tattooed_medic

Greetings everyone. My long trip to my first absinthe bottle

Hey everyone. Anthony from Florida here. Jersey born. New to Absinthe.

My history behind it... Probably a long read... But If Anyone wanted to skip my journey and maybe just help with a question or two. I will put the questions on the very bottom separated by ********

Here we go:

Saw it in movies in early 2000 and was fascinated. Found out what it was and that it cant even be bought in the US.. Many years later out of no where I got the urge to try it again. Randomly walked into a liquor store. Asked if he heard of this drink in Europe Absinthe. and if it ever became legal in the US. At the time still knowing nothing about it.

He said.. "yes we sell a knock off of it over there" he pointed to a bottle called grande absente. I said knock off? He replied "yes its missing the main ingredient, so its not really absinthe"

I bought it anyway because I thought it would look cool in this dragon statue I have thats meant to hold wine bottles. And there is sat for the last 2 years..

All this time I still wanted the real thing. A couple months ago I started checking over seas for it. But a lot of the sites didnt look legitimate. Like some stuff called devils absinthe (something like that) that has a devil horned beetle in the bottle claiming 35mg thujone. $210 a bottle.. hmmm... Every bottle on that site had one 5 star review... hmmm.. fake...

Then I watched a documentary on absinthe. How it started where it came from. At the end they were talking about ted breaux and how he made one of the first American sold absinthe called Lucid. Im like "wait a min!" What did he say... American sold???

And did he say "Lucid".. why do I know that name? Then they showed a bottle. WHAT!!! Ive seen that bottle in the liquor store many times. I passed by it and thought. wow what a cool looking bottle. Black with yellow eyes really stood out. I always saw the name Lucid on it but never read any more then that.

So wait a min? You mean Ive been searching all this time for absinthe and I could of just drove 1 mile down the road to buy it? hala lu ya!!!!!!!!!!

Went out the next day and got a bottle. Love at first sip!!!

I thought I would hate it. Seeing as how I hate hard liquor and dont even drink beer. But wow!! I was hooked.

Then getting off shift one morning I was thinking to myself.. Why did that bottle of Grande Absinte come with a spoon? If its not real absinthe it shouldnt louche. (although now i believe the louche comes from anise if im not mistaken, so even knock off absinthe would louche). So I get home and check the label of the bottle that ive been looking at for the last 2 years in my kitchen and.............. YEP!! grande wormwood.. Right on the damn label.. Are you freakin kidding me!! Ive had a real bottle of absinthe in my own home for 2 years and didnt even know it. I assumed the guy at the liquor store knew what he was talking about. And I knew nothing about it at the time.

Thats actually how I found this site. I googled it and found a review on it.

I still havent actually tried it. But loving Lucid I wanted more. I heard about Mansinthe. I almost didnt buy it based on the name. I just hate the name for some reason. But when i saw the label on the bottle I wanted it. When I read it won an award and scored a 90 out of a 100 I sought it out. A place just 12 miles from me sells it. Bought it. And Love it.

The problem is I have no idea what im tasting. Whats wormwood taste like, or anise or fennel? I see some come with no anise. So I want to try those to see the difference.

I also hear people say there is a push pull effect with the herbs, or a "lucid drunk". I dont even know what I'm feeling. So next on my list was to try a absinthe with a higher thujone content. Sure i've been drunk when i was younger, but I cant tell much of a difference with absinthe. I figure if I try a absinthe with higher thujone I know what the effects of wormwood is compared to the alcohol. And it would be easier to tell when drinking something like lucid.

Sooooo... Back to over seas shopping. I came across a website called Alandia.

This site looked legit. A ton of absinthe's to pick from. Dozens of reviews on each. And apparently just what I was looking for.. They say they are allowed to sell high content thujone absinthe if they call it bitter. There is a section there called strong absinthe.

apparently these are supposed to have high thujone content.

However...... Mansinthe is on that list. That cant have a high thujone content if its sold in the US. It has to be under 10mg. So it makes me wonder about Strong68 claiming 33 or 35mg... shipping is going to cost at least $50. So i figured order two bottles of something.

I settled on Strong68 because of the mostly good reviews on their site, and Gothica. Just because its different. Although I dont imagine Id be able to even drink Gothica seeing as how i hate hard liquor. It got 5 star reviews but even those said it tastes like licking a fairies scrotum.

They claim 6 to 8 days to ship.. This was another bonus. I figure wow that seems pretty fast. If it doesnt show up I can dispute the charge and Im not at a loss.

I remembered this site.. and checked here before i placed a order. I read and read. Untill I came across something here saying.... If you buy something claiming to have 30+mg of thujone you arent getting what you think you paid for.

Alandia can say what they want to make a sale. But here no one is making money. So I figure this is a better source. Now im thinking Strong68 would of been a rip off..

I also dont see Alandia on your vendor list.

So Im thinking anything claiming to have high thujone is a rip off. But I checked out Suisse Verte on here and the reviews say its great. On Alandia it has great reviews. So I'm slightly thrown now..

Also I think ordering something like Strong68 or Suisse Verte has a slight forbidden appeal. Since you cant just go to your local liquor store to buy it. And technically if its really high thujone it wouldnt even be approved in the US.

Although in Europe I guess 10mg is the max anyway unless they call it a bitter. Then its max can be 35mg. If my info is correct. Which I doubt..

QUESTIONS:

So I already know where to find absinthe without anise to see the difference in the taste of licorice. But whats a decent sight to buy a good absinthe I cant get in the US? And is it really a rip off to buy a absinthe claiming high thujone? You guys rate Suisse Verte pretty well. I have seen the vendor list so actually i guess part of that question is already answered. Not sure if there are any over seas vendors though. Guess i will click on them all..

I came across a thread here with someone saying Alandia was shipping them Suisse Verte but its been 3 weeks and it never showed up. the thread just ended though. I never found out the out come. So in the opinion of everyone here.... Shop at Alandia? or stay away?

well... off to browse this site..

Ah thank you Finger.. I saw that page yesterday apparently. Thats where I must of seen the comment that I mention in my extremely long post no one is ever going to read

"If your purchase was based on claims of high thujone, you didn't get what you thought you were buying."

But yesterday i was browsing from my phone. Much easier tonight since I'm on my laptop. And apparently there are Europe vendors. So great. Off to a better start. Thank you

Edited by tattooed_medic

Welcome! Buying from overseas vendors is fine, but to begin with why not buy from a US vendor like DrinkUpNewYork or Catskill Cellars? They sell excellent absinthe. Don't worry about the thujone content; you won't notice any difference between the higher content and the lower content.

Sorry, I did skim your first post but it was a tad too long! I think I got the gist!

He said.. "yes we sell a knock off of it over there" he pointed to a bottle called grande absente. I said knock off? He replied "yes its missing the main ingredient, so its not really absinthe"

A vendor knowledgeable of his wares, and honest. That's worth something right there.

I assumed the guy at the liquor store knew what he was talking about.

He did. The formula changed from what it was originally. Maybe he didn't know that, or maybe he had one of the original bottles.

I see some come with no anise. So I want to try those to see the difference.

No anise, it's not absinthe.

I figure if I try a absinthe with higher thujone I know what the effects of wormwood is compared to the alcohol.

You figure incorrectly. Thujone is meaningless. In the amount it would take to affect you, it would kill you first.

So Im thinking anything claiming to have high thujone is a rip off.

You think correctly. It's not necessarily a ripoff in terms of the quality of the absinthe, which has nothing to do with thujone, but if they're touting thujone, you shouldn't reward them by sending your money to them.

And is it really a rip off to buy a absinthe claiming high thujone?

It's a response to misleading marketing, but almost certainly a ripoff as well.

Welcome.

I'm gonna lay it out nice and personal for you because that's how I roll.

1. FUCK Alandia

2. Strong 68 isn't absinthe.

3. Plenty of knock offs louche with anise, many don't. Anise is a required ingredient for absinthe.

4. The only real absinthe you have is Lucid. Grande Absente fails the "no sugar" test even though they replaced the southern wormwood with grande wormwood for the "grande" version.

5. Suisse Verte may or may not be absinthe but see point #1 as to why I don't even bother with it.

6. Thujone is hype, you won't be able to tell the difference between under 10ppm and 35, or even 50. Anyone marketing thujone is scamming you. It doesn't do what they told you it does anyways.

You guys rate Suisse Verte pretty well.

Jade Liquors Suisse Verte is rated well. Alandia's Suisse Verte is a completely different product.

In fact we don't even seem to have a review for Alandia's Suisse Verte.

Edited by Evan Camomile

"Welcome! Buying from overseas vendors is fine, but to begin with why not buy from a US vendor like DrinkUpNewYork or Catskill Cellars?"

I mention this in my excessive introduction. But no worries I was bored. It helped pass time, I dont expect anyone to actually read it. But I mention the reason I was looking for a legitimate over seas vendor was to have something that not anyone can just go down to your local liquor store to buy. Something "unique".

I've been looking at http://www.absintheonline.com. 3rd on the vendor list. Two caught my attention

Absinthe Nouvelle Vague and Absinthe Brevans H.R Giger

Im about to check on here for reviews of them

"The only real absinthe you have is Lucid."

Isnt Mansinthe real absinthe? I guess I saw it won a gold medal and just assumed it wouldnt have otherwise. Unless they added sugar in there and thats why you're saying its not real.

"You figure incorrectly. Thujone is meaningless. In the amount it would take to affect you, it would kill you first"

Hmm... My exp with absinthe is new. Ive only finished half a bottle of Lucid and half of Mansinthe. So maybe its lack of experience with it, or the fact that i never used to drink at all (for the most part). So I honestly cant say I remember what drunk feels like to compare it to. I guess if I really wanted to know I should just try drinking a liquor instead of trying absinthe with higher thujone. Since thats pointless.

Thanks for all the welcomes too.. I better not tell the gf im on this site. She already said I have an addiction. I call it a passion though.

Its all in the wording :thumbup:

What the heck is going on with this site? In my very first post after i clicked post I saw this randomly put in there "Luscious Oily Lesbians!." just tossed in a sentence.

This time I clicked preview and it did it again. Right in my first sentence it randomly tossed in "Luscious Oily Lesbians!." Its not in the edit box but its showing up in the preview... I swear Im not drinking right now. Im actually at work. Im going to post this and see if it still shows up

Yep it showed up. I had to click edit to get it to appear in the edit box so I could remove it. What the heck?

Edited by tattooed_medic

I dont expect anyone to actually read it.
Most of us read it. Some of don't retain much anymore. :laugh:
Isnt Mansinthe real absinthe?
Yes, it is real absinthe and generally considered pretty good.
"Luscious Oily Lesbians![/i]."
Nothing more than a filter to remind us us that this is a Forum, not a chat room. You have time to carefully consider your posts and to use proper grammar. You will find it here. Besides, who doesn't like Luscious Oily Lesbians?

Have fun. :cheers:

Grey: I live in a city called Altamonte Springs. Basically its Orlando.

Joe: I thought I was losing my mind. Very true. Lesbians are great.

ITS DONE!

Well it only took me weeks of searching, and the last 3 hours at work reading, but... Finally placed my first order from Germany just minutes ago. I was going to go with absintheonline But after checking out all the websites on the vendor list here I liked the bigger selection at absinthe.de

I trust this forum but looked up other reviews else where of absinthe.de and felt very confident with placing a order from them. Also it seems i got more bang for the buck.

Instead of ordering just a bottle of H.R Giger I ordered

Absinthe Brevans H.R Giger set. Comes with 2 glasses (which I could use), 2 spoons, and a poster from the art work on the bottle. Nice bonus.

I also ordered Nouvelle Vague. Both seem to have gotten very high ratings here. Another bonus, for free I could pick a item. Spoon or Brouilleur streamline. I figure i will now have 4 spoons so I went with the streamline. I cant imagine me ever using water first and then adding absinthe. But what the heck.

I only pray these make it to my house. And in one piece.

Edited by tattooed_medic

They will make it. Absinthe.de is fine although they take a lot longer than Liqueurs de France for some reason. My last order from them took almost three weeks, whereas my last order from LdF took about four days.

I just bought my first bottle of Brevans AO Spare and I love it. I want to try the Giger next time I order overseas. I've never heard of Nouvelle Vague.

Ordering overseas is great and I do it often, but I do recommend you forget about the thujone content and give some US-made and US-available brands a try too. Lucid pales in comparison to some of these: Ridge, Duplais Verte, Pacifique, any of the Delaware Phoenixes (although Meadow of Love is a favorite), and Obsello are some of my favorites available from US vendors.

I still haven't tried Marteau which has an excellent reputation, Vieux Carre and Vieux Pontarlier are two good ones you'll hear a lot about on this forum, and I like St. George too.

Welcome to the adventure!

"Welcome! Buying from overseas vendors is fine, but to begin with why not buy from a US vendor like DrinkUpNewYork or Catskill Cellars?"

I .... But I mention the reason I was looking for a legitimate over seas vendor was to have something that not anyone can just go down to your local liquor store to buy. Something "unique".

I've been looking at http://www.absintheonline.com. 3rd on the vendor list. ....

You have no idea what you are missing, many folks reading this are just probably shaking their heads. CC sells exellent absinthes from the USA and Europe, and most of either will not be on local stores. unless you live nextdoor to CC. USA absinthes are becoming so good, many europeans producers would love to ban/disparage them. The USA absinthes sold at CC are all hand crafted artisanal spirits made with quality ingerdients, by people who put their work and soul into making the best absinthe they can. Pacific, Delaware Phoenix, Vieux Carre, and Ridge are among the quality brands they carry.

That said, the folks at absinthes.com are also very good, and have some good selections. Emile Pernot, the Jades, La Clandestine, and Zufanek are all good brands.

The FAQs and the review section are your friends, and will ward off evil spirits from your wallet. :)

Edited by Père Ubu

... people who put their... soul into making the best absinthe they can.
Well, that would explain the funny taste, I suppose. ;)

I consider many of the quality European distillers my colleagues and friends. I would strongly encourage folks to sample their delicious wares. Eventually, give the US absinthes a whirl, too. The list that Père Ubu posted is impressive and Ridge is sincerely humbled to be included in it. It's pretty cool to have a quality list of absinthe available, now. Only a very few years ago, we were not so fortunate. :cheers:

many folks reading this are just probably shaking their heads

WE'RE ALL JUDGING YOU!

Ok, that was a bit harsh, but we do get a lot of noobs that dismiss American stores and brands off hand, pretending they know about the 'real absinthe'. Gets a bit old, and in the end, they only allow the hype to cheat their own wallet and palate.

The domestic absinthes are no more real than czechsinth.

That wasn't from a quote in this thread so don't go looking for it.

The thing was what I read and hear most every day.

Well, most of us know what real absinthe is or should be.

Some folks prefer shopping overseas so they can be assured, in their mind, that what they are buying is the real deal.

Hmm, Horse shit!

I buy domestic because it supports local folks, it is the real deal and most all the domestic producers are there for you if you have a problem. Service after the sale!

Sorry, something struck a nerve. :wave2:

many folks reading this are just probably shaking their heads

WE'RE ALL JUDGING YOU!

Ok, that was a bit harsh, but we do get a lot of noobs that dismiss American stores and brands off hand, pretending they know about the 'real absinthe'. Gets a bit old

Ah, no worries. I was just having a laugh. It sort of struck me as one of those talks from your father, where he tells you he's really disappointed in you, your decisions, and your wasted potential. Only if your father was a complete stranger.

I agree with you though, in that there are always lots of people new to absinthe who have only been exposed to the rubbish "truth" that American absinthe isn't real. But can you blame them? There's more of that nonsense out there, so the probability they would see that first is just a little higher. No dramas, mate. It's what we do. We provide some info and a venue for discourse. Except when I'm an asshole, that is.

Bill's right too.

Well, you've certainly come to the right place to learn about absinthe.

And as mentioned, fortunately there are many fine brands to choose from (amongst all the garbage).

Welcome to the Forum, from a Jersey dude who went West vs. South. :arrr:

"The only real absinthe you have is Lucid."

Isnt Mansinthe real absinthe? I guess I saw it won a gold medal and just assumed it wouldnt have otherwise. Unless they added sugar in there and thats why you're saying its not real.

Yes it is real. My bad, I must've glossed over your purchase of Mansinthe. For whatever reason, I thought you decided not to get it from your introduction.