Sign in to follow this  
Steven

eBay Listing For Vintage Absinthe

As far as I know it is conventional wisdom, for any high proof spirit, that contact with the cork is a bad idea. The biggest issue would be a musty "corked" flavor from the cork damaging the taste of the product. Anything over 15% ABV (30 proof) I would not store on its side.

Even products with lower ABV, such as most wines, can become "corked" and taste nasty thanks to the natural cork. The reason wine is often stored on its side is to wet the cork and provide a better seal. The low ABV of wine makes this not much of a problem most of the time.

Edited by Evan Camomile

Hi,

Please could you link to an article or report that confirms what you are saying?:-)

Thanks

Steph

As far as I know it is conventional wisdom, for any high proof spirit, that contact with the cork is a bad idea. The biggest issue would be a musty "corked" flavor from the cork damaging the taste of the product. Anything over 15% ABV (30 proof) I would not store on its side.

Even products with lower ABV, such as most wines, can become "corked" and taste nasty thanks to the natural cork. The reason wine is often stored on its side is to wet the cork and provide a better seal. The low ABV of wine makes this not much of a problem most of the time.

It's certainly reasonable to say that high proof alchohol can leach flavors from what it comes into contact with. This is how many spirits (like absinthe) are made. That's not exactly a controversial or new claim.

That's not to say that your bottles are corked or defective, but due to their improper storage the risk is certainly present.

Evan and Joe are not making any outrageous claims here.

Edited by Phoenix

Hi,

interesting this: improper storage...

wineries from which come the bottles have such a variety of bottles of all kinds and drinks sold anywhere in Europe that the definition of improper storage seems to me... improper, but mine was a simple question, which relates to a claim, it looks to me like a simple opinion,that's all.

Nice to talk,anyway ;-)

Steph

Cellars where the bottles are from has a perfect sotorage

It's certainly reasonable to say that high proof alchohol can leach flavors from what it comes into contact with. This is how many spirits (like absinthe) are made. That's not exactly a controversial or new claim.

That's not to say that your bottles are corked or defective, but due to their improper storage the risk is certainly present.

Evan and Joe are not making any outrageous claims here.

I own a bottle of 1930 Tarragona that was heavily corked or cork damaged. The cork was eaten or rotted away and although it smelled wonderful........it sucked. I tried to make it work but the sample bottles are still on the shelf and the cork pieces are right next to them.

Just so you may understand my concern. It's a valid concern.

Peace.

it was probably been kept up, cork rots with oxidation (it's organic), you can ask any biologist.

peace?

Of course

Nice to meet you

Best

I own a bottle of 1930 Tarragona that was heavily corked or cork damaged. The cork was eaten or rotted away and although it smelled wonderful........it sucked. I tried to make it work but the sample bottles are still on the shelf and the cork pieces are right next to them.

Just so you may understand my concern. It's a valid concern.

Peace.

You know, I was trying to be nice for a change.

I called it conventional wisdom for a reason but if you want a source I'll do my best to dig one up other than a quick wikipedia search on cork taint. Or you could ask anyone who actually works in the spirits industry since obviously this is your first try at it. Want me to hold your hand with the next problem in your business venture too? As a retailer it is your onus to operate well, not the customers to provide sources. If we make a claim, prove us wrong or look into it.

As I said wine is low enough ABV to not usually have this problem, hence different storage methods. Although corking happens even then sometimes.

The fact that you work with vintage spirits and do not already know about corking (cork damage) really makes me question what you are doing and how well you do it. This is pretty basic information even for those of us who are on the consumer end of the deal.

Did you just stumble across a cache of pre-ban and figure you could make some dough off of it? Because at this point that is the best case scenario that I can paint for you.

Hello,

I'm sorry if I made you a question you, and it seemed provocative,maybe is my poor english, but in my (alleged) ignorance I just wondered if you had a scientific source that could confirm the claim that a bottle of alcohol lying on its side destroys the cork more than a bottle kept up, so I'm sorry .. it was only a question :-)

Anyway i'm sure you are a good connoisseur of vintage spirits.

Best regards

Steph

You know, I was trying to be nice for a change.

I called it conventional wisdom for a reason but if you want a source I'll do my best to dig one up other than a quick wikipedia search on cork taint. Or you could ask anyone who actually works in the spirits industry since obviously this is your first try at it. Want me to hold your hand with the next problem in your business venture too? As a retailer it is your onus to operate well, not the customers to provide sources. If we make a claim, prove us wrong or look into it.

As I said wine is low enough ABV to not usually have this problem, hence different storage methods. Although corking happens even then sometimes.

The fact that you work with vintage spirits and do not already know about corking (cork damage) really makes me question what you are doing and how well you do it. This is pretty basic information even for those of us who are on the consumer end of the deal.

Did you just stumble across a cache of pre-ban and figure you could make some dough off of it? Because at this point that is the best case scenario that I can paint for you.

I have a bottle that was stored on it side from 1930. The cork was eaten away and left with lots of sediment and a very nasty drink. I have the bottle, cork and absinthe. Come on over and I'll show you. :)

Maybe to help put this to rest would be to decant a small amount from one of the bottles with a syringe and taste it, as they used to say "nothing ventured, nothing gained". And if it's good, sell samples from that bottle.

And like Bill, I have a 1920's Amer Picon that has "corked", but I knew going in I was taking a chance, as the saying goes...

Most wines are designed to be consumed within a couple years anyway. I for one am tired of rolling the dice on trying to age a wine and finding out when we pop it that it's gone bad. Has happened a few times, even with a temperature controlled wine fridge. Since I live in CA, we mostly load up on local Pinot and Cab anyway, it's gotten so damn good and doesn't need a lot of age to it. Yes you can spend a bunch on special bottles of wine, but it's certainly a case of diminishing returns (imho).

As for absinthe, I'm not sure why you would want to store it on its side to begin with. If it's properly sealed (and preferably waxed) it will last a long time standing up, and you don't want to risk degrading the cork with the high ABV. If you have the willpower to store absinthe long enough to worry about the cork you have far more restraint than this imbiber. In my experience, even loosely corked absinthes only get better with time.

It's really, really great. No trace of cork of course.

I think Michele will post some photos later...

Funny thing is, that Evan, Joe, Brian, Scott, Absomphe and other have reviewed other bottles from the same cache right here at Wormwood Society. :laugh:

Anyway - we bought a second bottle :mbanana:

Funny thing is, that Evan, Joe, Brian, Scott, Absomphe and other have reviewed other bottles from the same cache right here at Wormwood Society. :laugh:

Actually, there are three entries for Pernod Fils vintage bottles, a 1910 cache, the Winnetka cache, and the 1914 cache. None are from the Palazzo cache.

However, even with the Palazzo cache, I'd be much more comfortable buying it from someone like Oxygenee, since there is a higher degree of standards regarding storage and provenance. Every time it changes hands, there is a chance of something going wrong. Since we don't know Stephy, there is a certain level of aprehension.