Botwin

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

Did I luck out then? Meh...My wife is all about absinthe lately. I seem to recall the ladies in "The Sun Also Rises" enjoying the fine drink over and over. There's a reason they are termed " the fairer sex."
I voluntarily inflicted a certain level of insanity on myself - Jonathan Franzen

#45 Grim

Grim

Distiller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Great responses thus far, and I have very little to add that is even nearly so informative or interesting, but I can say that this discussion brings me back to the thought of Crême d'Absinthe - which meets nearly all the criteria that I've seen posited so far: a more approachable degree (with respect to strength), a more liqueur-like sweetening/mellowing regimen, and the same characteristic herbs that make absinthe great. I've seen no distillery do it so well this far (but I recall a certain Midwestern artist dabbling with it with success).

Have someone make it for you, Miriam. It might be a fresh idea.
Leave it to me as I find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...
Guaranteed...

#46 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

That got my attention.

#47 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

How many wimmins-libbers does it take to change a light bulb? :laf:

not funny :thumbdown:

Fixed.

(I couldn't find an "irony" font.)

The primary symbol for absinthe, the Green Fairy, is always shown as being female. Would having a male fairy help with any romantic notions?

Only with misguided fag hags.

(There is no PC term for "fag hag")

Image is very important, as to what people might be thinking before they try absinthe.

As a test, just put in one word in google, and "search by image".
Here is what you get, compare:
Whiskey

Vodka

ABSINTHE

So, that gives an idea of the prevailing image that absinthe has at the moment.

That's just sad. I can't believe how amateurish and substandard most absinthe marketing art is.

Holy crap, what kind of women do you guys know?

Hookers?

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#48 RadarGreg

RadarGreg

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

Now wait just a second, Mr. Stone. I did not post anything about women libbers or make any personal attacks. Quoting and changing what I said it the post is only going to get more hate thrown at me for something I did not say or post. My post, which some regarded as humorous and some did not, was meant to show that often a bribe or offer of material gain is the best way to get someone to do something you want. Have you ever offered a small child a piece of candy or a toy for taking their medicine?

Crow and Ambear didn't think the joke was funny, but I now know the price of Ambear's soul is a pair of Italian shoes. Or at least what it takes to get a :thumbup: from her.
I like my absinthe like my women; bitter and intoxicating.

#49 Miriam

Miriam

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:08 AM

I found it funny - stereotypical, and prejudiced maybe. But I laughed when I read it, so I believe it was a good joke. One shouldn't take anything and especially themselves too serious.

#50 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,995 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:10 AM

Right you are, how foolish to take myself seriously. :cheers:

Jules and I had our first fauxsinth together. We had our first real absinthe together and developed our appreciation together. Our interest in absinthe grew together and we developed our own absinthe together. Now, we make absinthe together.

It never occurred to me that absinthe wouldn't be just as appealing to a woman as it is a man.

#51 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

She lets you in the distillery? ;)

#52 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,995 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:56 AM

Only when I'm very bad. :devil:

"There was a little girl who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead;
When she was good, she was very, very good,
And when she was bad she was wonderful."

#53 Miriam

Miriam

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

Jules and I had our first fauxsinth together. We had our first real absinthe together and developed our appreciation together. Our interest in absinthe grew together and we developed our own absinthe together. Now, we make absinthe together.

Joe, that's such a lovely story!

#54 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,995 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

Oh, she's as good as gold, no question. As it works, she's also my best friend. :heart:

#55 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

Now wait just a second, Mr. Stone. I did not post anything about women libbers or make any personal attacks. Quoting and changing what I said it the post is only going to get more hate thrown at me for something I did not say or post.

Nah, it won't. It's what we do sometimes. I was merely poking a little fun at your non-PC humor, which I followed up with some of my own non-PC humor. Your post and crow's response just reminded me of an old joke:

Question: How many feminists does it take to change a light bulb?
Answer 1: That's not funny, it's demeaning.
Answer 2: Four. One to change the bulb, and three to write about how the bulb is exploiting the socket.
Answer 3: Two. One to change the lightbulb, and one to explain how they don't need men to change it.
Answer 4: Five. One to declare that the bulb violated the socket, one to secretly wish she was the socket, one to secretly wish she was the bulb, one to do it all by herself, and one to say "that's not funny!"

But I did rather enjoy making you say "wimmins-libbers", which has a built-in irony all its own.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#56 E Bien

E Bien

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

Jules and I had our first fauxsinth together. We had our first real absinthe together and developed our appreciation together.

That's pretty much how it happened for my wife and I as well. She tends to like her drink a little sweeter, I mix mine a little hotter, but we tend to have similar taste (not sure if that's a bug or a feature: on the one hand, I'm rarely scolded for excessive spending on good booze; on the other, all my favorite bottles seem to disappear twice as fast). :drunk:

#57 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

Ok, slight derailment and you can have the thread back. :wave2:

I struggle with being PC. I try so hard sometimes and it taxes my tiny little man brain. :)

Off color humor is just that.

Throw in a little religion or politcs and I'm out. Won't play.

I love women, all of them. My wife gets the brunt of many of my jokes. I always pay later. ;)

I love humans all together, well, I tolerate politicians. *shudder*

My Precious has sipped absinthe a dozen times or so over the last few years. Maybe twice a year. She has enjoyed a few drinks that included absinthe and I make some now an again. She made a bitter beer face the first time she sipped pre ban!!!!! It was like a dagger in my eye.

In my world, women drink either whisk(e)y, wine or lite beers.

I know very few that stray from what they enjoy. It's their comfort zone or happy place booze. Most don't like change or people pushing change on them. Men are the same in some of those ways.

Here, drink this milky looking herbal liquor! No, I mean hell no. Get that shit away from me.

This is why I'm limited to such short posts. Run with it Absomphe.

And I ramble on and on and make me stop.....please.....I'm begging! :cheers:

#58 Coralyne

Coralyne

Newcomer

• Bronze Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

It never occurred to me that absinthe wouldn't be just as appealing to a woman as it is a man.

Me neither, until I saw this thread.

And as far as the US market goes, it really does seem like lots of people don't even realize they can get it here. Men and women alike.

Case in point: last Sunday I made absinthe-cardamom sugar cookies (basically using an anise cookie recipe but substituting absinthe for anise extract) and brought them into work yesterday to share.

Everyone who tried them liked them, but several folks were shocked to learn what was in them. The receptionist said something like, "Where the HECK did you get absinthe??" and I have a feeling it was a bit anticlimactic when I answered, "Um...BevMo?" rather than "I traded a sack of doubloons for it in France and then, disguised as a stevedore, smuggled it back over on a cargo boat." :pirate:

#59 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

More women involved in absinthe can only be a good thing.

purty much. My wife actually likes absinthe, just not nearly as much as my nerdy obsessed self. She's a "special occasion" drinker, I am a "it's a nice day and I'm off work" kinda drinker. I've can think of several women right off the bat who like it quite a bit, although one of them quit drinking a couple years ago. She still has a bottle of PF 1901 I gave her for not dying in a motorcycle accident.

My wife gets the brunt of many of my jokes. I always pay later. ;)

yup. :secret2:
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#60 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,722 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

I love women, all of them.

Damn, I knew you were actually Chuck Norris, you old stud! :laugh: :worshippy:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association