• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

Before I begin I must say that This is topic is in no way an insult to Belgian Ales! A beer Style which I love and appreciate.
I have noticed something in two Belgian Ales I have drank. The presence of brown globules floating about which then sunk at the bottom of the glass. I have noticed it in Delirium Tremens some years ago, it wasn't a problem then since it wasn't that prevalent in the beer. I then consumned it as usual and felt fine... It was somewhat strange but not troublesome.
Recently ,however, I had bought a 750 Ml bottle of Brugse Zot an award wining Belgian Pale Ale. I opened it today and poured it in my beer glass and saw the glass full of brown globules! Keep in mind I have drank other beers that were fermented in the bottle but never witnessed the globules floating around! Is it yeast or other residuals from the process I am curious! Why is it so prevalent in Belgian Ales. I respect the Belgians and know them to be world class beer brewers!

I just want some insight or any similar experiences. It seems off-putting to see things residually floating in my beer besides bubbles or a good head! The beer tasted okay I am just experiencing disequilibrium from a strange and unexpected occurance! :huh:

Edited by Cajun Magic, 05 August 2012 - 07:26 PM.

Laissez le bon temps rouler!
L' Huere Verte! C'est le bon temps!
Absinthe! Comme c'est la douceur de vivre!

#2 Strange Botwin

Strange Botwin

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

Probably just yeast. Nothing to worry about in an unfiltered or bottle conditioned beer. Some people drink down the sediment and some leave it at the end of a glass. I usually drink it down. If you're into Belgian Ales and like saisons and such you should check out Logsdon Farmhouse Ales from Oregon. These guys are killing it and you can order online now.
I voluntarily inflicted a certain level of insanity on myself - Jonathan Franzen

#3 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,668 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

Floating brown globules sound like more than just yeast.

Any beer I've ever tasted with those floaties seemed overly metalic and unpleasant tasting.

I'm sure they're probably perfectly harmless, but are certainly indicative of a beer that is way past its prime.

Personally, I'd sink it.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#4 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:09 PM

Thanks for the info SB I will continue to drink the sediments as I figuired that it was harmless! :twitchsmile: Absomphe I sank it in my mouth and lived to tell the tale twice! The beer tasted normal and smelled normal so whatevs, If the beer had a horrible smell or taste I would have sank it. I don't mess around when it comes to infectious or Bacteria filled things, along with expiration dates...

Edited by Cajun Magic, 05 August 2012 - 09:14 PM.

#5 Strange Botwin

Strange Botwin

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Floating brown globules sound like more than just yeast.

Any beer I've ever tasted with those floaties seemed overly metalic and unpleasant tasting.

I'm sure they're probably perfectly harmless, but are certainly indicative of a beer that is way past its prime.

Personally, I'd sink it.

If it was filtered, mass produced beer you would be right to sink it. Many of these Belgian styles tend to be filled with sediment and even yeast "globules," however.

Edited by Strange Botwin, 05 August 2012 - 08:17 PM.

I voluntarily inflicted a certain level of insanity on myself - Jonathan Franzen

#6 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

This has been an awesome short and sweet thread :thumbup: what we have learned is:
  • Brugse Zot in my case was the refermented in bottle one! Bottle conditioning, it is advertised quite humorously as living beer :biggrin:
  • floaties are general yeast/protein coagulations and are common in Bottle Conditioned beers and unfiltered beers. They may look ugly but are healthy and don't detract from the beer besides the mouthfeel!
  • If a beer is massproduced and filtered and has them in it maybe sink it. It may be bad..
  • Belgian Styles sometimes contain floaties nothing wrong with that..embrace the chunkie buddies or disregard them and let them be when settled at the bottom! :cheers: Keep calm and sip on!

Edited by Cajun Magic, 06 August 2012 - 06:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association