tattooed_medic

Greetings everyone. My long trip to my first absinthe bottle

I think there was a misunderstanding. Im not buying over seas because I think its "more" real then US sold. Besides isnt most of the US sold stuff from Europe anyway?

I already have 3 US Sold brands. For me its that little something special when that bottle arrives. Knowing I've spend months (on and off) checking websites, and recently day after day reading, all to make a sound first purchase. Then finally picking some choice bottles, placing the order, and waiting weeks for it to arrive. Then finally opening a bottle straight for a store in Germany that made a long trip to my front door.

Now come on guys.. Dont you think that adds a little something? Instead of running a mile down the road to buy a bottle and done.

Pere Ubu and Ron : Ah dont shake your heads at that.. If you really wanted to shake your heads at something, it should be on how i've been choosing the brands I've bought so far. But i wont post that info for fear some of you will show up with torches and pitch forks :cheers:

"Ordering overseas is great and I do it often, but I do recommend you forget about the thujone content and give some US-made and US-available brands a try too."

Thank you Crow.. now that ive gotten my first EUR order out of my system it will be awhile before i do this again. So definitely having some new US brands to try is a plus.

The review section is your friend. It has been mine.

what I like about CC is they don't have a single crappy brand, both usa and european.

Now come on guys.. Dont you think that adds a little something? Instead of running a mile down the road to buy a bottle and done.
Oh heck yeah! We were all very excited when the overseas delivery arrived safe and sound to our front door. It was very exciting! Eventually, the excitement worn thin along with the crazy shipping charges. Then, it became even more exciting to order within the US or better yet, when you finally saw a high quality absinthe on your liquor store shelves. That was the best with only one exception: The first time you saw your very own absinthe on the liquor store shelves. That was really awesome. :wave2:

I think the ultimate excitement is to go to an actual distiller, see how it is made and the care and craft put into each bottle, and then walk out with a bottle or two. Or case.

I think there was a misunderstanding. Im not buying over seas because I think its "more" real then US sold. Besides isnt most of the US sold stuff from Europe anyway?

Yes a lot of it is European, but your absinthe journey simply MUST include visits with Ridge V, Pacifique, and Meadow of Love. That's my opinion, but I'm guessing most people here will agree... and will add a couple more American made brands to that list.

Edited by crow

Greg I agree. I havent mentioned it to the gf yet. Because she will just shake her head. I recently saw a video of it being distilled from a post on this site. Would def love to see it being done in person.

JOE: The excitement of my first over seas shipment has turned into worry. I tracked it just fine through Germany. It hit Miami Florida at 9:55am Sunday. It then came "OUT" of US Customs at 10:55am Sunday. I thought great. I should have it tuesday. Miami is only 4 hours away.

Well coming out of customs at 10:55am Sunday was where my package stopped. Its now Thursday 11:30pm. No package. And it hasnt been scanned a single time in 4 days as having gone anywhere.

It shouldnt take 4 days to go 4 hours. There are some drunk custom agents somewhere in miami right now.

Would def love to see it being done in person.
Stop by. We'll have a drink. ;)
It shouldnt take 4 days to go 4 hours.
Yeah, they do that shit just to prolong the excitement. Like when the roller coaster gets to the very top...before it plunges you to...what? Excitement, death or total disappointment? :shock:

Um, sometimes I am given to hyperbole. Sorry.

Joe: Well I wish they wouldnt. I was just telling Grey in a PM message, I havent had one good nights sleep since Monday. I sleep during the day and work nights.. So I posted a note on my door telling the USPS guy if he takes the time to call my cell phone to wake me up and sign for the package there is a $10 tip for him.

Ive been sleeping so lightly these last few days if i hear a vehicle out side my house I perk up.. Expecting a knock on my door. Once the excitement of this first order is over it wont be a big deal. But you know. Its like christmas. waiting and waiting for Santa. Who would of thought at this age Id be waiting for the Green Fairy.

Greg

it hasnt been scanned a single time in 4 days as having gone anywhere.

It shouldnt take 4 days to go 4 hours. There are some drunk custom agents somewhere in miami right now.

Same thing happened to me. I don't know why that happens, it doesn't happen when I order from LDF. The tracking shows no movement, then suddenly it's delivered.

You're wrong about one thing: it doesn't matter how many times you've ordered... getting that package is ALWAYS exciting! :cheers:

If you've ordered from the right folks, everything will work out just fine. The booze will show up or the vendor will take care of you. No worries at all for me.

We all want next day service. :)

More than likely DHL is being used. Once it hits US shores and clears customs it then is turned over to the USPS. There lies the problem. I have no doubt you'll get your order one way or another.

Myself? I have had two recent packages LOST via usps and a third package arrived to me damaged with the contents destroyed. Either some funny business is going on or there is some other explanation. Let us know the outcome.

Edited by greytail

**I have to stop posting this stuff at work. I am to bored and these get to long**

IT ARRIVED! Saturday at 2pm. The USPS guy called my cell phone to wake me up per my note on the door. He wouldnt take the $10 tip though.

For the heck of it I checked the tracking number, box in hand. Still showing in Miami. So I guess now I know. German mail Great. US mail. not so great.

Sadly I had to go back to sleep. just to wake up and head to work 2 hours later. I figure my next day off is Aug 10th. I will try one in 6 days. Well......... That didnt last long.

Monday morning, off shift sitting home at 8am, didnt have to be asleep till noon. hmm 4 hours.. I figured the Nouvelle Vague i could try first. Bigger bottle.

WOW! so now I know why people call Lucid a beginner absinthe. Honestly Mansinthe and Lucid almost taste the same to me. I always imagined absinthe very strong and almost harsh. I was shocked Lucid tasted like liquid candy and went down so easy. Nouvelle Vague however. Geez!! That stuff tastes like I would expect absinthe to taste like.

First I was kinda taken back by the color. Im used to seeing a dingy translucent green. This stuff is like a bright greenish blue. Like mouthwash. I measured out 1.5 ounces as I wasnt sure where that would come to on the new absinthe glasses I got. It came way above the bubble. And apparently according to the bottle you should use only 1oz.

For some reason it didnt louche till I was almost done pouring. Then the taste.. ugh.. I couldnt review a absinthe like the experts . But honestly the best way to describe it was like a rubber boot. a very very different experience. I actually looked up the review here. Maybe its the citrus im tasting as described , or maybe for the fact this is what it means when it says "bitter spiritus" on the bottle.

Needless to say. WIth every sip it got better and better. And I now know what people mean by a lucid drunk. Mansinthe and Lucid just seemed like plain alcohol. Im a light weight apparently. Just one glass of this and I was sprawled out on my couch watching TV. limbs feeling to heavy to move. But I remember thinking to myself. HAve I blinked my eyes once in the last 20 min? My eyes felt wide open, like either my eye lids were surgically removed or they were being held open with eye speculum clamps you would see in a horror movie (Clockwork Orange) or if you were getting lasik eye surgery. Mentally I felt wired, physically i didnt want to move.

Once the alertness faded I passed right out and slept like a baby. all and all... Love it!!!

definitely an acquired taste. Friday I plan on trying Brevans H.R. Giger Absinthe.

I assume the taste will be similar as that is labeled as Bitter too.

EDIT: I forgot to order Sirop de Gomme from absinthe.de. as I read you should add some to this adsinthe. What can I buy from my local liquor store that would accomplish the same thing?

Edited by tattooed_medic

I take back my comment on this absinthe. I guess you just have to be more careful with a bitter on how you mix it. Drinking another glass this morning. This time just 1 ounce instead of 1.5 absinthe. Also more like a ratio of 4:1 instead of 3:1. and about 1 hour before i made this glass I made a batch of simple syrup 2 parts sugar 1 part water, boil. let stand. then bottle. I used some in this glass. Wow. big difference in taste. Went from reminding me of a rubber boot to a smooth but spicy taste. No harshness anymore. Really great!

From what I can tell, the Vague is fairly non-traditional as far as absinthes go, while still being well made. The Giger will be a bit more traditional (so I doubt it will have too similar of a flavor as the Vague), but definitely should be tasty nonetheless.

I also loooooove the research and planing, and cross checking and decision making, and spend weeks on it. Bit of a let down once it's over and the stuff is ordered. Have therefore, instituted a monthly purchase, so it can start all over again.

I personally would love to try some US absinthe. But, it's too bloody hard to get. Have, so far, ordered from 3 places including drink up NY, and two of the MOL distributors ... who all cancelled my order because they don't deliver to Nevada. sigh

Absinthe dot com has free shipping (my favorite price) and doesn't seem to have any problems delivering anything I order in 8-10 days. So, no USA brands for me, unless someone wants to send me a gift???

Jo

Edited by JoPatterson

[...] And is it really a rip off to buy a absinthe claiming high thujone?

[...]

Welcome to the intriguing world of absinthe!

:cheers:

About thujone in marketing:

You'll certainly be completely dead long before you can feel the slightest of any sort of thujone "effect". That's at least my view on it, without me being a chemist nor a pharmacist. So any marketing using claims of high thujone level is in my opinion only rubbish/crap/bullsh*t! They simply want you as a customers to believe that you can get "high" on absinthe.

(I get high on booze/alcohol from time to time and that's just enough for me. :mbanana:)

Welcome! Being new here myself (and new to drinking absinthe) I really enjoyed reading this thread. Learned some interesting and helpful things, but also am a little worried since Alandia got shitted on and that's where I just made my first purchase. Grrr...