Sign in to follow this  
Strange Botwin

Big mistake on me

Spent the week in San Diego for a work training. Two of my great college friends live there so they took me out and showed me a great time. Wednesday night started with a couple of margaritas at the hotel, followed by a couple of Racer 5 IPAs, an Absolut Peppar oyster shot, a couple of Green Flash Hop Heads and finally some Anchor Liberty. Was feeling great at the last stop, definitely could tell it would be a rough morning. As we are getting ready to leave I notice a green fairy poster hanging in the corner and decide to ask the barkeep if he was holding. "Yep, we have Kübler" and some other absinthe which I had not heard of and cannot remember. I say, "pour us three please." He proceeds to bust out the fountain and stream water so fast that it melts the sugar cube in about 25 seconds. We sipped them down, not too impressed with the Kübler, and headed out. And then I learned a valuable lesson: it may not be a great idea to add absinthe as your final beverage after consuming about 10 other drinks. I awoke about six hours later still stumbling. Did not feel right until about 4PM the next day. Stupid drunken decision, but I wanted to share the experience with old friends who had never tried the drink. Oh well, live and learn I suppose.

And then I learned a valuable lesson: it may not be a great idea to add absinthe as your final beverage after consuming about 10 other drinks.

Well, it could have been worse .... I suggest you google Jean Lanfray.

And that may also illustrate to you that the problem lies in all those other drinks, not the absinthe.

At the recent absinthe festival in Switzerland, there were a few of us who were drinking absinthe all day. Most of the sore heads the following morning belonged to those who supplemented their absinthes with a few Belgium beers in the car park at the end of the evening.

DON'T BLAME THE ABSINTHE!

Oh, I'm not blaming the absinthe. I'm blaming my poor decision making in deciding to pour it on top of a bunch of high octane beer and some booze. Now that I am home I looking forward to finally popping a bottle of my own tomorrow and enjoying it all by itself.

Edited by Strange Botwin

As soon as I read that you'd started with a tequila-based drink, my eyebrow started to twitch. When you went to beer, then had a liquor-based shot before switching again back to beer... well, lemme tell you, the absinthe at the end was the least of your troubles! I'd cheers you, but you'd probably turn greener than a fine verte, so instead I'll just :wave2: and wish you a speedy recovery!

Call me a party pooper, but I think shots are just barbaric. Especially oyster shots.

When it comes to over-consumption, absinthe seems to be the least hangover-inducing of my favourite drinks. At least when I drink it without sugar. I think sugar has a lot to do with it. And just general dehydration.

Edited by thickasabrick

About four years ago a good friend of mine had a party.He wanted try absinthe so I brought some.He was drinking wine and lots of it,and wouldn't try the absinthe until he was pretty stiff on the stuff.As the two of us and his father started our second glass,my friend stood up, and fell face first,dead weight straight through the table! We got him in the house and his wife took it from there.He was down for the count and I said good night a little afterwards.His wife called me the next evening to tell me he :puke: :puke: :puke: all over the hallway and the bathroom,and had been in bed the whole day.Even though he continues to drink wine,he still won't go anywhere near a glass of absinthe. I tried to tell him........... :poke:

Edited by redwun

From my experience, having any anise spirits with other alcohol always messes you up more pr less. I'm not sure why, maybe it only makes you fancy a few glasses more (in your case, you fancied another last drink when you clearly shoudn't have).

Starting a party with a few glasses of absinthe and then switching to something else (or the other way around), diluting raki or Pernod with alcoholic mixers, drinking bunny hug – somehow you always end up more drunk than expected. I'm definitely okay with mixing booze, but anise makes me cautious.

I'm someone who loves absinthe (obviously!) but after some very bad experiences with ouzo and raki in my 20's I couldn't face anise-based drinks for nearly 10 years. Even the smell of pastis would have me reaching for the barf bag. In retrospect it probably wasn't the ouzo and raki per se, as much as the quantities thereof, the heat and the cold oily stuffed peppers that accompanied the drinking sessions...

Learned food (or in this case drink) aversions are hard to get over. Evolutionary psychologists believe it is due to the strong need to avoid anything a human (or animal) ingested that made them ill, as it could be poisonous. Mine is funnel cakes at my cousin's wedding when I was 10. I still shy away from them.

As for the hangover part, the nasty byproducts of your liver breaking down alcohol, drinks w/higher levels of congeners, dehydration, and vitamin depletion are all co-culprits. If you are going to drink, do so on a full stomach (to slow the movement of alcohol into the small intestine where it is absorbed and distributed into your blood stream); make sure you are pre-hydrated and continue to drink plenty of water along with your alcoholic beverages; take a multivitamin earlier in the day, and then a B complex at the end of the night; and put a glass of water and some aspirin by your night stand for the next morning, just in case.

Ahhh, this is why this is a great forum: such insightful comments. Shots are not tempting and this was no exception, but it was bought for me in the spirit of a reunion of old college friends. Another fatal flaw was not drinking water. I am a hoppy beer guy who usually involves plenty of water throughout the night due to the high volume of liquid being expelled as a result of drinking beer, but failed miserably on this particular eve. I am also a teacher who is up at 5AM during the year so I usually don't normally drink beer on weekdays and am looking forward to absinthe being a nice, relaxing cocktail during the week without threat of hangover. Some of the comments regarding absinthe as a good "start" and then mixing in other beverages after might be key for the nights when imbibing a little harder.

Not long ago I swam in L'arty, BC, and ale. Also drank plenty of water. I was nicely pickled, but I was far from wasted. I'm too old to get wasted (as in I refuse to do it). Felt pretty good the next night. At the end of the day, the amount of alcohol, the dehydration, and sugar seem to be what makes for a bad experience. My, in '89, worst experience involves champagne being used to cure a hangover, LOTS of $100/bottle bottle champagne. Or the night in '88 when I did everclear shots. That was bad too.

make sure you are pre-hydrated and continue to drink plenty of water along with your alcoholic beverages

Ya know i know this,.......and it's the very thing i forget to do sometimes.And sometimes w/not such pretty results the next day!

Make the last thing you drink on those ugly nights an Alka-Seltzer. Or a couple advil or excedrin. It works or has worked for me for years.

I had a similar experience with Ouzo in the 70's and just the thought of an anise tasting drink would turn my stomach. So, my first absinthe was sipped with extreme caution. It worked and I've not looked back since.

Drink Up!!

I'm right there with Alan on this one. I've gone hours drinking absinthe as well and only had problems after drinking a large cocktail at the end. In this case, I'm blaming the St. Germain...and it makes me woozy whenever I drink it now. It certainly didn't put me off absinthe though.

What the old timers told me long ago, and it works is, if you know you're gonna be drinking quite a bit have a half a glass of milk before you start. You won't get sick and you won't have a hangover later.

Like Ambear (and others) I found mixing absinthe with something else was the problem. At Nightjar I drank five absinthes and I felt fine. Was getting up to leave and some guys at the next table insisted we all have a glass of champagne. Well, I drank barely half the glass and realized my mistake, poured the rest of it out in the WC (would have been rude to just leave it sitting) and paid for it the next morning day.

Yeah,I've really over done it with absinthe a few times,but nothing a big strong mug of coffee with milk couldn't straighten out in the morning.I think the fact that i seldom if ever sugar my absinthe probably doesn't hurt the situation either.

Edited by redwun

Just wondering what people's opinions are on mixing it at all? I figure most nights will be stand alone absinthe nights, but I know there will be plenty of nights with guests over and beers will follow a couple of glasses. I know we are all different in how our bodies react, but some anecdotal evidence is always helpful. And experimenting...lots of experimenting.

I survived Ronapalooza. The next morning I was fairly introverted but not bad.

Only because there was no Tequila. Judy would've bounced me if there was Tequila involved.

Mixing Absinthe doesn't seem to be a problem for me, but everyone gets drunk differently. I suggest maybe trying it out on a night where you have only two or three drinks instead of ten. It would be much easier to isolate the mixing problem that way. As I'm looking at that list of drinks, I think I would've woken up in a holding cell, so good job on just having a rough night.

Just wondering what people's opinions are on mixing it at all?

I almost never make an absinthe after I've started drinking any other kind of alcohol, but admittedly, that's partly because I generally approach a night of drinking from "the top shelf, down". Absinthe is very refreshing and tends to energize me a bit as well, so those are other reasons why I like to start with it.

I've done absinthe to whiskey, absinthe to beer, absinthe to wine, and even absinthe to whiskey to wine to beer, and never had a problem unless I've gone from absinthe to beer/wine and then back again to hard alcohol - that's about a 50/50 shot at not feeling great in the morning. On average, I'll drink one 8 oz glass of water for every 3 servings of alcohol and not have any hangover symptoms.

Yeah,I've really over done it with absinthe a few times,

Well, my point was I have NEVER overdone it with just absinthe, and I can think of at about four occasions I've had at least five and felt fine in the morning. It was only when I followed a night of absinthe with a half glass of champagne that I had a problem, so I have to blame the champagne....

I survived Ronapalooza. The next morning I was fairly introverted but not bad.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with me letting you sleep until after 11, and stuffing you full of coffee, banana and hard-boiled eggs once you finally woke up. :laugh: