Sign in to follow this  
dBunneh

German video on how Absinthe is made

Just a quick note: this is Swiss German. It is very hard to understand for anyone who is not familiar with it (mostly anybody outside of Switzerland). I am a native German speaker and had a hard time understanding everything.

Concerning the pronunciation: This is what the French word “absinthe“ sounds like when pronounced by someone with a heavy Swiss accent.

The Standard German pronunciation would be ub-SINT (stress on the second syllable).

Anyways, nice find.

For some reason I always imagined that Oliver Matter's distillery was much larger than that space.

It is actually pretty big. Quite a few stills on the distillery floor. And the building is four stories tall. But most distillers will tell you the space they need for the distilling is much smaller than the space they need for storage! There are photos in my Fete de l'absinthe album.

It's always fun to see how different distillers do their processes.

At 1:07: true microdistillery craftsmanship! I did that just a couple weeks ago and got a snoot-full of Marteau.

At that same distillery, three weeks ago, someone accidentally drank a rather large dose of the Brut d'alambic whilst performing that technique. Many laughs were had as he became inebriated as a result.