Sign in to follow this  
Steven

eBay Listing For Vintage Absinthe

Hard to say with any certainty.

The information on the listing looks ok but there are questions. I wish Stephanie would have given us a chance to become better acquainted. While the bottles look like hell, I'm more concerned about them being stored on their side: high proof alcohol can dissolve cork ruining the contents which is why we recommend storing your bottles upright. That said, the samples and photos look very agreeable.

As always, let the buyer beware.

Wow, so hard to tell, but: She only has 5 feedbacks on Ebay, and her website is "coming soon."

If it is on the level, it isn't the strongest start when items so rare, expensive, and hard to prove are being offered.

I would think that if you have a link to your website on the auction page, you would actually want a site to exist,which it doesn't...At least not yet. I think this seller needs to do more to establish trustworthiness before expecting people to fork over so much. No disrespect intended, just business advice.

Also, I find it it odd that these bottles were used when they were supposedly bottled by the manufacturer.

In the past when non-factory bottles were used, it was because a restaurant or someone with a large supply broke their absinthe down into smaller bottles on their own....am I correct?

I thought of that but considering the seller had already posted their intent on their introductory thread and I consider this a cautionary discussion, it seems very appropriate.

Phoenix is correct, of course. Usually, it is considered poor form to post eBay items. That rule may be somewhat passe', now.

Didn't ruin my day at all. I'm in Pere Ubu's boat. I can't afford to be buying bottles of pre-ban in my current financial situation.

You've got the green light from a mod so it's obvious you're not doing anything wrong. I wasn't aware that things had changed. The fault is all mine.

That said, if it's okay to talk about this auction then it's my belief that the auction is totally legit. The write up is well done, the photos look correct and when looking at the feedback I see that Marc purchased a bottle of a different pre-ban absinthe from this seller awhile back and left positive feedback. It may even be the same bottle that's now for sale in his webshop. I can't say 100% either way, but if I had the money I would roll the dice on this one.

Edited by Phoenix

You've got the green light from a mod so it's obvious you're not doing anything wrong. I wasn't aware that things had changed.

I don't know that things have changed. As I mentioned, with the seller already posting the info and as a cautionary post, I think it's very cool. I'm sure that everyone on WS is fairly eBay-astute so that whole hush-hush thing seems a little silly. I know no one wants to go into a bidding war with a friend so I understand but what the hey...Scott will probably buy it anyway. :poke:

Me? No bidding here. I'm just a lowly distiller/school teacher. :cheers:

HA! Frankly, I've enjoyed the few pre-bans I've had, but I could never afford to pull the trigger on a bottle. I don't think I'd even want to. It just seems nuts to spend that kind of money when there are some damn fine modern absinthes being made that make me smile. As I've said before, it's really about the people for me; the absinthe and antiques that I love so much have been vehicles for me to make true, deep friends, and add some new magic to my life.

I've thought about it a bit, and I prefer spending money on absinthe that is being produced now, in order to support the people who are making it. I'm sure it's challenging and costly, and that the journey is ever- challenging for them. When folks who's hearts are still beating walk this path, I prefer supporting them instead of some long-burried guy who got his ya-yas out back in the day.

Besides Phoenix, all the old guitars that found their way to me over 20 years (that I sold to buy those antiques) are gone now! The best part of being broke is the good company. :cheers:

Besides Joe, all the old guitars that found their way to me over 20 years (that I sold to buy those antiques) are gone now!

FTFY

Edited by Phoenix

If I can just toss my two cents in on this bit. I agree with Phoenix, not only is the sale-as-a-first-post thing in bad form, but the ebay rule is specifically meant to avoid people coming in here and starting a bidding war. I don't think that'll be the case with these sale items, but still.

Looking at the current bid. i'd say I hope it goes to a good home and not to just some jaded consumer of rare goods. I hope the lucky winner will take care of the bottle, sing lullabies to it and rock it to sleep. :g: i know I would if I had the means to do so...then drink it slowly, and make it last. Oh the guilt, the delicious guilt of drinking something so beautiful and rare! Like slaying a unicorn :shock: ! A man can dream can't he! :dribble:

I agree with Phoenix, not only is the sale-as-a-first-post thing in bad form, but the ebay rule is specifically meant to avoid people coming in here and starting a bidding war.

Agreed.

This one is a difficult situation though. It's certainly smart to inquire about this sale, given the lack of reputation from the seller. Further, the seller themselves 'outed' the auction, so it wasn't really private at that point. Even though it turned out that, after some digging, this might be authentic, I don't fault people for questioning it.

Maybe those questions should be made in private next time, coupled with a conversation as to whether the information should be made public in order to protect the membership from fraudulent sales.

I think we've now made it clear that it is in bad form for a member to post about an active auction or sale (unless it is found to be fraudulent). I think we've also made it even more clear that it is even more serious of an offense for a seller of little or no repute to make a post about their own sale in order to create a bidding war.

Cheers to all. :cheers:

Perhaps it's a good idea to add this protocol to the intro section somewhere. If a member here sees an auction that is clearly not what it claims to be, it is a good thing to bring up. This happens a lot on the French forum, and it's amazing how many fakes are knowingly or unknowingly put up on EBay.

What I've done a few times has been to contact the seller in a friendly way first, saying "that topette you're selling is really an olive oil cruet" or something to that effect. They usually will correct the listing, and then there's no need to say a thing here. If they refuse to change it, for whatever reason, then warning folks seems like the right thing to do.

Perhaps it's a good idea to add this protocol to the intro section somewhere. If a member here sees an auction that is clearly not what it claims to be, it is a good thing to bring up.

I'm just wondering if she'd be willing to swap an old crusty bottle of that brownish/yellow stuff with the crappy label for my brand spankin' new bottle of electric green.

I apologize if creating this thread was in poor form, but my intentions were honorable. I am very new to the world of absinthe. I just received my very first bottles from absinthes.com I haven't even tried it yet. I got swept up in the idea of trying some pre-ban and found this listing. I wasn't even sure if the practise of distilleries using demijohns to fill random bottles was legit, it seemed suspicious.

Thank you to everyone that responded :cheers:

The information on the listing looks ok but there are questions. I wish Stephanie would have given us a chance to become better acquainted. While the bottles look like hell, I'm more concerned about them being stored on their side: high proof alcohol can dissolve cork ruining the contents which is why we recommend storing your bottles upright. That said, the samples and photos look very agreeable.

Sorry, but the concept that alcohol dissolves the corks I have not really understood,

alcohol preserves the flesh for years, fruit and other organic form ... but not the cork?

The cork is destroyed by water and bacteria.

Like all things organic.

Anyway i can confirm you that the bottles are keep in the same conditions of any bottles we sold in the past years, and i left the link: antiquespirits.com to see A PART of the bottles sold.

These are autentique bottles of pre-ban absinthe.

Best :-)

Steph

Hello

Steph