Sign in to follow this  
Todd

8 months In the closet...

hello everyone. my name is Todd and I have been an unseen guest about this forum for about 8 months now. I ran across the website when I first started researching absinthe. When I bought my first bottle of Lucid I wasn't sure what I was getting into. My wife an I had seen Mr. Depp drinking it in his movie from hell. So she and I started looking into it.

For a short time there I couldn't stand the taste of it, especially with water. So I tried using the matrix on the main page for proper mixing and still found I couldn't truly enjoy my drink. Then I started looking about mixing it (I actually felt slightly ashamed about mixing it). I ran across a recipe by Ernest Hemingway called Death in the afternoon. I have to say it changed the way I perceive this drink. Absolutely love it. I have enjoyed reading the reviews and comments and the store recommendations all of you have provided. it has been a huge help.

sorry for grammar and or spelling writing this out on my cell phone. word of advice... don't let your teenage daughters text from your phone. you should see all the spelling recommendations I am receiving while typing this. :twitchsmile:

Hi; don't feel ashamed about mixing Lucid. There are fantastic cocktails out there that call for absinthe. There are also several brands that you may like prepared traditionally better than you liked Lucid. It's fun finding what you like; it's a shame that the process can be a drain on the wallet, though. Have fun!

Thanks, so far I have finished a bottle of Lucid and a bottle of VC. I'm ordering my first Jade Thursday. A bottle of N-O! I am still looking forward to my first 1901 as soon as it hits the US market.

Welcome and Cheers Todd! :cheers: Btw That's a strong Gaelic name, it means Fox! :biggrin: Hemingway is one of my idols, the true epitome of American Manliness and a legendary writer! A man after my heart! I too enjoy an Absinthe cocktail once in a while, I am partial to both the Death In The Afternoon and the Sazerac. Once you find your favorite brands you will be hard pressed deciding between the ritual or cocktails. :thumbup:

Edited by Cajun Magic

The Sazerac Is on my list to try. It Is a personal goal this new years to make a hemingway with pf 1901 and dom perignon. I just hope the 1901 hits US markets soon. :biggrin:

Nice to meet ya, from your Southerly neighbor. I'd say give the other American brands like Ridge, Pacifique and Walton Waters a try and you may find you like the taste just fine. And at about half the price of the N.O.

Edited by Songcatcher

Hello and welcome! :cheers:

It Is a personal goal this new years to make a hemingway with pf 1901 and dom perignon.

Yeah, that'd be ok. B)

Welcome! Mixing Lucid is an ok thing. Do branch out though.

The Sazerac Is on my list to try. It Is a personal goal this new years to make a hemingway with pf 1901 and dom perignon. I just hope the 1901 hits US markets soon. :biggrin:
I've done something similar, and it's a good idea.

Howdy Podner. :cheers:

If I had a bottle of Lucid I'd want to mix it with other things as well. :pirate:

This site has some excellent absinthe cocktail ideas. And if you're into root beer, throw a bit of lucid in a mug and see what happens. :twitchsmile:

The Obituary cocktail and Arsenic and Old Lace are two of my favorite absinthe cocktails. I substitute absinthe for pastis for the Arsenic and Old Lace.

:thumbup: I'm over come with excitement! my first jade product will arrive in about 4 days. ordered the Nouvelle Orleans and I have been just overwhelmed with champagne choices. the N-O is made with grape neutral spirits. lucid is made with beet and V C is made with grain. so I am very curious how a champagne will compliment the N-O.

feel like an 8 year old getting a new bike on Xmas. :yahoo:

Welcome. :wave2: I'm partial to a good DITA, and I've found that a slightly sweet style of sparkling makes the drink come alive for me. :cheers:

Welcome. :wave2: I'm partial to a good DITA, and I've found that a slightly sweet style of sparkling makes the drink come alive for me. :cheers:

hello and thank you, I too find the sweeter champagne and sparkling wines to be a great alternative to adding sugar. especially the ones with a slightly higher ABV. Here lately I have noticed that my taste is changing and am moving more away from the sugar. :wave2:

I agree that a naturally sweeter sparking is better than adding sugar/sweetener to a DITA. I wish I had one right now.

I plan on taking a picture of my first glass when my N-O arrives. I will probably go Into greater detail of my personal preperation ritual of my DITA. I will post It under what are you drinking tonight thread.

I've found that a slightly sweet style of sparkling makes the drink come alive for me. :cheers:

Along that note, I only like DITAS with Moscato D'Asti. :paperbag3:

There is nothing wrong w/that. I think more people would drink them if made with a sweeter style of sparkling. They are infinitely more tasty that way.

when I first started drinking them I stuck to some very dry champagne and added 2 cubes of sugar. then as I learned more about champagne. I would try sweeter ones and use no sugar or only 1 cube. I have also read that sweet wines tend to have a higher abv so you could look for a higher alcohol content to your champagne for your DITA.

Edited by Todd