Sign in to follow this  
American Dad

Rock Sugar + Absinthe?

Has anyone tried using German rock sugar in lieu of sugar cubes? Given that it takes longer to dissolve than a sugar cube, I'm assuming you can just drop it into the drink.

Anyone?

Hi Dad! I've never heard of German Rock Sugar.
My wife got some at Teavana. It looks like a good substitute for sugar cubes that leave a disgusting pile of sugar at the bottom of my Yvonne glass.

Hey American Dad, let us know how that works.

And please, head over to the newcomers section and start an introduction thread. :cheers:

I looked up the brand you mentioned, so we are sure what you are talking about:

This?

Never tried it myself, but my philosophy is have fun, experiment, play with your booze, and do whatever works for you. Try it! :twitchsmile:

Another way to avoid sugar residue is to use a liquid sweeter like a gomme or syrup, homemade or store bought.

I looked up the brand you mentioned, so we are sure what you are talking about:

This?

Never tried it myself, but my philosophy is have fun, experiment, play with your booze, and do whatever works for you. Try it! :twitchsmile:

Another way to avoid sugar residue is to use a liquid sweeter like a gomme or syrup, homemade or store bought.

Yep, that's the stuff. German rock sugar is supposedly good for tea b/c it doesn't alter the flavor (which sounds like a bonus for absinthe).

Personally, I enjoy the flavor of absinthe on its own without sugar, but guests like it sweetened.

If I went the gomme syrup route, how much would you recommend per serving of absinthe? 1 tsp? Less?

Sounds like it was prized because in Europe most sugar comes from beets, sugar cane not being friendly to northern climes. But in the US the better tasting cane sugar is far more common.

Drop it into the drink AFTER louching, neat absinthe seems to make it harder to dissolve.

Sugar cane agriculture has dropped dramatically in the USA in recent decades. Apparently corn is cheaper and more reliable source of sweetness.

Trial and error

the good thing about absinthe is that is adjustable. Start out with a little, and you can always add more.

but always allow the drinker to sweeten the drink to their own taste.

[snip] But in the US the better tasting cane sugar is far more common. [snip]

You might be unpleasantly surprised. Here are two stats of note: "By 2010, 95 percent of the sugar beets grown in the U.S. were Monsanto’s genetically modified variety. This matters to us all because about 50 percent of white sugar sold here is made from sugar beets."

I don't think absinthe sugar should be burned, but as for the hair on Monsanto executives' heads...

But I digress ™

Anyway, I still like agave syrup (in particular for younger absinthes that need a little taming) or classic sugar and simple syrup made from sugar. Non-GMO, don't you know.

Anyway, I still like agave syrup (in particular for younger absinthes that need a little taming)

Hell yes! Thank you Jay! :cheers: