Sign in to follow this  
optional

Tarragona

I'm considering buying a sample of PF Tarragona. Just wondering if you guys think it's worth it to try or not. Outside of Brian's Belgian, I haven't had a vintage absinthe.

It's obviously not cheap, but I am a bit curious. I've been also looking for a pre-ban PF sample, but I haven't found one yet.

The PF Tarragona I have had (mid-1950s) is exceptional. In all honesty, I liked it better than the PF 1914 I had. The PF 1914 was elegant and very good, but a bit TOO subtle for my tastes (and it wasn't over-watered). The PF Tarragona was fairly bold and very tasty. I recommend it, especially at the price you can get it for these days.

Honestly, it's pretty cheap comparatively. I think the Tarrgona I had was one of the earlier decades and it was awesome.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Tarragona 1950 sample I had. While the brown PF1910 and green PF1914 had more nuances and seemingly infinite flavors across the spectrum from high to low, the Tarragona certainly captures the amazing fragrance and floral components in the high end. It definitely gives you a good idea as to why Pernod Fils became legendary.

I've not had the mystery Belgian, but based on the incoming Belgian reviews, the Tarragona will be a very different and wonderful experience for you.

Edited by Green Baron

I've not had the mystery Belgian

That can be arranged, mon ami! Assuming you're talking about absinthe, that is!

I often consider PF Tarragona to be the best quality/price ratio on both the vintage and modern market.

Whatever the year, they are extraordinary products, often not too expensive for the quality, and usually far better than the average pre-ban absinthe (warning : I include ALL type of brands in this statement, not only PF or EP, etc)

For the true absinthe lover, my best advice would be to save a few hundred bucks, and wait for a cache to appear. With the correct network, a bit of luck, you can find a full 1L bottle for less than 600€ (+ shipping) (I have two liters :) )

With the correct network, a bit of luck, you can find a full 1L bottle for less than 600€ (+ shipping) (I have two liters :) )

I agree that Tarragona is a great 'starter' for vintage absinthe. But I've been amazed at the huge price swing of the product over the past few years. Back in 2008, I was buying bottles for $300-$400. Now, it's rare for a bottle to be offered for less than $1000.

I understand the idea of supply and demand. However, even though demand has certainly surged, so has the amount of known product on the market. In 2008, it was a surprise to see more than a small handful of bottles come to market throughout the year. I think I've seen close to two dozen or more come to market over the past 12 months. Heck, VdF is even offering free samples with purchases of a certain amount.

With the amount on the market, I'd expect prices to have fallen, not doubled/tripled.

But I guess that's where the consumers need to be better informed. I can't fault a seller for maximizing profit if they are getting the buyers.

Are we talking of this 300$ bottle ?

http://www.alandia.de/absinthe/product_inf...a---SOLD--.html

Oups, missing a 0 :hysterical2:

Seriously though... On my part I tend to think the opposite... That prices have dropped down since 2008... Strange

Anyway, here in France, the average "restricted collector market"/"ebay market" price is 600 for a 40s to 70s full bottle. I have seen it go down to 400 when caches were found lately (mainly the barcelona cache last year).

Somehow we agree : from 300 to 1000, average 600, depends on who you know at what time, and where you bid.

Therefore, my advice : gather 600+shipping

But I guess that's where the consumers need to be better informed. I can't fault a seller for maximizing profit if they are getting the buyers.

True. I'd put the price to both the product (vintage absinthe) + service (networking+bidding+stock buying+certification, etc). When you buy without going trough a reputed seller such as Oxygenee LTD, you have to

- find the market

- take the shipping risk

- take the content risk (ie : if your $600 bottle does not contain absinthe, up yours).

Therefore, overall... Do they make THAT MUCH profit ? I am not quite sure...

Edited by Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Well, they certainly aren't buying them from the source at a price that's anywhere near what they resell it for. But again, as I said, that's the business, so you can't fault them.

Prices have certainly not dropped in my eyes, based on the offers I see coming through. The most recent being a lot of 6 bottles that were selling for $1,600 per bottle...

As for the price recommendation, I'd be OK with with buying a bottle at $600. But I'd be hard pressed to buy one at 600€, just because of my previous buying experiences. It's tough to keep buying the same thing at substantially higher prices.

I was very very lucky to find a nice 1950s Tarragona a few months ago for just under $600. I'm under no illusions that lightning will strike twice anytime soon, so I'm drinking it slowly.

It's really worth getting a sample, just to see what this stuff tasted like. I'd say it's just as important as sampling a couple of pre-bans for anyone serious about learning and experiencing absinthe's history. Heck, the samples are about the same price as a bottle of modern absinthe, so even if money's tight, you can go in with a friend, as each sample is typically enough for two medium to small glasses.

Edited by Scott M.

That's the only way I'll ever be able to do it. Split the cost with a friend. Anyone want to be my friend?

Edited by greytail

I've bought about ~7 bottles of absinthe in the past two weeks along with butt tons of fountain pens and ink. I'm tapped out for a while. Even then, I don't think I could blow that much dough for a bottle.

MADNESS

I've been using a fountain pen for about nine months. I'm working on my penmanship poor letter writing so I can improve my grammar and punctuation.

Ok, back to Tarragona. Yes, there are some decent ones available. :)

I used to think that way about three years ago. Back before I had developed an obsession with absinthe and a much thinner wallet...