Ava

Allow Myself to, er..um...Introduce Myself

Hi Ya’ll! I’m Ava, new to absinthe, new to the forum. I had my first absinthe a couple years back at a posh underground bar in New York City. To my surprise, it did not kill me or make me go mad. When I returned home I never sought out absinthe for my home bar. I assumed that I could not buy “real” absinthe in Virginia, just like I can’t buy real moonshine at the ABC stores. I came across the Wormwood Society whilst researching sources to buy a bottle of good absinthe. I'm now ready to take the plunge and buy a top shelf bottle, along with a really cool spoon. If you care to learn more about me, please read on…bullet points might be nice, lets see if I can insert them properly:

I’m a:

• Housewife and live near Richmond, Virginia
  • An owner/wrangler of three dogs: a greyhound, Chihuahua and a Chihuahua-wienie dog mutt… notice that I didn’t say “Mom” to three dogs, because that always sounds creepy
  • Foodie and spend too much time at farmers markets
  • Traveler, whenever I get a chance
  • Knitter, can often be found on Ravelry
  • Have developed an unfortunate intolerance to wine over the past few years, so cocktails are more important than ever

Thanks, Derrick, and OMG_Bill! Now I have my first newbie question. Why is my avatar not showing? I uploaded a picture, which is showing on my profile. Do I need to upload a separate picture for my avatar? If so, I don't see where to do so. Maybe the size is too big, or do I need to make a required amount of posts before I get an avatar?

Hello and welcome! :cheers:

I believe you need a certain amount of posts for the Avatar. Don't worry it's not many if memory serves me correctly.

I had my first absinthe a couple years back at a posh underground bar in New York City.
Oooh which one?

Welcome to the Forum! :cheers:

...I’m a:

• Housewife and live near Richmond, Virginia
  • Foodie and spend too much time at farmers markets
  • Traveler, whenever I get a chance
  • Have developed an unfortunate intolerance to wine over the past few years, so cocktails are more important than ever

There is a feller that occationally hangs around here that lives in the VA DC area and knows a thing or a million about absinthe, about gourmet food, and about cocktails.

Which fancy pants bar did I visit in NYC? Little Branch. It's at the corner of Seventh Avenue and Leroy Street. You’ll see a single red metal door with no sign:

little-branch.jpg

If things get crowded they'll post a bouncer outside. Once inside, you’ll go down a long, steep stairway to a basement, so arrive sober. Cash only, $15 drinks. Totally worth it. The bartender special is: you explain your favorite drink, then the bartender creates something different, but sure to be your next favorite.

Welcome to the Forum, Ava. :cheers:

Regarding your avatar, there is not a minimum number of posts. Go to the top of the page, below the WS banner and main info bar. Click on "My Controls." On the left side is a Menu. Look down the Menu for "Personal Profile" and under that for "Edit Avatar." There is a minimum size requirement which the software is suppose to edit for you but sometimes gets a little wonkie. If you are just a little computer astute, I would recommend editing the size yourself. After you upload your avatar, you may need to "refresh" your computer page before the avatar shows.

Sweet, I did it! I don't look green enough, though. I'm going back to photoshop some more Toulouse Lautrec green on my skin.

Hi Ava, welcome! What a great intro and I love your avatar.

If/when you go back to NYC, PM me and I'll let you know about some other great places to meet the green fairy. I've never been to Little Branch but have heard of it; I'll try to go next time I'm in the city (I go a lot).

Hi Ava, welcome! What a great intro and I love your avatar.

If/when you go back to NYC, PM me and I'll let you know about some other great places to meet the green fairy. I've never been to Little Branch but have heard of it; I'll try to go next time I'm in the city (I go a lot).

Thanks! Sounds like a plan, I'll let you know when I'm up your way.

Hey, Ava. I realize I do not need to point this out since you have already seen all the posts, but these are some friendly ass folks. I'm a newbie as well and was made to feel right at home. Welcome and enjoy the knowledge you are about to absorb from this forum. It's a fantastic resource. Cheers

Hello Ava,

I myself am very new to the forums. I have been working a lot since I applied, but hope to write a decent intro in the next day or two. The info I have found here has truly been eye opening and extremely helpful to me.

Welcome Ava! You are in good hands here if you are interested in Absinthe! By our powers combined we.... :g: ....well know quite a plethora about and take extreme interest in Absinthe! :cheers: